"Holland are outsiders!" (1 Viewer)

Who will win Euro2004? (The results of a poll held in The Netherlands this month)

• France

• Czech Republic

• Portugal

• Germany

• Holland of course!

• Someone else (...)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Jan Wouters accepted an offer earlier this month that sees him leave for Portugal as Dick Advocaat's assistant, but the third man behind Willem van Hanegem believes Holland are no more than outsiders on the coming European Championships.

"You can dream of course, there's nothing wrong with that. But in the end of the day, France have much better players, Portugal have the home advantage and the Czech Republic came out the stronger party during the qualification rounds. And then there's Italy, Spain, England and Germany. The latter one currently in the underdog position after their 5-1 defeat in Romania, not a position you want the Germans to be in!"

Jan Wouters appears to share the national sentiment in Holland, an opinion poll held in the small North Sea country shows that most people believe France will simply walk through the tournament and take the title. Holland will only be a minor participant. The full results of the poll are above.

Sources: Voetbal International & PZC
Translation: Erik

---------------------------------

What do you think? You agree? Disagree? Let's hear it!

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
lol, seems like the Dutch people have a brutally realistic point of view as regards their own team. Probably good for them, too, play down those big expectations and just get to work.

On a good day they could beat just about anyone but so much for theory..

Ps. Germany stink now..

OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #3
    Germany stink right NOW yes, but they always get fired up at tournaments :groan:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Well if we are to believe that Euro isn't gonna be a repeat of the World Cup then Germany don't really have a chance imo. France and the Czech Rep are two teams that's gonna beat the shit out of them on current form.

And even going back to the WC, they were fairly fortunate to go as far as they did.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    And even going back to the WC, they were fairly fortunate to go as far as they did.
    You mean the qualifiers?!

I'll be rooting for Holland, especially against Germany :fero:

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++

you gotta thank us for that :D ... we paved the way for them and had them start the WC on a roll.

:down:

Jul 12, 2002
    I don't think that the Netherlands will win, but maybe that's why they won't, because the country has lost confidence in the team...

Jul 19, 2003
    Holland is under-achieving and it's about time that huge amount of talent they seem to always have pay off already. I don't see why they should excluded as one of the main contenders. I have a gut feeling they'll win it.

Jan 7, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by nosubstitute959 ] ++
    Holland is under-achieving and it's about time that huge amount of talent they seem to always have pay off already. I don't see why they should excluded as one of the main contenders. I have a gut feeling they'll win it.

they are missing some taLent on defence though

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++
    they are missing some taLent on defence though
    Missing some talent? I think that's the understatement of the year. Fo rthe past seven years, the Netherlands has produced three real defenders: Stam, De Boer, and Heitinga. De Boer is washed up and Heitinga just broke into the team. If we have any injuries, then the defense will probably collapse if it doesn't collapse on it's own...:down:

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #20
    ++ [ originally posted by nina ] ++
    No it's not. It's pittyful ... giving up, when things haven't even started!!! HELLO!!! Absurd!
    Oh, I sense a cultural barrier here. We are not giving up - we will most certainly support our team with EVERYTHING we've got, especially against Germany. We will, at all times, try to shout our boys to a win and the next round but, realistically, of course, France is the absolute favourite.

I mean, for ****'s sake, even a complete ignorant moron could tell you that!

All that poll really tells you is that the Dutch are of the opinion they need a bit of luck and an immense fighting spirit to be able to win the title. Naturally we'll try to acquire that luck from Lady Fortune by shouting our longues out ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)