• Van Nistelrooy - Makaay

• Makaay - Kluivert

• Makaay - Van der Vaart

• Other (please name which one)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Advocaat has trouble selecting the strikers for the Scotland match and he has never been able to get out the full potential of Holland's world class forwards. Now, who would YOU select for the match at Hampden Park?

NB: It's only possible to selected a striking duo as Advocaat is a 4-4-2 man and never starts with three strikers.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Kluivert - Van der Vaart. Kluivert and Holland works, he's doing fine I think, while it would make sense to support him with a guy like Van der Vaart, who has already made a difference.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
True. Kluivert is great for Holland, and i'd love to see VDV alongside him, but on paper, RVN and Makaay is very hard to resist

Sep 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
Well you said it.. paper. If only paper == reality :)

but were they actually played together?

somehow this is like saying that inzaghi scored loads of goals for azzuri recently, he should be their main striker. players of form should be picked up.

though i would go for rvn and makaay AND van der vaart behind them

Jul 12, 2002
I don't think that there is anyway RVN and Makaay could play together. They both require too much service and would not give it to each other. Holland needs someone who can replace Bergkamp, some one to creat goals and to score. That person is most definitely Rafael Van der Vaart. He made to play that position and Holland needs him, so he must be played. As for the other striking position, I think that Holland coaches have often made the mistake of using Kluivert as a striker. The man is way too inclined to pass to be a striker, and he isn't that good of a finisher. Also, I don't see how he can continue to play well for the NT when he is in terrible form for Barca (With the recent exception of a lucky goal.) I'd say that he has to be left on the bench. As for RVN, I don't think that he's good at all in the the holland squad. There's somethign about him, that just doesn't fit right. It's a shame, but considering the importance of this match, he's a risk that should not be taken. Anyone who would seriously consider starting Van Hoijdonk or Hasselbaink needs to have their brain examined. Thus, we are left with Roy Makaay, arguably the most in form Dutch striker and the most likely to score given the lack of service form the wings that has plagued the Dutch team of late. The final strike pairing, IMO, should be: Van der Vaart-Makaay

Sep 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++
I don't think that there is anyway RVN and Makaay could play together. They both require too much service and would not give it to each other. Holland needs someone who can replace Bergkamp, some one to creat goals and to score. That person is most definitely Rafael Van der Vaart. He made to play that position and Holland needs him, so he must be played. As for the other striking position, I think that Holland coaches have often made the mistake of using Kluivert as a striker. The man is way too inclined to pass to be a striker, and he isn't that good of a finisher. Also, I don't see how he can continue to play well for the NT when he is in terrible form for Barca (With the recent exception of a lucky goal.) I'd say that he has to be left on the bench. As for RVN, I don't think that he's good at all in the the holland squad. There's somethign about him, that just doesn't fit right. It's a shame, but considering the importance of this match, he's a risk that should not be taken. Anyone who would seriously consider starting Van Hoijdonk or Hasselbaink needs to have their brain examined. Thus, we are left with Roy Makaay, arguably the most in form Dutch striker and the most likely to score given the lack of service form the wings that has plagued the Dutch team of late. The final strike pairing, IMO, should be: Van der Vaart-Makaay
how bout playing van der vaart and kluivert behind makaay?

or even formation like that:

-----rvn-----makaay-------
-----kluivert - vdv---------
zenden--------van der meyde

crazy :D

OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #13
    Wow we're divided on this one, aren't we? :dazed:

Ian - that is a very good way to look at it! I'm surprised I never got that far!

Fliakis - I actually like that one :cool::D

Bongiovi

Jul 12, 2002
    I think Kluivert/Makaay, but think Van der Vaart behind would be great.

I cant really put RVN anywhere as I've only ever seen him perform with Man U.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    :D Nasty prejudice you got there ;) Probably true as well :D

What do you guys think about Makaay? After his wonder season last year, is it all downhill from now on? How can he ever top last season?

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    He's playing for Bayern now, so it might be next year or the year after before we see him hit his peak with them. How's he done for them so far?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)