Hup Holland! (12 Viewers)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
How does this formation look to you, Erik?

----------------------------- Westerveld ------------------------------
------------- Stam ------------ Hofland ------------ De Boer ----------
----------------- Van Bommel ----------- Davids ------------------
-------- Van der Meyde ---------------------------- Van Persie -------
---------------------------------------------- Van der Vaart ------------
------------ Makaay -------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------- Van Nistelrooy ------------------------------

OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #66
    Terrible, considering Van der Meyde is injured ;)

Seriously, it's a good line-up but a three man defence is not going to happen. Especially not against Rosicky and Koller! We'd get slaughtered!

Sep 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++

Seriously, it's a good line-up but a three man defence is not going to happen. Especially not against Rosicky and Koller! We'd get slaughtered!
    will vdv start? i've read in knvb.nl that it would be ok for him if he didn;t play at all or smth like that

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #68
    ELEVEN FACTS ABOUT HOLLAND - CZECH REPUBLIC

With Holland’s showdown with the Czechs beckoning, KNVB.nl provides you with eleven historic facts about this clash of European soccer giants, starting with Dick Advocaat’s performances against the Czech Republic. In this edition we complete the eleven facts with a generous centurion and two Juventus rivals.

Not only Ajax-players Rafael van der Vaart and Tomás Galásek are likely to clash in the Kuip Stadium. Juventus aces Pavel Nedved and Edgar Davids also won’t be friends for ninety minutes. Two short bios:

Pavel Nedved
    When Zizou Zidane left for Real Madrid, Juventus chairman Agnelli was desperate to replace the French star player. But who in the world could replace the world’s finest player. The answer came from Lazio. It seemed unlikely he would make the fans forget the French master’s skill and overall brilliance, but ever since joining Pavel Nedved has tried his best. The technically sound Nedved, once eyed by PSV Eindhoven, gives Juve and the Czech national side depth on the left and causes every defence problems. The voters on this site agreed: he’s the Czechs’ best man.

Edgar Davids
    Juventus based Edgar Davids epitomises the modern day central midfield player, combining an unrivalled attitude with huge technical ability, which he developed on the streets of northern Amsterdam. There is a remarkable difference between the man on or off the pitch. He seems cut up for a leading role in midfield, but can make somewhat of a mysterious impression once off the pitch and in front of television camera’s. His streetwise image at times irritates people, but one thing can be made perfectly clear. Once he pulls the orange jersey over his dreadlocks, he’s more focussed than anyone. In Davids, the Czechs are facing a real handful….of dynamite.

Frank de Boer has over handed sprinter Troy Douglas a 20.000 euro cheque. To mark his hundredth appearance for Holland, he would like to gesture to the athlete by aiding him financially in his preparation for the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens. “I hope to find other football players to support more athletes in their quest to reach their sporting goals.”

The Czech Republic was founded in 1993, at the time of the Czechoslovakian split. Vaclav Havel was the first Czech president. The country borders Slovakia, Germany, Poland and Austria. Vaclas Klaus won the most recent Czech elections, and hopes to lead his country into the European Union in 2004. The small country has ten million inhabitants. Some famous Czechs: Franz Kafka (writer 1884-1923), Martina Navratilova and Ivan Lendl.

Football was first played in the former Czechoslovakia, in Bohemia. Slavia Prague is the oldest club, founded in 1892. Early successes were the demolition of Sturm Graz (14-0), Bayern München (13-0) and FC Nürnberg (12-2). Seven years before the turn of the century saw the birth of archrival Sparta Prague. Until 1949, just one team succeeded in stopping the Prague domination of Czechoslovakian soccer. In 1928 Viktoria Zizkov won a league title. From the fifties onwards Slovakian teams like Spartak Trnava and Slovan Bratislava mixed it up with the Prague giants, claiming titles on a few occasions.

On the international front, the Czechs have competed from the early years of the twentieth century. In 1920, during the Antwerp Olympics, they showed true superiority. France, Norway and Yugoslavia all got beaten convincingly on route to the Olympic final, where hosts Belgium kicked the living daylights out of their opponents. 2-0 behind, the Czechs stepped off the field and got disqualified. Spain and Holland fought it out for the silver medal. Spain prevailed.

More recently, the Czech Republic did exceptionally well during EURO 1996 in England, where eventually the Germans halted their march towards glory in the final. Nedeved, Poborsky, Berger and Nemec featured in the final, to name a few stars. Twenty years before this surprising feat, Czechoslovakia claimed the first European Championship in Spain, beating Germany in a penalty shoot out, after having claimed Holland’s scalp in the semis. In the final Panenka’s legendary chipped penalty sank the Germany.

Only three Dutch players ever put a ball behind a Czech goalie. The first Dutchman to score against the Czech Republic is Wim Jonk. On the 26th of April 1995 he opens the score in the seventh minute of a Prague qualifier. The Czechs respond by thrashing Holland 3-1.

Jaap Stam is the second player to have netted against the Czechs. In preperation for EURO 2000 the Dutch face the Czechs in Eindhoven’s Philips Stadium. Jaap Stam sees his 59th minute opener cancelled out nine minutes later by Jan Koller.

During EURO 2000 Frank de Boer scores a much discussed penalty against the Czech Republic. His brother Ronald takes a dive in the area and ref Collina offers the Dutch a penalty kick. Against the run of play he scores to send the unlucky Czechs packing.

“A win against the Czechs will mean double joy for me,” says centurion-to-be Frank de Boer. Skipper and recordholder De Boer will become the first Dutch international to gain 100 caps next Saturday if, obviously, he plays. “One hundred caps. It has a certain ring to it, doesn’t it?”

With 65 caps and 36 goals to his credit Patrick Kluivert is somewhat of a star in the national team. A position in Advocaat’s first eleven is never subject to discussion. Almost ten years ago, on the 16th of November, Kluivert made his full international debut. Remarkably under the same manager, in the same stadium and against the same opposition as Holland face Saturday in Rotterdam. Kluivert who formed a strike force together with retired Schalke ’04 ace Youri Mulder, but both failed to score. The imortant European qualifier ended 0-0.

Holland’s negative balance against the Czechs hasn’t influenced the fans’ trust in the national side. In a poll held on KNVB.nl, a huge eighty percent expect Holland to overcome next Saturday’s Czech threat.

The Dutch suffer their biggest defeat at the hands of the Czechs in 1976. During the first European Championship, Czechoslovakia send favorites Holland packing. The runners-up of the 1974 World Championships crash out 3-1. Johan Cruijff and Johan Neeskens are both shown the red card.

What remains for manager George Knobel’s side is a third place play-off. The Dutch beat Yugoslavia by the same scoreline as their encounter with the Czechoslovakians, who surprisingly conquer West Germany in the final to claim the first European title.

Whether or not they are joined by the Slovakians; the Czechs have always been tough opposition for the Dutch. There were only three wins for Holland against the former Czechoslovakian side in ten attempts. Six losses and a draw complete those statistics. After the split in 1993, Holland has managed two draws, a loss and a win against the Czech Republic.

Only once before did Advocaat ever play the Czechs. On the road to EURO 1996 in England, the Dutch crossed swords with the Czech Republic in the Rotterdam Kuip stadium on November 16th 1994. Kluivert came from the bench and Van der Sar was second choice to Chelsea’s (then Feyenoord) Ed de Goey.

The game didn’t go down in history as one of Holland’s best. It ended the way it started: 0-0. Holland did manage to qualify for the tournament, which saw the Czech Republic make it to the final. Two Bierhoff strikes cancelled out any suprise in the final and Germany were crowned European champs. By then Advocaat was with PSV and Hiddink had taken over.

Taken from www.knvb.nl

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #69
    ADVOCAAT EXPECTS RUUD AND PATRICK TO PERFORM

On paper, Holland has one of the best strike forces in the world. Their productivity for the Dutch has become quite a point of discussion, though. Coach Advocaat today revealed he expects both aces to be at their very best. “I think they’ll perform exceptionally well. Look at Van Nistelrooij. He’s in great shape for the Czechs.”

Advocaat has spoken to his two first choice strikers to get to the bottom of their mutual goal drought. Kluivert can’t provide the answers, thinks it’s just a question of time. Van Nistelrooij at times feels himself not supported enough in defence.

And the manager? He feels both players haven’t played enough together. “Every time we have just three days to get used to each other. Kluivert and van Nistelrooij simply haven’t played many games together. Automatisms haven’t had the opportunity to develop.”

Still, Advocaat will not consider changing anything up front. The Bacelona – United combination is his desired starting couple in attack. “Van Nistelrooij is the man right up front. Like a sniper. He’s shown fantastic form as of late for Manchester United. Kluivert on the other hand is not the front man, but prefers a free role just behind Ruud. Both expect to gel quite soon. I foresee everything falling into place on Saturday.”

Taken from www.knvb.nl

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #70
    VAN DER VAART NOT JUST TO MAKE UP THE NUMBERS

Rafael van der Vaart (20) saw Ajax capitulate Sunday in their quest to gain another league title. “But I’ve put that behind me,” he is quoted four days later. A new challenge lies ahead, when the Czechs visit Rotterdam. “I’m not here to make up the numbers, but won’t be too disappointed if I remain on the bench.” The young pretender seems to have found the right balance between self-confidence and modesty.

In hotel Huis ter Duin, Holland’s traditional base before match days, Van der Vaart doesn’t seem too impressed by the surroundings and hectic circumstances. He’s here for the football, nothing fancy for Rafael. “Training with the national side has improved my game immensely. I now see things even quicker than I did before,” he confidently states.

The midfielder acknowledges his strong points, but remains modest about his position among Holland’s finest. “Obviously at Ajax, when I’m fit I play. Here with the national side it’s like the early days at the club, when I was waiting for chances to come my way.”

After Louis van Gaal gave Holland’s hottest property a go against Andorra at the end of the Dutch disaster campaign for Japan and Korea, the high-scoring player picked up a nasty knee-injury. He underwent surgery twice before making a come back months later.

Then, disaster struck once more. Holland’s 3-0 demolition of Belarus is marred by Van der Vaart’s injury, after being on the receiving end of a horror tackle by a frustrated defender.

“Some journalist accused me of being too committed, overzealous. That’s rubbish. If I had come into the game and put in a mediocre effort the stories would have focussed on a bland performance. In the national side, I feel you have to set out to make an impact.”

After his full recovery, Advocaat welcomes him back in the squad. Two assists underline a great performance in Gelsenkirchen, where Germany is downed 3-1.

Another (muscular) injury not much later fuels more stories. “A lot of stuff I read about these injuries is over the top. I’ve had some misfortune. I still trust my body totally and am fully focussed.”

Not too long ago his recovery is celebrated by fans and national TV crews, who cover his comeback for Ajax’ youth side against Heerenveen. They are quite crazy scenes up north. From then on, it’s full steam ahead.

His recall has surprised him a little. “I’m fit now and full of confidence. I’m thankful Advocaat has shown his appreciation of me as a player by recalling me for the Czech Republic and Moldova. I’ll give him a hundred percent if I get in. I’m not just here to make up the number, but won’t be too disappointed if I’m left out.”

If he does gain a fourth cap, Van der Vaart may encounter an Ajax-team mate. “Yes, Tomás Galásek could become my opposite number. We’ve talked about it during practice. He’s a great player. His timing is sound and he never refuses to do the dirty work.” Asked if he can cause his teammate at Ajax some problems on the pitch, his reply is remarkably confident. “Of course I can!”

Taken from www.knvb.nl

Sep 28, 2002
    VAN DER VAART NOT JUST TO MAKE UP THE NUMBERS

Rafael van der Vaart (20) saw Ajax capitulate Sunday in their quest to gain another league title. “But I’ve put that behind me,” he is quoted four days later. A new challenge lies ahead, when the Czechs visit Rotterdam. “I’m not here to make up the numbers, but won’t be too disappointed if I remain on the bench. ” The young pretender seems to have found the right balance between self-confidence and modesty.
    that's what i said

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #75
    SUPPORTERS CAUTIOUS

The Oranjelegioen is cautious about the match against the Czechs this evening. Voetbal International went onto the streets of Rotterdam to ask the people who always know better than the coach: the fans.

What do you expect from this match?

• "It'll be a very, very tight match and I honestly don't know what the outcome will be. We have some quality in our squad but so do the Czechs, just think of Nedved, Koller, Rosicky, Poborsky and the likes!"

"Oh man, I am SO looking forward to seeing Stam and Koller battle it out!!!!"

"Well, I just put my money on a Dutch victory so they had better win!!"

"I'll be happy as long as we see goals. Goals. All I want. I'm telling you man, football's no good without the goals. So score the goals. Goals." (this guy was carrying two beers in each hand when we met him)

"Davids-Nedved, Van der Vaart-Galásek, Stam-Koller, this is gonna be VERY interesting!"

"I'm hoping for double figures!"

"The Czechs will win it I think ... geez ... why did I even buy tickets?"

"Don't bloody care, we'll get to Portugal anyway, via play-offs or not. This match is not THAT crucial, you know!"

"I didn't manage to get my hands on tickets so I hope it will be a very, very BORING match!"

Taken from www.vi.nl
    Translated by Erik

Stu

Jul 14, 2002

The lineup was more for the future than it was for this particular game, hence the inclusion of Van der Meyde, and I don't think that the three man defence would suffer so badly, not if Van Bommel and Davids perform to their protective bests.

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #80
    PROBABLE LINEUPS

Netherlands: Ronald Waterreus; Michael Reiziger, Jaap Stam, Frank de Boer, Giovanni van Bronckhorst; Clarence Seedorf, Mark van Bommel, Edgar Davids, Boudewijn Zenden; Patrick Kluivert, Ruud van Nistelrooy

Czech Republic: Petr Cech; Zdenek Grygera, Rene Bolf, Tomas Ujfalusi, Marek Jankulovski; Karel Poborsky, Tomas Rosicky, Tomas Galasek, Pavel Nedved, Vladimir Smicer; Jan Koller

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)