i was just wondering...... (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Desmond ] ++
sorry but i have to disagree.at his best barthez is absolutely brilliant,utterly unbelievable.

he makes the most difficult saves and has one of the most breath-taking long throws i've ever seen,with an attitude to match.

he's made more world class saves (and blunders) than howard ever will at man utd imo.
You're off your rocker, mate. Barthez is a clown who's more concerned with how good he looks then with the job he does. He's never been reliable, but always sensational. That's not a goalkeeper's job, and he's a disgrace to the position.

OP
incomplex

incomplex

Mar 2, 2004
  • Thread Starter #83
    ++ [ originally posted by Ian ] ++

You're off your rocker, mate. Barthez is a clown who's more concerned with how good he looks then with the job he does. He's never been reliable, but always sensational . That's not a goalkeeper's job, and he's a disgrace to the position.
    This remind me to one name...
    GK from Columbia.....what his name
    sensational....YES....reliable...not really

OP
    incomplex

incomplex

Mar 2, 2004
  • Thread Starter #85
    except he can score FK sometimes
    and rather catch the ball using his feet rather than a hand!!!
    stupid!!

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Actually, the GK who can score freekicks is Paraguay's Jose Luis Chilavert. The Colombian keeper who pulled off the scorpion kick save was Colombia GK Rene Higuita

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Ian ] ++

You're off your rocker, mate. Barthez is a clown who's more concerned with how good he looks then with the job he does. He's never been reliable, but always sensational. That's not a goalkeeper's job, and he's a disgrace to the position.
    where did you get that from??:dazed:

barthez has always made fabulous saves,even when error prone.he is definitely not more concerned about how he looks than how well he does the job;i think that would be buffon.

he possesses great agility and catlike reflexes,and never shys away from making a tackly outside the box or diving at a player's feet for the ball.he's managed to hold a place in man utd for three seasons,even when he has been erratic at times,and his blunders have cost them alot in europe.but nevertheless ferguson has stuck with the man and he's saved their asses more times than i can remember.

taibi and bosnich both also experienced spells of butterfingers before,but they were discarded within a far shorter time.

and he's not a disgrace,he's been a keeper worthy of wearing the jersey of les bleus and is nothing short of an idol in france where he is revered as one of the greatest keepers of our time.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    error prone.
    Damn straight

he is definitely not more concerned about how he looks than how well he does the job;i think that would be buffon.
    What are you talking about? Since when did Buffon ever try to make himself look good rather than getting the job done!?

never shys away from making a tackly outside the box or diving at a player's feet for the ball.
    That's really not a strength for a goalkeeper, especially when he's gonna get caught out like Barthez does, especially when combined with Wes Brown. Those two were a travelling circus i tell ya.

++ [ originally posted by Desmond ] ++he's managed to hold a place in man utd for three seasons
    Then again, we're talking about a club that preferred Mark Bosnich and Massimo Taibi to Raimond van der Gouw, who IMO was the better keeper. They also signed Laurent Blanc, who was slow and terrible by the time they signed him.

he has been erratic at times, and his blunders have cost them alot in europe.
    You bet your ass they have

nevertheless ferguson has stuck with the man and he's saved their asses more times than i can remember.
    He's actually made more huge errors that i can remember more than the brilliant saves he made.

and he's not a disgrace,he's been a keeper worthy of wearing the jersey of les bleus and is nothing short of an idol in france where he is revered as one of the greatest keepers of our time.
    He was awesome before and at France 98, but after he went to Man Utd, all I can remember saying is "Maybe he should've retired"

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++

What are you talking about? Since when did Buffon ever try to make himself look good rather than getting the job done!?
    when stretching for the ball he always tends to do it halfheartedly and when on the ground have you seen it when he actually dives and his arms land on the elbows instead of flat out for the ball so that his face doesn't end up in the grass...

when he's at the recieving end of a seemingly impossible shot all he does is stand and glare at his opponents or the defenders instead of diving for it anyway in the hope that it might result in a great save which before was seemingly impossible.he just gives up so he doesn't have to get yet another speck of mud on his jersey.

Then again, we're talking about a club that preferred Mark Bosnich and Massimo Taibi to Raimond van der Gouw, who IMO was the better keeper. They also signed Laurent Blanc, who was slow and terrible by the time they signed him.
    well bosnich and taibi were both more hyped about and even then they were dropped before long while van der gouw stayed for longer than the both of them combined.

blanc was almost a revelation in his first season even after drifting into oblivion at inter for so long...he was only marked as a culprit for man utd's defensive woes a season later,but then all the defenders were playing like schoolboys so he can't really be blamed.
    He's actually made more huge errors that i can remember more than the brilliant saves he made.
    so many times have i seen him fly across goal to block yet another screamer.....but as with the media so many people have chosen to focus on his howlers...

i assure you there were less than 6-8 times when he made a crazy blunder,and more times when he made unbelievable saves,yet people make it seem like he never did one thing right in that entire season.

i even get people telling me about blunders and even own goals that barthez never made.
    He was awesome before and at France 98, but after he went to Man Utd, all I can remember saying is "Maybe he should've retired"
    see above

Jul 12, 2002
    where did you get that from??:dazed:
    From watching him play.

barthez has always made fabulous saves,even when error prone.he is definitely not more concerned about how he looks than how well he does the job;i think that would be buffon.
    Do you even know anything about goalkeeping? You can make all the acrobatic saves you want, but unless you command your box, work your angles correctly, and control your rebounds; your not a great keeper. Buffon is a bit of a pretty-boy, but he's not the clown that Barthez is.

he possesses great agility and catlike reflexes,and never shys away from making a tackly outside the box or diving at a player's feet for the ball.he's managed to hold a place in man utd for three seasons,even when he has been erratic at times,and his blunders have cost them alot in europe.but nevertheless ferguson has stuck with the man and he's saved their asses more times than i can remember.
    The only reason that Barthez kept a spot for United was because there was not a viable alternative. We all saw what happened when a real keeper was brought in.

taibi and bosnich both also experienced spells of butterfingers before,but they were discarded within a far shorter time.

Look, the bottom line is tha Barthez gained his fame from acrobatic saves and ridiculously dangerous ventures outside the box. When that kind of play backfired on him, people realized he wasn't a great keeper, but rather a showman. That's disgraceful.

OP
    incomplex

incomplex

Mar 2, 2004
  • Thread Starter #91
    ++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++
    Actually, the GK who can score freekicks is Paraguay's Jose Luis Chilavert. The Colombian keeper who pulled off the scorpion kick save was Colombia GK Rene Higuita
    dude..ur rite:D
    my mistake...they are 2 diff player

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    blanc was almost a revelation in his first season even after drifting into oblivion at inter for so long...he was only marked as a culprit for man utd's defensive woes a season later,but then all the defenders were playing like schoolboys so he can't really be blamed.
    Not true. Anyone remember which five teams Man U lost to in the Premiership in Blanc's first half season?

Bolton
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Newcastle
    Chelsea

Read those first letters downward. :D

Blanc's positioning was fantastic, his defencive technique was astounding, but he couldn't run to save his life, and it cost Man U big time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)