Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (95 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I'm pretty sure the Aussie A League is below the US A League. But for Del Piero, it's about happiness and playing the game he loves. He'll be able to do that in Sydney. He knows things are winding up, so he might as well enjoy it.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Aug 17, 2007
A Serie B team would win the A-League with 7 players on the pitch.
I think any team from the first 5 divisions- at least- in Italy would win the A-league. 4th place team that loses to a team from the second league in India. I didn't know there's a football league in India, for sure not 2 leagues. Me and my friends can win this Indian team. I can't believe Ale's gonna spent his last years as footballer like this.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
I'm pretty sure the Aussie A League is below the US A League. But for Del Piero, it's about happiness and playing the game he loves. He'll be able to do that in Sydney. He knows things are winding up, so he might as well enjoy it.
It is below it, but exactly. The man has won everything. Let him enjoy his last playing years in Sydney, a beautiful city. He will also have a country that adores him and it will allow for his kids to spend a few years in a great country.

---------- Post added 06.09.2012 at 11:34 ----------

I think any team from the first 5 divisions- at least- in Italy would win the A-league. 4th place team that loses to a team from the second league in India. I didn't know there's a football league in India, for sure not 2 leagues. Me and my friends can win this Indian team. I can't believe Ale's gonna spent his last years as footballer like this.
These teams compete in the Asian champions league, they are not just whipping boys. The A-league teams I mean, they are not that bad. Alex does not owe anyone anything, if he chose this he must be happy, that is all that matter FFS.

Cirillo

Nov 10, 2009
You guys wanna hear something scary? The first team that Ale will face in the A-league, Wellington Phoenix from New Zealand- that finished 4th in the last A-league season (Syndey finished 5th)- suffered a 3-2 loss last Saturday to Shillong Lajong, THE NEWLY PROMOTED TO THE FIRST INDIAN LEAGUE (that's right, the played last season in the second league in India, only 7 teams in this league BTW), during a pre-season tournament. And I don't even wanna quote their coach, who was pretty happy about their performance overall.

Kill me, Ale's gonna play amatuer football.

:sergio:
It really isn't that bad. That wellington team also made up the majority of the NZ team that drew with Italy at the 2010 world cup. also Dwight Yorke played a-league then went on to play in the EPL again. there's no way he would have been able to make the jump back up to EPL if it was amateur level.

It's clearly not Serie A but it's still decent. Teams from here have played the best Asian teams (J-League and K-League) in the Asian Champions League and done quite well.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
It is below it, but exactly. The man has won everything. Let him enjoy his last playing years in Sydney, a beautiful city. He will also have a country that adores him and it will allow for his kids to spend a few years in a great country.
Romario played for Miami in the US A League before moving to Adelaide at around the same age as Alex. He was once asked why not play in the MLS or a European league. He said something to the tune of "I haven't worked so hard not to enjoy the end of my career". He was a G. Del Piero is of the same mold.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
It really isn't that bad. That wellington team also made up the majority of the NZ team that drew with Italy at the 2010 world cup. also Dwight Yorke played a-league then went on to play in the EPL again. there's no way he would have been able to make the jump back up to EPL if it was amateur level.

It's clearly not Serie A but it's still decent. Teams from here have played the best Asian teams (J-League and K-League) in the Asian Champions League and done quite well.
Dwight Yorke also went from being a prolific striker to a sold defensive midfielder.

---------- Post added 05.09.2012 at 23:39 ----------

:agree: Del Piero likes adventures, this is certainly one.
Plus now Delpie fans can order a kit no one else will have.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
I just don't like how people are saying they would rather him retire, rather him go here or there. It isn't about what YOU wan't, it is about what Alex chose and as fans we should be happy for him. This wasn't a last resort but a choice. He could be playing in Nepal, if he is happy, I am happy.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
ADP seemed to be fascinated by the US so I really thought he'd go there. Coming here to Sydney is a huge surprise but I'm not complaining, would love to see the man in real life.

Australians don't really like soccer (Alex will have to start calling it Soccer!:p), they love rough contact sports like Rugby League, Union and Aussie Rules, so maybe his presence will raise its reputation here.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Football is actually pretty big here, AFL is the main sport but I am pretty sure there are more young kids playing football compared to AFL.

Cirillo

Nov 10, 2009
ADP seemed to be fascinated by the US so I really thought he'd go there. Coming here to Sydney is a huge surprise but I'm not complaining, would love to see the man in real life.

Australians don't really like soccer (Alex will have to start calling it Soccer!:p), they love rough contact sports like Rugby League, Union and Aussie Rules, so maybe his presence will raise its reputation here.
Lets hope so! There is a reason it is the most popular sport in the world!

In reality though, Soccer/Football has higher numbers of youth participation than any other sport in the country. But as there isn't massive opportunities here the most talented athletes get poached by the other sports. once kids turn 15 or 16, they see the opportunity in AFL, League or Rugby and they switch codes.

If this move can generate enough $$ into the sport and allow local clubs to set up the correct infrastructure to allow players to grow and be successful in this country then the move is perfect...

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
Football is actually pretty big here, AFL is the main sport but I am pretty sure there are more young kids playing football compared to AFL.
Soccer has always been the most played sport amongst kids in Australia. It's just perceived as a fun, less potential for injury type sport, which parents are more comfortable in getting their kids involved with. Professional sport is a different story.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

The MLS is a pretty rough and tumble league built on fitness before technical skill. Maybe he thought he didn't want to be giving his body up for anyone but Juventus?

---------- Post added 05.09.2012 at 23:58 ----------

Soccer has always been the most played sport amongst kids in Australia. It's just perceived as a fun, less potential for injury type sport, which parents are more comfortable in getting their kids involved with. Professional sport is a different story.
Just like USA.:D

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
I was near tears when DP make a walk around the stadium in the Atalanta game. My Australian friend left a message on my facebook reminding me of Del Piero in Sydney FC. He seems pretty hyped up about DP. I am very keen to see how DP performs

Forever Del Piero!

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
The MLS is a pretty rough and tumble league built on fitness before technical skill. Maybe he thought he didn't want to be giving his body up for anyone but Juventus?

---------- Post added 05.09.2012 at 23:58 ----------

Just like USA.:D
It's the same here! But I tend to think players will have more respect than just going in and hacking ADP.

A couple of years ago a senior player made a "crocodile" tackle on an up and coming rookie, full twisting his leg and putting him out of the entire season. Heck I don't even know if he's back yet?

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
It's the same here! But I tend to think players will have more respect than just going in and hacking ADP.

A couple of years ago a senior player made a "crocodile" tackle on an up and coming rookie, full twisting his leg and putting him out of the entire season. Heck I don't even know if he's back yet?
He'd get a lot of respect. Henry rarely gets tackled, but aside from tackling it's a fitness first league. There are some technical teams, but maybe the allure of Sydney was too much for him and his wife.

Cirillo

Nov 10, 2009
He'd get a lot of respect. Henry rarely gets tackled, but aside from tackling it's a fitness first league. There are some technical teams, but maybe the allure of Sydney was too much for him and his wife.
He's going to be a poster boy for the whole league throughout Asia - he is massive there (has staff in Japan)! he get's to live in an amazing city with brilliant weather, he will be treated like a god by those who know him and will be able to walk to the shops on his own and no one will bother him. This is all about lifestyle for him!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 85)