Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (82 Viewers)

Aug 17, 2007
Well, it's great for the Australians, no doubt. He's the biggest player ever to play in Australia, that's for sure. But that doesn't mean this project has a big chance.

They said Ale will be their Beckham. This transfer is not even close to Beckham's. All the world was shocked when Becks- still young back then, for sure comparing to Ale today- left Real for 50m-per-year in LA. Ale's move looks for most of the world like a 38 years old player found his 'Del Boca vista', that's all. Old player makes money, that's how it looks. Plus, Beckham is a bigger celeb than Ale, worldwide.

Now- Usa did and do much more to develope football. It has more money, better stadiums, and they try since the 70's. It started with Pele and the Cosmus, continued in the 90's when they created the MLS and many old guys joined (Stoichkov, Valderama, Mattehus and co.) and recently with Beckham and Henry. And still, most people in Usa don't care about Soccer. It's better than it was 20 years ago, but Beckham and Henry's move didn't have the effect the league directors expected. They only attract old fellas. Plus, we gotta admit, USA as a country attracts people much more than Australia, no offence.

So I don't think Ale's move will have a dramatic effect on Australian football. Right, more fans in Sydney's games and all, but that's all. This league barely exist (teams changes every year, losing their license and all this shit), no way Ale by himself could turn it to something close to the MLS. And of course I hope I'm wrong, I wish him all the best there. I hope it'll be a huge success story. But I don't think so. I just hope he knows exactly what's the level of football there and won't be shocked when he arrives.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
Well, it's great for the Australians, no doubt. He's the biggest player ever to play in Australia, that's for sure. But that doesn't mean this project has a big chance.

They said Ale will be their Beckham. This transfer is not even close to Beckham's. All the world was shocked when Becks- still young back then, for sure comparing to Ale today- left Real for 50m-per-year in LA. Ale's move looks for most of the world like a 38 years old player found his 'Del Boca vista', that's all. Old player makes money, that's how it looks. Plus, Beckham is a bigger celeb than Ale, worldwide.

Now- Usa did and do much more to develope football. It has more money, better stadiums, and they try since the 70's. It started with Pele and the Cosmus, continued in the 90's when they created the MLS and many old guys joined (Stoichkov, Valderama, Mattehus and co.) and recently with Beckham and Henry. And still, most people in Usa don't care about Soccer. It's better than it was 20 years ago, but Beckham and Henry's move didn't have the effect the league directors expected. They only attract old fellas. Plus, we gotta admit, USA as a country attracts people much more than Australia, no offence.

So I don't think Ale's move will have a dramatic effect on Australian football. Right, more fans in Sydney's games and all, but that's all. This league barely exist (teams changes every year, losing their license and all this shit), no way Ale by himself could turn it to something close to the MLS. And of course I hope I'm wrong, I wish him all the best there. I hope it'll be a huge success story. But I don't think so. I just hope he knows exactly what's the level of football there and won't be shocked when he arrives.
One of two things will happen, he is either a massive boost for Australian football like I already said or two, he isn't and if that happens then I don't think anything short of Messi (now, not 38) signing for the A-League, the Socceroos winning the World Cup or many matches being broadcast live on free TV will change the A-League positively in any drastic way for the next 10+ years.

Also, Beckham earns $6.5m a year not $50m.

Aug 17, 2007
One of two things will happen, he is either a massive boost for Australian football like I already said or two, he isn't and if that happens then I don't think anything short of Messi (now, not 38) signing for the A-League, the Socceroos winning the World Cup or many matches being broadcast live on free TV will change the A-League positively in any drastic way for the next 10+ years.

Also, Beckham earns $6.5m a year not $50m.
In his first year with the Galaxy, he earned 50 million dollars.

Aug 17, 2007
waste of whats left of DP's talent....should have gone to the EPL
That's all I think about since the signing. It eats me, I wanted him to prove how well in can do at the high levels even at 38.

:depressed

---------- Post added 05.09.2012 at 19:50 ----------

"The 5-year deal includes up to $10 million a year in direct salary, and with merchandising endorsements and profit-sharing could earn Beckham up to $50 million a year, and may end up worth about $250 million in five years, making him one of the highest earning athletes of all time".

And the headlines back then were exactly like that. "250M dollars for 5 years", it was a big shock.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
"The 5-year deal includes up to $10 million a year in direct salary, and with merchandising endorsements and profit-sharing could earn Beckham up to $50 million a year, and may end up worth about $250 million in five years, making him one of the highest earning athletes of all time".

And the headlines back then were exactly like that. "250M dollars for 5 years", it was a big shock.
Though many worldwide media outlets reported the deal to be worth US$250 million, the astronomical figure was soon revealed to be something of a PR stunt engineered by Beckham's media handlers (British representative agency 19 Entertainment). In order to maximise the media effect, in the press release they decided to list the potential sum that Beckham could make over the 5-year period from all his revenue sources, which in addition to his Galaxy pay also include his personal endorsements. Beckham's actual deal with the Galaxy was a 5-year contract worth US$32.5 million in total or $6.5 million per year.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Regardless of level of play, many of you don't understand what an impact he will have on the Australian game. First of all, Sydney (and Melbourne especially...Adelaide and Perth both have quite a fair few Italians and other 'wogs' also) has a large Italian population and many of these people already follow Serie A & Azzurri or will be tempted to go to games just because of him. Second of all, he will be by far the best player to ever play in the league, there hasn't been anyone even close to his level before in the A-League so his ability alone will draw people in. With the previous part, there also hasn't really been a massive marquee signing like this before, Harry Kewell signed for Melbourne Victory last season but he is not even close to the international icon that Del Piero is. Dwight Yorke was probably the most successful marquee signing and Dwight Yorke vs Del Piero...come on.

Kids will be inspired by Del Piero and imagine what the players that play with and against him that have never played with/against a player of his class will learn. He really has the opportunity to leave a massive mark on the game here and as some have already said he could end up being the MLS Beckham of A-League. It really should be an invaluable signing for Australian football.

Also, you have to know that one of the main reasons of why the A-League isn't that popular is because the quality is lacking. There are huge amounts of EPL fans plus a good amount of La Liga, Serie A etc fans that don't take interest in the A-League because of the class difference. He can only increase the level of the A-League.
It's not just a difference in class. To Europeans it is incomprehensible that it's a professional league. Like I said, guys who are playing in the FIFTH league of Belgium have been offered professional contracts in Australia.

To be honest I don't think it's even of a similar level as the MLS pre-Beckham.

Aug 17, 2007
It's not just a difference in class. To Europeans it is incomprehensible that it's a professional league. Like I said, guys who are playing in the FIFTH league of Belgium have been offered professional contracts in Australia.

To be honest I don't think it's even of a similar level as the MLS pre-Beckham.
I still wonder if Ale knows everything he needs to know about this league.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003

So I don't think Ale's move will have a dramatic effect on Australian football. Right, more fans in Sydney's games and all, but that's all. This league barely exist (teams changes every year, losing their license and all this $#@!), no way Ale by himself could turn it to something close to the MLS. And of course I hope I'm wrong, I wish him all the best there. I hope it'll be a huge success story. But I don't think so. I just hope he knows exactly what's the level of football there and won't be shocked when he arrives.
Totally agree.

One man can only do so much. At most, he will do what pele did in his years in USA, and maybe in 15 years or so we will see an improvement.

Those kind of changes take a lot of time, specially in countries so far from europe and southamerica, with less famous tournies to play.
USA is making it because they have all the money and sponsors to do whatever they want... and even then is starting to get some momentum NOW, after who knows how many years.

Anyways,, i just hope Ale has fun in his last years of profootie and accomplish his personal objectives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 77)