Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (113 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Benito Carbone compared it to Serie B level
It's not likely to be anywhere near Serie B level. Italy has professional football down to the Lega Pro Seconda Divisione even players in Eccellenza and below are being paid good money. In all fairness the league must be poor, because I remember how two players from my own league (fifth division in Belgium) got accepted for a team over there (only to end up declining the offer because of homesickness - seriously, must have been the most stupid thing they have ever done). And I am sure those same players would not have been able to play at a Serie B level.

Aug 17, 2007

---------- Post added 05.09.2012 at 18:40 ----------

It's not likely to be anywhere near Serie B level. Italy has professional football down to the Lega Pro Seconda Divisione even players in Eccellenza and below are being paid good money. In all fairness the league must be poor, because I remember how two players from my own league (fifth division in Belgium) got accepted for a team over there (only to end up declining the offer because of homesickness - seriously, must have been the most stupid thing they have ever done). And I am sure those same players would not have been able to play at a Serie B level.
Sad, but true. Ale will play in a very very very weak league. I look at the squad and even the Israeli league is 10 times better. Sydney's got a brazilian defender, 27 years old, that played in the 4th league in Brazil before moving to Australia. This Mcflynn guy, the captain, played regional football in Engalnd before moving to Syndey. It's way below Serie B's level.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Serie B level, yeah right. There are extremely mediocre players from lower European levels who flourished or are flourishing over there. I'd say more like a League 1-League 2 blend in terms of style and level.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
Regardless of level of play, many of you don't understand what an impact he will have on the Australian game. First of all, Sydney (and Melbourne especially...Adelaide and Perth both have quite a fair few Italians and other 'wogs' also) has a large Italian population and many of these people already follow Serie A & Azzurri or will be tempted to go to games just because of him. Second of all, he will be by far the best player to ever play in the league, there hasn't been anyone even close to his level before in the A-League so his ability alone will draw people in. With the previous part, there also hasn't really been a massive marquee signing like this before, Harry Kewell signed for Melbourne Victory last season but he is not even close to the international icon that Del Piero is. Dwight Yorke was probably the most successful marquee signing and Dwight Yorke vs Del Piero...come on.

Kids will be inspired by Del Piero and imagine what the players that play with and against him that have never played with/against a player of his class will learn. He really has the opportunity to leave a massive mark on the game here and as some have already said he could end up being the MLS Beckham of A-League. It really should be an invaluable signing for Australian football.

Also, you have to know that one of the main reasons of why the A-League isn't that popular is because the quality is lacking. There are huge amounts of EPL fans plus a good amount of La Liga, Serie A etc fans that don't take interest in the A-League because of the class difference. He can only increase the level of the A-League.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Regardless of level of play, many of you don't understand of what an impact he will have on the Australian game. First of all, Sydney (and Melbourne especially...Adelaide and Perth both have quite a fair few Italians and other 'wogs' also) has a large Italian population and many of these people already follow Serie A & Azzurri or will be tempted to go to games just because of him. Second of all, he will be by far the best player to ever play in the league, there hasn't been anyone even close to his level before in the A-League so his ability alone will draw people in. With the previous part, there also hasn't really been a massive marquee signing like this before, Harry Kewell signed for Melbourne Victory last season but he is not even close to the international icon that Del Piero is. Dwight Yorke was probably the most successful marquee signing and Dwight Yorke vs Del Piero...come on.

Kids will be inspired by Del Piero and imagine what the players that play with and against him will learn. He really has the opportunity to leave a massive mark on the game here and as some have already said he could end up being the MLS Beckham of A-League. It really should be an invaluable signing for Australian football.
I don't disagree with that, he'll have a big impact, but the A-League have to build on it and not let it just be a flash in the pan.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
I don't disagree with that, he'll have a big impact, but the A-League have to build on it and not let it just be a flash in the pan.
No, I feel this is just the beginning. We'll see in a year or so if the feeling is still the same but already there seems to be a massive optimism and increase of interest in the A-League. It can only be good for Australian football. Maybe he will even help it to be watchable one day even without marquee players such as himself :D

joannawon

Jul 16, 2012
There is no one like ADP 10........no one......when we were in trouble,when we fought in serie B,when we were accused of ridiculous charges,I never lost hope,because I know you were there for us..like you always did in the last 19 years..I love you & respect you so much...you are most perfect man in the world.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 110)