How many languages do you speak fluently? (1 Viewer)

How many languages do you speak fluently?

• 6+

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sep 1, 2002
thats coz hes wrong, how many people can discuss intellectual matter in a competent and clear manner regardless of how they learned the language? Fluent means you can interact socially, professionally and officially without much trouble. yes you're fluent Os :p
How very unobjective of you. Subjectivity is your strong point, is it?

How far do I have to be able to swim to call myself a swimmer?

Buy on AliExpress.com
Sep 1, 2002
Depends on your definition of being fluent. Not only is this to speak smoothly and effortlessly but in my opinion, it also is to get into serious discussions on different topics. I for one don't consider myself fluent in speaking English even though I more or less can express myself.

Many times I prefer to sit back and watch the others talking about (let's say) a philosophic or scientific topic because I'm sure I can't express myself very well unless I speak in my language.
As I feel.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Depends on your definition of being fluent. Not only is this to speak smoothly and effortlessly but in my opinion, it also is to get into serious discussions on different topics. I for one don't consider myself fluent in speaking English even though I more or less can express myself.

Many times I prefer to sit back and watch the others talking about (let's say) a philosophic or scientific topic because I'm sure I can't express myself very well unless I speak in my language.
In that i agree with you, i myself sometimes have a hard time expressing myself in English, but that doesn't mean you aren't fluent. As long as you can interact smoothly in a language, that means you're fluent.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
How very unobjective of you. Subjectivity is your strong point, is it?

How far do I have to be able to swim to call myself a swimmer?
isnt that what you re doing? Stop applying your standards to the whole, being fluent in english doesnt mean being able to read chaucer or analyze carlyle if you can live in an english speaking country with communication not eing a burden that is being fluent, unless you see yourself as more of a an authority than dictionnaries and various other definition sources

Sep 1, 2002
isnt that what you re doing? Stop applying your standards to the whole, being fluent in english doesnt mean being able to read chaucer or analyze carlyle if you can live in an english speaking country with communication not eing a burden that is being fluent, unless you see yourself as more of a an authority than dictionnaries and various other definition sources
Yes.

Yes.

Sep 1, 2002
the same i'd appreciate the absurdity of everything?
The French existentialist Jean-Paul Sartre was sitting in a cafe when a waitress approached him: "Can I get you something to drink, Monsieur Sartre?"
Sartre replied, "Yes, I'd like a cup of coffee with sugar, but no cream".
Nodding agreement, the waitress walked off to fill the order and Sartre returned to working. A few minutes later, however, the waitress returned and said, "I'm sorry, Monsieur Sartre, we are all out of cream -- how about with no milk?"

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
In that i agree with you, i myself sometimes have a hard time expressing myself in English, but that doesn't mean you aren't fluent. As long as you can interact smoothly in a language, that means you're fluent.
I would add "as long as other people are able to interact smoothly with you in that language", thus disqualifying all the delusional people.

Jul 9, 2008

Nice to know that ..

Arabic grammar is also difficult .. Many Arabs don't even know some basic grammar because they always use their own dialect .. Real Arabic which is called ( Fos'ha ) is rarely USED ..

Arabic poem is also difficult to understand, especialy old poem .. Many vocabulary become extincted .. :crazy:

But I heard that the Catalan language is probably the most difficult language to learn and speak .. :shocked:

anyway IMO I think European people are more capable to learn a new language and speak in it than other races ..

Italian and German sounds cool .. I wish I had time to learn Italian at least .. :wub:

The best thing about speaking Irish is that less than 0.5% of the population actualy use it daily and it's compulsory in education
Yeah, I have an irish friend who rarely speaks Irish and only with his mother .. it's completely different from English although the two cultures are close geographically .. :jvefan:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)