i was just wondering...... (1 Viewer)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Ian ] ++
Not all of them, but yeah they ahve a lot of tall players. Unfortunately, Toure doesn't head well, niether does Lauren or Cole, so Campbell is the only good aerial defender. In midfield, Viera is the only aerial player, as Parlour, Edu, Ljungberg, Pires, and Gilberto all suck in the air. Henry and Bergkamp are also less than excellent in the air, the same goes for Kanu strangely enough.
All very true - they're not the team they were in the air, but they seem to dominate there physically, in spite of their technical disabilities.

Carrol is done, IMO. He proved that hte pressure of a big team is too much for him. I'd say he could find a nice home at a smaller side, but he'll never make it at an elite club.
Not far wrong - I think he'll stay at #2 for a while yet, but I can't see him ever making it as the first choice keeper.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
roy carroll has been a decent keeper for man utd over the years imo.

he backed up barthez two seasons ago and proved that he's a really reliable player who can live up to expectations.

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Paranoia ] ++
roy carroll has been a decent keeper for man utd over the years imo.

he backed up barthez two seasons ago and proved that he's a really reliable player who can live up to expectations.
Yeah, he's been a decent keeper, but he certainly has not lived up to expectations.

Jul 28, 2002
roy carrol was bought for the sole purpose to be the backup. Who can come on and do the job at a decent level.

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by John #10 ] ++
roy carrol was bought for the sole purpose to be the backup. Who can come on and do the job at a decent level.
Really? I don't think so. Seems to me that you don't buy a promising young keeper to be the back-up.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002

Yeah, he's been a decent keeper, but he certainly has not lived up to expectations.
he hasn't?

roy carroll was bought to be backup for barthez,not to be a future star.he works hard to improve himself and is reliable whenever called upon.

that he was placed on the bench over barthez when timmy came signified how much fergie trusted him.he himself said that roy had been such a good understudy that he couldn't find a reason to leave him out of the team.

Jul 28, 2002
kinda like a modern rampulla..btw he wasnt that promicing before utd, id only heard snippoets about him and he wasnt the next big thing.

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Desmond ] ++
he hasn't?

roy carroll was bought to be backup for barthez,not to be a future star.he works hard to improve himself and is reliable whenever called upon.

that he was placed on the bench over barthez when timmy came signified how much fergie trusted him.he himself said that roy had been such a good understudy that he couldn't find a reason to leave him out of the team.
Perhaps you know something I don't about Roy Carrol, but he's always seemed to me to be a promising young keeper, even before United. I don't think that Fergie would buy such a player to sit on the bench, it really isn't his style. Lippi would do that, but not Fergie. And it would be prudent to put anyone on the bench ahead of Barthez, he sucks.

Jul 28, 2002
Fergie does buy player to bench players, forlan, solskjaer they were bought as bench players then they either moved up or down the rankings.

Imo carrol was bought to be his back up after the dutch back up left.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
I thought the same Johnny. Carroll never looked like being the eventualy #1 - just cover for Barthez. The previous season, injuries to van der Gouw (sp?) and Barthez left him stuck -he had to buy a 39 year old keeper as emergency cover.

Jul 28, 2002
haha , it was the guy from rangers wasnt it?? he used to be pretty decent.

I agree John he was jus cover, howard i feel was bought to be the future in a similar way fergie bought the unkown schmeichal.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Andy Goram - the cause of the greatest football chant ever. Shortly after being diagnosed of schitzophrenia, some Kilmarnock (I think) fans sang the following at him while he was playing for Rangers:
"Two Andy Gorams,
There's only two Andy Gorams,
Two Andy Gorams..."

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by John #10 ] ++
Fergie does buy player to bench players, forlan, solskjaer they were bought as bench players then they either moved up or down the rankings.

Imo carrol was bought to be his back up after the dutch back up left.
Forlan was bought to partner Van Nistelrooij, but that never panned out. Solskjaer was bought to be a super-sub, which is different from being a bench player. Seems to me that the ages of the players involved (Barthez=old, Carrol=young), that Carrol was at some point supposed to replace Barthez.

OP
incomplex

incomplex

Mar 2, 2004
  • Thread Starter #76
    its hard to find a good, young GK who is willing to sit on the bench and watch his team played
    sooner or later this GK will walk out of the team due to lack of 1st team opportunity
    look what happen to our carini....

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by incomplex ] ++
    its hard to find a good, young GK who is willing to sit on the bench and watch his team played
    sooner or later this GK will walk out of the team due to lack of 1st team opportunity
    look what happen to our carini....
    Carini didn't really walk out, but I get what you're saying. Just like Carrol (I think), Carini was bought to be the 'keeper of the future for Juve, but Buffon came in and changed that (just like Howard at Man U.)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Forlan was bought to partner Van Nistelrooij, but that never panned out. Solskjaer was bought to be a super-sub, which is different from being a bench player. Seems to me that the ages of the players involved (Barthez=old, Carrol=young), that Carrol was at some point supposed to replace Barthez.
    Nope, Forlan was bought to be the sub - Solskjaer was establishing himself in the first team at that stage. He only get to start because Beckham's uneven form saw Solskjaer on the right wing.

Solskjaer was bought as a sub, but you can't buy a supersub - only find one.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002

Perhaps you know something I don't about Roy Carrol, but he's always seemed to me to be a promising young keeper, even before United. I don't think that Fergie would buy such a player to sit on the bench, it really isn't his style. Lippi would do that, but not Fergie.
    yeah it would be like lippi to do something like that now wouldn't it:)

but buying a young and only moderately promising goalie and slowly building him up to be one for the future ain't what man utd usually does either.

And it would be prudent to put anyone on the bench ahead of Barthez, he sucks.
    sorry but i have to disagree.at his best barthez is absolutely brilliant,utterly unbelievable.

he makes the most difficult saves and has one of the most breath-taking long throws i've ever seen,with an attitude to match.

he's made more world class saves (and blunders) than howard ever will at man utd imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)