Iago Falqué (98 Viewers)

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
Sep 3, 2010
Very good article

Iago Falqué: A Case Study of Serie A’s Failure with Youth

It is a bit odd that we get excited when we sign a young player, because it’s often so very difficult to see whether they will ever end up in the first team at all. Take Raffaele Palladino, for example. An absolute gun in the Primavera, scoring 41 goals in 61 Primavera league games, everyone very much assumed that Palladino would be a future star at Juventus- while the Del Piero assumptions were off (and will be off for any player) it looked like a player of his talent would naturally integrate into the first team and at least be a consistent player. Instead, for a variety of reasons, he’s turned into a bit of a Serie A journeyman.

A signing for the future? Yes. Managed for the future? No.
So when we signed Iago Falqué back in the summer of 2008, it was hailed as a coup. A great signing for the future. One of the great talents in Barcelona’s La Masia, Blanc and Secco temporarily looked like excellent managers and excellent youth scouts, pulling off a great youth signing. And while it was a great signing- Iago is a very talented attacking player, the 3 years that followed would serve as further evidence that Serie A’s approach with young players is broken.
When we first signed Iago, he was on the verge at 18 years old of breaking into Barcelona’s B team. For those who don’t know, teams in La Liga have their “Primavera” team playing in lower divisions- it could be in their Serie B, like Barcelona or Villarreal’s teams, or it could be lower in Serie C1 or Serie C2. Consider the fact that in Italy, one plays in the Primavera league until at least 19 years old, and then around 19-20 begins their first experience in Serie B or Serie C, often playing little in their first experience. With a year or two to progress to Serie A, they’re often 22-23 years old before stepping foot in Serie A- and it’s clear at that point they often are ready for a team like Cagliari (or Parma) but not yet Juventus.

This next paragraph deals with a lot of assumptions- that Iago would have continued his development, that Barcelona had need for him, etc, but I think it’s worthwhile to look at. I’d take someone like Thiago Alcantara, but we’ll go perhaps a bit more conservatively- Jonathan Dos Santos. He has been in Barcelona’s youth team about as long as Iago had been (since early 2000s) and he’s only 4 months younger. Jonathan actually entered Barcelona’s B team later than Iago, but by age 21, has played 50 professional matches for their reserve squad, playing in the 2nd division. He has even made a handful of appearances for the Barcelona senior team, and while he doesn’t seem to necessarily have a big future at the Camp Nou, 50 professional matches in the 2nd division and a few senior appearances in the first by age 21 is a solid development.
Iago came to Juventus at age 18, right when he would have been integrated into Barcelona’s 2nd division squad who had previously been managed by Pep Guardiola. Instead of spending that year in the 2nd division, he spent it excelling in Juve’s Primavera, notching up assists in the campionato as well as in the annual Viareggio tournament where he was outstanding. In 2009-2010, when Jonathan Dos Santos was establishing himself as a starter in the 2nd division, Iago was sent out on loan to Bari. On paper, it wasn’t necessarily a bad decision for the young trequartista, Bari had often acted as a “farm team” for our youth, and their coach Ventura did well with young players.

Iago celebrating the Viareggio win, bottom row to the right of NoPantsMan
In reality, it was an idiotic decision. Beyond idiotic. Bari played an orthodox 4-4-2 system, with pace on the wings preferred to actual talent. (See Edgar Alvarez) While Iago can play as a winger, it’s more of a 4-2-3-1 style winger than a genuine wide, pacey 4-4-2 winger. While Iago could presumably play as a second striker, Bari didn’t use one either, preferring two prime punte up top in Barreto and the-other-guy-who-was-so-awful-I-won’t-mention-his-name. After being named in the matchday squad the first few games, Bari placed him playing in their Primavera team. When I saw this, my draw dropped. We did not loan this talented kid out to play in another team’s Primavera. A weak Primavera, at that.
Secco and Blanc must have been surprised as well, and so they cut his loan short in the January mercato- if the kid was going to play Primavera, he was at least going to do it in Bianconero colors. He returned to his prior Primavera form, excelling in the Campionato Primavera and lighting up Viareggio as we stomped our way to another win- Iago notched up plenty of assists as Immobile bombed his way to 10 goals, as well as scoring himself in the Viareggio final.

When Giuseppe Marotta and Andrea Agnelli arrived, one of the smaller details they had to iron out was Iago’s future. They decided to loan him to Villarreal B, a good choice and one that has suited Villarreal and Iago very much so. Unfortunately, they put a relatively cheap buy-out clause on the young player, an acknowledgement that he didn’t suit into their future plans. A buy-out clause that Villarreal will certainly exercise, given his excellent season. The young Galician scored 11 goals in 36 matches in the 2nd division, playing in a support role primarily as a trequartista, and was called up to the senior team for the last few matches of the season, perhaps a hint as to which side he’ll be playing in next year.
It’s this crucial stage of a young player’s careers that unfortunately Serie A clubs get so wrong, the 18-21 age. While his Barcelona cohorts were playing 2nd division football at ages 18 and 19, Iago was playing in the Campionato Primavera, which is simply not good enough to prepare a young player for a senior side. An ill-judged loan spell further set him back, and while loaned out to play Serie A football, he returned that January to playing in the Primavera again. Jonathan Dos Santos already has played 50 games in the 2nd division at age 21, whereas this season was Iago’s first professional experience.

More than neglecting the 20-22 year olds we have in the team, we need to better prepare them for Serie A. That means professional experience, and it’s best for them to have a season in Serie B to prepare, Luca Marrone is coming off a very good season with Siena, although it would have been better if it happened earlier. I’d love if Serie A implemented La Liga’s model, where the Primavera in fact competed in the reserve leagues, whether it be Serie C2 or Serie B, but it seems unlikely. There was talk of the Italy U-21 team competing in Serie B, but I’m not sure how that’d work out with the parent clubs. Would they be on loan? If they didn’t play in the team and we sent them to another Serie B team, would they be off the U-21 team?
There has been one improvement, and that was the clubs voted to reduce the age of the Primavera to 19. It’s only one year, but it’s shift in the right direction- it’s a recognition that the current system is broken, and it forces the clubs to act earlier in the kids development. It’s a good move, although more work is needed. Unfortunately, for players like Iago, it won’t help them at all.

http://juventus.theoffside.com/team...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Yes, we know that Italy needs B teams, but they don't exist. So you run the risks associated with loans.

As for the scoring figures with Palladino, every Primavera team we have has at least one striker with those figures, it's normal at that level.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
Very good article

Iago Falqué: A Case Study of Serie A’s Failure with Youth

It is a bit odd that we get excited when we sign a young player, because it’s often so very difficult to see whether they will ever end up in the first team at all. Take Raffaele Palladino, for example. An absolute gun in the Primavera, scoring 41 goals in 61 Primavera league games, everyone very much assumed that Palladino would be a future star at Juventus- while the Del Piero assumptions were off (and will be off for any player) it looked like a player of his talent would naturally integrate into the first team and at least be a consistent player. Instead, for a variety of reasons, he’s turned into a bit of a Serie A journeyman.

A signing for the future? Yes. Managed for the future? No.
So when we signed Iago Falqué back in the summer of 2008, it was hailed as a coup. A great signing for the future. One of the great talents in Barcelona’s La Masia, Blanc and Secco temporarily looked like excellent managers and excellent youth scouts, pulling off a great youth signing. And while it was a great signing- Iago is a very talented attacking player, the 3 years that followed would serve as further evidence that Serie A’s approach with young players is broken.
When we first signed Iago, he was on the verge at 18 years old of breaking into Barcelona’s B team. For those who don’t know, teams in La Liga have their “Primavera” team playing in lower divisions- it could be in their Serie B, like Barcelona or Villarreal’s teams, or it could be lower in Serie C1 or Serie C2. Consider the fact that in Italy, one plays in the Primavera league until at least 19 years old, and then around 19-20 begins their first experience in Serie B or Serie C, often playing little in their first experience. With a year or two to progress to Serie A, they’re often 22-23 years old before stepping foot in Serie A- and it’s clear at that point they often are ready for a team like Cagliari (or Parma) but not yet Juventus.

This next paragraph deals with a lot of assumptions- that Iago would have continued his development, that Barcelona had need for him, etc, but I think it’s worthwhile to look at. I’d take someone like Thiago Alcantara, but we’ll go perhaps a bit more conservatively- Jonathan Dos Santos. He has been in Barcelona’s youth team about as long as Iago had been (since early 2000s) and he’s only 4 months younger. Jonathan actually entered Barcelona’s B team later than Iago, but by age 21, has played 50 professional matches for their reserve squad, playing in the 2nd division. He has even made a handful of appearances for the Barcelona senior team, and while he doesn’t seem to necessarily have a big future at the Camp Nou, 50 professional matches in the 2nd division and a few senior appearances in the first by age 21 is a solid development.
Iago came to Juventus at age 18, right when he would have been integrated into Barcelona’s 2nd division squad who had previously been managed by Pep Guardiola. Instead of spending that year in the 2nd division, he spent it excelling in Juve’s Primavera, notching up assists in the campionato as well as in the annual Viareggio tournament where he was outstanding. In 2009-2010, when Jonathan Dos Santos was establishing himself as a starter in the 2nd division, Iago was sent out on loan to Bari. On paper, it wasn’t necessarily a bad decision for the young trequartista, Bari had often acted as a “farm team” for our youth, and their coach Ventura did well with young players.

Iago celebrating the Viareggio win, bottom row to the right of NoPantsMan
In reality, it was an idiotic decision. Beyond idiotic. Bari played an orthodox 4-4-2 system, with pace on the wings preferred to actual talent. (See Edgar Alvarez) While Iago can play as a winger, it’s more of a 4-2-3-1 style winger than a genuine wide, pacey 4-4-2 winger. While Iago could presumably play as a second striker, Bari didn’t use one either, preferring two prime punte up top in Barreto and the-other-guy-who-was-so-awful-I-won’t-mention-his-name. After being named in the matchday squad the first few games, Bari placed him playing in their Primavera team. When I saw this, my draw dropped. We did not loan this talented kid out to play in another team’s Primavera. A weak Primavera, at that.
Secco and Blanc must have been surprised as well, and so they cut his loan short in the January mercato- if the kid was going to play Primavera, he was at least going to do it in Bianconero colors. He returned to his prior Primavera form, excelling in the Campionato Primavera and lighting up Viareggio as we stomped our way to another win- Iago notched up plenty of assists as Immobile bombed his way to 10 goals, as well as scoring himself in the Viareggio final.

When Giuseppe Marotta and Andrea Agnelli arrived, one of the smaller details they had to iron out was Iago’s future. They decided to loan him to Villarreal B, a good choice and one that has suited Villarreal and Iago very much so. Unfortunately, they put a relatively cheap buy-out clause on the young player, an acknowledgement that he didn’t suit into their future plans. A buy-out clause that Villarreal will certainly exercise, given his excellent season. The young Galician scored 11 goals in 36 matches in the 2nd division, playing in a support role primarily as a trequartista, and was called up to the senior team for the last few matches of the season, perhaps a hint as to which side he’ll be playing in next year.
It’s this crucial stage of a young player’s careers that unfortunately Serie A clubs get so wrong, the 18-21 age. While his Barcelona cohorts were playing 2nd division football at ages 18 and 19, Iago was playing in the Campionato Primavera, which is simply not good enough to prepare a young player for a senior side. An ill-judged loan spell further set him back, and while loaned out to play Serie A football, he returned that January to playing in the Primavera again. Jonathan Dos Santos already has played 50 games in the 2nd division at age 21, whereas this season was Iago’s first professional experience.

More than neglecting the 20-22 year olds we have in the team, we need to better prepare them for Serie A. That means professional experience, and it’s best for them to have a season in Serie B to prepare, Luca Marrone is coming off a very good season with Siena, although it would have been better if it happened earlier. I’d love if Serie A implemented La Liga’s model, where the Primavera in fact competed in the reserve leagues, whether it be Serie C2 or Serie B, but it seems unlikely. There was talk of the Italy U-21 team competing in Serie B, but I’m not sure how that’d work out with the parent clubs. Would they be on loan? If they didn’t play in the team and we sent them to another Serie B team, would they be off the U-21 team?
There has been one improvement, and that was the clubs voted to reduce the age of the Primavera to 19. It’s only one year, but it’s shift in the right direction- it’s a recognition that the current system is broken, and it forces the clubs to act earlier in the kids development. It’s a good move, although more work is needed. Unfortunately, for players like Iago, it won’t help them at all.

http://juventus.theoffside.com/team...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Interesting, well researched post...And you most definitely HAVE hit upon a raw nerve in italian football, not just with Juve, but league wide. However...I am yet to see what we have truly missed out upon, in terms of your example of Iago. For what has he gone on to achieve, as of now? Is he been courted by decent teams eager to thrust him into their first team squad? I stick to the old adage 'if you are good enough, you are old enough'...you mention Immobile, and yet how did he fare this season? You mention MArrone, who played a solid, but far from season long part, of a promotion winning team in Serie B.

Our ONLY youngster who seems to have excelled whilst out on loan this last season is...Pasquato.And I highly doubt we will sell him outright; likely send him out on co-ownership or another loan. As a left wing forward, where would he fit in to our present squad??? With DP, Martinez, Quag, also potentially Bastos...and even Pepe...to contend with????

YES, i understand and agree with the problem, of assuming that youngsters can simply never be ready for the first team squad until 22+...but this season, where we have seen the steady inclusion and blossoming of Sorenson, the sporadic appearances of Giondanato and Boniperti...it seems less a heavy issue than some could suggest.

I am massively in favour of giving youth a chance, but if they cannot truly excel whilst on loan at other clubs, fighting for, and playing if worthy, competitive league action...then what else can we do with them?

Paratici seems to know what he is doing...sorenson, magnusson, that giant romanian keeper, branescu???, camillieri, ilari...the appelt brothers. So...I see us in good hands, presently, when it comes to procuring promising youngsters and suggesting them for the first team squad...and as for our primavera team, how have they fared in their league??? and how did they fare in the viareggio tournament??? Lets raid Varese!!!

either way...a wicked post. Once that inspires much mental turmoil...keep up the good work, and as always, forza Juve.

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
Had high hopes for this kid, clearly Barca had the foresight to see that he wasn't going to cut it at the top, explaining why we were able to sign him so easily.

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
Barca are good at judging potential ( I think that's fair to say), so if Iago was going to be a top player then they would have kept hold of him.

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
Barca have young talent coming out their ears. Iago has performed very well for Villareals B team.
so what's the deal then, do we still own him or what?

btw, what part of Melbourne are you from? Lived in St Kilda for 8 months between 2009-10, love that city!

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
so what's the deal then, do we still own him or what?

btw, what part of Melbourne are you from? Lived in St Kilda for 8 months between 2009-10, love that city!
I have no idea what the situation is.

St Kilda is an awesome spot I'd love to live there always so much going on. Were you around for St Kilda festival? Probably the greatest free festival this country has to offer always have an awesome time. I live in Camberwell in the eastern suburbs around 15 minutes out from the city.

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
I have no idea what the situation is.

St Kilda is an awesome spot I'd love to live there always so much going on. Were you around for St Kilda festival? Probably the greatest free festival this country has to offer always have an awesome time. I live in Camberwell in the eastern suburbs around 15 minutes out from the city.
No I must have missed that festival :( was very often too wasted on goon to make it to most things going on :D got to the Melbourne cup though which was cool. Pretty sure I used to pass through Camberwell on my way to work.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
No I must have missed that festival :( was very often too wasted on goon to make it to most things going on :D got to the Melbourne cup though which was cool. Pretty sure I used to pass through Camberwell on my way to work.
:lol: Goon! + rep.. A staple of any Australian diet. Such a versatile, delicious and cheap drink. Yeah you'd know Camberwell if you saw it. There a junction of three main roads with lots of cafe's and shops around. Where did you work? How did you manage to earn the money for all that precious goon?

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
:lol: Goon! + rep.. A staple of any Australian diet. Such a versatile, delicious and cheap drink. Yeah you'd know Camberwell if you saw it. There a junction of three main roads with lots of cafe's and shops around. Where did you work? How did you manage to earn the money for all that precious goon?
:lol: cheers mate, worked for a crowd called Clear Solar as a telemarketer :shifty: no doubt I probably called your home to wreck your head about the benefits of solar power :D:

Actually lived in a hostel the whole time I was there and the money I was on was really good, so there was plenty of cash for goon and Chicken Parma ;)

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
:lol: cheers mate, worked for a crowd called Clear Solar as a telemarketer :shifty: no doubt I probably called your home to wreck your head about the benefits of solar power :D:

Actually lived in a hostel the whole time I was there and the money I was on was really good, so there was plenty of cash for goon and Chicken Parma ;)
Sounds like a good way to live. Yeah I've got lots of mates who work telemarketing lots of money to make if you're not Indian.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 98)