Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (245 Viewers)

Mar 10, 2009
Del Piero is my Diego, says Del Neri

Juventus Coach Gigi Del Neri has taken the loss of Diego on the chin, saying that the Brazilian won’t be missed because there is Alessandro Del Piero in Turin.

Diego was sold to Wolfsburg last week despite being told by Del Neri that he figured in his plans this season.

The Brazilian playmaker then launched a scathing attack on Juventus’ general manager Beppe Marotta yesterday for not being clear with him.

Speaking to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Del Neri said: “The club did what it could, taking into account both technical and financial aspects.

“To me, it went well because I have a young squad with alternatives in every position.

“Milan have signed champions that no one could have imagined, but only time will tell who has done well and who hasn’t.

“I remember that a year ago, everyone praised Juventus’ transfer campaign. After the first few games they seemed in a position to compete with Inter, then we know how it ended.

“The debate about Diego is wide. It also regards the financial aspect and involves the club, but we are all aligned.

“It’s up to the club to respond [to Diego’s criticism]. I will only say that Diego is a great player and I hope he finds success in Germany, but we have more presence in the penalty area with Quagliarella. And then again, our Diego is called Del Piero.”

When it was pointed out that Diego is much younger than Del Piero, Del Neri said: “What does that matter? At 35, Doni played 30 games with me at Atalanta and scored 12 goals.

“I can’t assure a starting place to anyone. Del Piero is a Juventus player and it’s important that he is happy. Then we’ll see what happens.

“We must get a place in the Champions League in whatever way possible, because the history of Juventus requires it.”

source: http://football-italia.net/sep03a.html

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I dont disagree the players apathy was visible and counterproductive in the end for sure, but the issue and main issue was and remains to be Ranieri. Its ridicolous to say it wasnt his tactics, even if their evermore pissed off efforts made things worse.

But pointing this out (btw funny to also ignore why they were like this, meaning Ranieri's awful coaching for last 3 months), veteran players plus others too (Ama, Gigi and et al all showed their displeasure) in the team growing ever more rebellious or distasted with Ranieri, is VERY VERY VERY different from blaming Ranieri's axing on Ale and basically Ale alone as it sounds like. That totally comes off revinionistic, and funnily also ignores the fact Ale with his game saving performances most of that season was the reason Ranieri's flaws were covered up that long (plus Momo INDISPENSABLE covering of the defence, no coincidence we fell apart when he was injured early spring).
Ranieri could've continuead his work as a coach if he didn't fell out with the main players like Del Piero and Camoranesi, after that it was either him or them, of course Claudio got the boot. And no, it wasn't a result of bad coaching, the problems with our star players started after 3:3 draw against Chievo, it was almost 3 months before Ranieri was sent home. You're telling me that problems with locker room started after 3 months of bad coaching, so basically Ranieri had problems with locker room only in his last 5 minutes at the club? Bullshit.

Ranieri was the one that set on system relying on individual brilliance and set pieces in attack and hard work by DM's in defense, it wasn't like Sissoko or Del Piero were saving his ass and hiding some mystical "flaws", they were doing what they were supposed to do in that game-plan. And as future showed us it was the right game-plan for us not "horrible tactics". I'm sure most of us here would be pleased with 2nd or 3rd place this season, even though we've improved (?) our team since then.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Do any of you actually know Del Piero in person? I highly doubt it. Hence, whereas he may be a club legend and an iconic figure for us Juventini, at the end of the day he is not a god, but a mere human. Don't judge what you don't know. Some of the conspiracy theorists in this thread are exaggerating and taking it overboard, but the ones defending Del Piero blindly are also guilty of the same sin. How the man behaves in front of the camera and handles the media is one thing; who he is or what he does in his private life is another matter entirely. He is a true professional, and being able to handle the media and go in front of the camera are part of his job description.
It's not true though. I don't remember anyone here judging him as a person or pretending to know anything about his private life. I don't know why you even mention that. I defend him or anyone who is accused of something without any substance whatsoever. People are assuming things, drawing conclusions without even being able to have a proof for it. If you were fair, you wouldn't have called this a blind defending.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Do any of you actually know Del Piero in person? I highly doubt it. Hence, whereas he may be a club legend and an iconic figure for us Juventini, at the end of the day he is not a god, but a mere human. Don't judge what you don't know. Some of the conspiracy theorists in this thread are exaggerating and taking it overboard, but the ones defending Del Piero blindly are also guilty of the same sin. How the man behaves in front of the camera and handles the media is one thing; who he is or what he does in his private life is another matter entirely. He is a true professional, and being able to handle the media and go in front of the camera are part of his job description.
well said. I would give you rep if the whole rep thing wasn't so silly
No, it isn't well said. Because the things he says actually help us, not him. It's innocent till proven guilty remember. The ones defending Del Piero don't have to know him personally. The ones attacking him do. That's how it works.

Furthermore you'd expect juventini at least to give Ale that much.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
I'm getting used to not expect anything from Juventini anymore after all those chants in the stadium, booing our own players, calling Del Piero a bastard [the guys seems to know a thing or two about Alex' personal life] and making fun of Marotta's eyes :D

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
While i agree there is a lot of blind defending of DP over here, and while i agree too that people make him out to be an angel over here. Bianconero's post doesn't really apply here, if anyone is blind its the ones making claims they can't really back up.

Its all speculation at the end of the day. The ones defending DP are just saying that there isn't enough evidence to back the claims the opposing side of the argument is making, and IMHO that is true.

Gustav

Jul 20, 2008
this part is for both you and hoori, i have neither the energy, time nor toleance to pain to rewatch the last games we had with ranieri and show you slide by slide how DP, if you cant take my word for it watch it yourself, you d be blind not to see how unpofessional he was.
I agree. As a result of that Ranieri benched Del Piero for two games (vs Milan at San Siro and Atalanta at home), and then was sacked.

It's clear that senior players (Del Piero, Buffon, Trezeguet, Camo )were against Ranieri and wanted to get rid of him by any means necessary. Trez publicly criticizing Ranieri, Camo's antics, Buffon coming on the pitch 10 minutes before the start of second half (the Chievo game), walking up and down and mumbling to himself (what kind of a player does something like that!).

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
I agree. As a result of that Ranieri benched Del Piero for two games (vs Milan at San Siro and Atalanta at home), and then was sacked.

It's clear that senior players (Del Piero, Buffon, Trezeguet, Camo )were against Ranieri and wanted to get rid of him by any means necessary. Trez publicly criticizing Ranieri, Camo's antics, Buffon coming on the pitch 10 minutes before the start of second half (the Chievo game), walking up and down and mumbling to himself (what kind of a player does something like that!).
You forgot Del Piero. What did he do? I asked it last night too. It's an honest question because I might have forgotten.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009

That much is true. We'll probably never know what exactly happened, but Ranieri's time was up at that point.

Gustav

Jul 20, 2008
You forgot Del Piero. What did he do? I asked it last night too. It's an honest question because I might have forgotten.
You'd have to ask Ranieri or people inside the club to give a clear answer, I doubt they're willing to reveal it tho. All I know is that these were Del Piero's 3 last games under Ranieri: subbed at halftime vs Lecce and benched for aforementioned games and then Ranieri gets the sack. Logically there had to be a reason for that, don't you think so? You don't just bench your captain out of the blue like that. And it's not like Del Piero was injured, he scored a lot before those games and he scored twice in the first game after Ranieri.

You are all big fans of Del Piero, why don't you tell me why Del Piero was benched for those games?

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Bianconero81 is accusing others of being conspiracy theorists :lol2:

And for a while I thought I have heard all the jewels from this guy.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I know I've asked this before, but I have forgotten. What do you do when you live up North and it simply doesn't get dark?
Hehehe besides being doomed, you consult religious experts and or go by the time to the nearest muslim country (oughta be Turkey), atleast based on past discussion, heard that option.

The closer it gets to summer more and more, the more ridicolous the hours get, next year, it will be 22.00 or such me thinks. Allways been talk about the above options, particularly the part of nearest muslim country etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 241)