Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (66 Viewers)

Mafia

Pinturicchio
Jul 21, 2006
I'm pretty sure Buffon will still be the captain.

Christian Ronaldo received the armband after Gomez today, and neither of them have the most appearances on the pitch for Portugal.
Nah but Italy has always used the appearance based captaincy system, not portugal. I understand Buffon may as well keep it or w/e cuz he will play every match bar a freak injury, but Del Piero should get it given Italy's usual system, but tradition sometimes may be disregarded, but i would be slightly surprised if he did not get it.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ghost

Jun 10, 2008
Nah but Italy has always used the appearance based captaincy system, not portugal. I understand Buffon may as well keep it or w/e cuz he will play every match bar a freak injury, but Del Piero should get it given Italy's usual system, but tradition sometimes may be disregarded, but i would be slightly surprised if he did not get it.
Thats true. Gigi has 83 apps, Il Capitano has 87.

I'd actually be shocked if Il Capitano didn't have the armband Friday.

francesco

Till death do us part!
Jul 25, 2006
Del Piero Named Italy Captain

Alessandro Del Piero is set to be granted the honour of leading out his country in Italy's do-or-die game against Romania.

The Azzurri go into the match in Zurich knowing that they simply have to win, or else they face elimination from Euro 2008.

This follows the humiliating 3-0 defeat to Holland on Monday night that has left Roberto Donadoni's men rock bottom of Group C. Captain for that game was goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon, who was handed the armband after Fabio Cannavaro pulled out of the tournament due to injury.

The usual procedure in Italy is that the most capped member of the squad, which in this case is Alessandro Del Piero, is named as captain. However as the Golden Boy only was named as a substitute against the Dutch, the next highest appearance maker, Buffon, was granted the honour.

Del Piero is now set to be restored to the starting line-up against Romania, following an impressive substitute appearance on Monday, and according to reports in Italy, Donadoni will hand him the captaincy too. The 33-year-old will be playing his 88th game for the Azzurri.

goal.com

Trezegol17

Nov 1, 2006
Del piero was the only highlight from italy's side against Holland, hope he will make Chivu like a fool tomorrow and score a Brace, It was also nice to see the applause from the dutch side when he entered the field!

Dragula

Jul 17, 2006
Roberto Donadoni will make changes to the side which was caught out against Holland when the Azzurri face Romania on Friday. That is as obvious as it is necessary. But just what the Coach decides to do will give us the biggest indication yet of what kind of tactician he truly is. It’s a tie which may not only decide Italy’s Euro 2008 fate, but make or break his own career.

Donadoni today finds himself in a tactical conundrum. While he’ll have no real difficulty in changing personnel for the Zurich date, one can comprehend why he would be more reluctant to abandon his preferred 4-3-3 system – one which was in part introduced to differentiate his Italian team from Marcello Lippi’s creation. Don’t worry Roberto, nobody is confusing the two now.

When Italy take to the field against Adrian Mutu and Co, we’ll see whether the 45-year-old is a prisoner of his own tactics or is big enough to concede that he may have gone too far down the Luca Toni lone striker path. If he truly believes that Italy didn’t play that badly against the Dutch, then he should – in theory at least – have the conviction in his footballing philosophy to persist with his own ideas. Scary thought, isn’t it?

The reality is that he will, in all likelihood, turn to Alex Del Piero. A rejuvenated footballer and Serie A top scorer, he was the Azzurri’s biggest threat when he came on as a substitute against the Netherlands. His inclusion would seem like a logical step, but only if Donadoni puts him in a position to perform at his best. If he sticks Alessandro on that left flank again then he’s clearly learnt nothing. Whatever team he lines up, it’s not going to be easy against Romania and it will be even tougher against France. You just have to look at the Azzurri’s results under Donadoni to understand that. Apologies in advance to any Scottish readers, but – apart from a February friendly win over Portugal – Italy haven’t beaten a side of any significance since the ex-Livorno man took the reins in 2006. It doesn’t bode well.

Qualification for the last eight has certainly been compromised by Italy’s false start, but Donadoni is still in a position to make amends. How he goes about it and what outcome follows will go a long way to deciding whether he deserves the position he was, perhaps fortunately, handed during the Calciopoli confusion.

Dragula

Jul 17, 2006
Reports: Don turns to Alex Thursday 12 June, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alessandro Del Piero will be selected to face Romania and will take the captain’s armband from Gigi Buffon, according to Italian sources.

After Italy’s devastating defeat in their Euro 2008 opening game against Holland, the pressure is on to secure the three points against Romania on Friday.

Under-fire Coach Roberto Donadoni is expected to make sweeping changes to his starting 11 for the Azzurri’s Zurich D-day and many believe he will put his faith in Del Piero.

Alex enjoyed a phenomenal season for Juventus and finished as Serie A Capocannoniere, but he was only used as a substitute on Monday evening.

Now Don could hand Del Piero his 88th cap, possibly playing alongside Luca Toni.

Should Pinturricchio play, he would be expected to take the role of leader, replacing custodian Buffon.

Buffon was demoralised by the Dutch defeat, which he described as: “the worst Italy performance in 12 years,” – a statement that allegedly upset his Coach – and may not be the man to lead the Azzurri back from the brink.

Sources also suggest that Donadoni will opt for Roma pair Simone Perrotta and Daniele De Rossi in midfield instead of Milan’s Gennaro Gattuso and Massimo Ambrosini.

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
It would be an amazing thing if after Del Piero is put as a starter with the captain band round his arm to win the Euro.. Not that it is impossible for Our great Ale to achieve such a thing, its interferences from Donadoni that could limit Alex's brilliance.

For Italy to have any chance of competing Donadoni should get down on his knees and say "forgive me Del Piero for I have sinned. I give you complete control over the Azzuri" , Then Del Piero will answer "You will be forgiven, but you'll have to fix your mistakes. Call Ciro and let him know that I need a favour from him, he's been with the greatest and he knows how things should work. Then send Materazzi, Ambdrosini and Panuci to a gay club during the match so we don't need to even think about them. Feel free to go with them".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 57)