Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (348 Viewers)

RAMI-N

★ ★ ★
Aug 22, 2006
Alessandro Del Piero admits he apologised repeatedly for the horrific challenge on Modena’s Nicola Campedelli.
The midfielder had to be stretchered off after the Juventus captain hacked him down in last night’s 1-0 victory for the Bianconeri.
“It was a difficult, hard game, one in which we struggled, and I am very sorry for my foul on Campedelli,” said the captain.
“Obviously I apologised to him both during and after the match, going to check on his condition following the final whistle.”
Campedelli suffered ankle ligament damage and initial reports suggest he'll be out for at least a month.
Modena Coach Bortolo Mutti slammed Del Piero for the tackle that he felt deserved a dismissal, especially as Juve went on to win 1-0 in the final minute.
“It’s great to win again on our travels after a series of fairly disappointing results,” continued the Italian international.
“At this stage of the season it is crucial we speed up our progress and to do that just winning at home is not enough. I’m content with the victory and my own performance, as at the moment I am playing well.”
Serie B fixtures are generally spread out over Saturday afternoon with a Friday and Monday evening game.
However, the Lega Calcio has today announced that Juventus will play on a Sunday in their top of the table clash with Piacenza on March 4.
“Now we face this appointment with Piacenza and playing on a Sunday almost gives me a sense of nostalgia,” smiled the former Serie A star.
The Lega Calcio has also confirmed that in Serie A Ascoli-Roma and Livorno-Inter will be played on Saturday March 3 at 15.00 local time, 14.00 in the UK, while Milan-Chievo is the evening game. All other Serie A fixtures are on Sunday afternoon.

Football Italia :smoke:

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
It was a tough game where both teams did there fair share of nonsense. Modena played very tough as did we. I think this subject has been overanalysed by the press. But, that is what they do I guess.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
No matter what people think, sometimes you're unlucky in your tackles. I'm sure Del Piero didn't want to injure the guy. Perhaps he did want to hurt him a little though. Anyways, he apologises during and after the game and checks the guy's condition. What more can you do? Especially after the fouls DP himself suffered during the game.

RAMI-N

★ ★ ★
Aug 22, 2006
No matter what people think, sometimes you're unlucky in your tackles. I'm sure Del Piero didn't want to injure the guy. Perhaps he did want to hurt him a little though. Anyways, he apologises during and after the game and checks the guy's condition. What more can you do? Especially after the fouls DP himself suffered during the game.
:tup:

Christina

vanilla pudding
Aug 21, 2006
:agree:He was mad, and he realized that what he did was wrong.

zizoufan

Z.Z T h e M a s t e r
May 25, 2004
here we go mister delpiero's advocate.
Anyway, we all know here that delpiero is the king of fair play. He suffered a lot in this match and his reaction was inevitable. Good that DD subbed him after all

AngelaL

Jinx Minx
Aug 25, 2006
Modena players were not little angels themselves, &, I doubt that il capitano intended any serious harm to the player. I do think the Modena coach went OTT in his moaning about it.

malducato1

Dec 26, 2005
I've watched a lot of the games this year and every team Juve plays has it's players hack Del Piero and more often than not these guys get away with it. You can only take so many tackles from behind and it not start to bother you.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Thats why I said that he has the right to be angry. Who knows, one of these tackles might just finish his career like it almost did 9years ago and we all know that famous incident. He can't always accept these kind of things. he's a human after-all.

Ahmedios

Nov 11, 2006
I'm not against aggression in football, on the contrary, I prefer motivated aggressive players. But being aggressive and tough is a thing and intentional hurting is completely another different thing. Unfortunately, Del Piero has been a victim to such a howler since his career's early days as well as Marco Van Basten. I said earlier that Del Piero shouldn't have reacted that way, but at the end I have to admit that he's suffered and, without a doubt, he doesn't want to suffer and suffer again.

mnementh

Jun 5, 2005
Very true.. Del Piero was annoyed by many dirty tackles from modena players.
A lot of the "criticism" from rival football fans against Del Piero was always that he's too soft and not fighting it on the pitch... (not that they were right). Italians like aggression in football sometimes, they say it's the sports of men. I like the fact that Del Piero was never dirty and rough.... but this probably adds points to him in the Italian public in the end.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
Thats why I said that he has the right to be angry. Who knows, one of these tackles might just finish his career like it almost did 9years ago and we all know that famous incident. He can't always accept these kind of things. he's a human after-all.
i think he was a bit frustrated and more tired as it showed it was a lazy tackle but very clumsy.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
even if u dont like del pierio, i think this man is the most descent person in the soccer world. i mean it was obvious even after the challenge del piero was'nt thinking right and seemed very nervous and that why dd made the right choice of replacing him bec he had to sort it out with the injured player. honestly dp is the aristocrat of italian football with out a doubt!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 342)