History section of Juventuz (12 Viewers)

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Maybe i'm wrong but i think that back in 1977 players didn't own a number but it all depended on who's playing and who's not.
No matter who was playing, the starters had numbers from 1-11. If Zoff was playing then he had #1 but if Zoff was injured or suspended then Alessandrelli would have had #1

Carlo D

The Jazz Man
May 27, 2007
Please bear with me, those of you who remember Juve in 1977. Most of you don't & I'd like to share the fabulous memories the 1977 pic brought back to me! No less than 9 of these guys weren't just in the Italy squad at the 1978 World Cup in Argentina, they actually played. On a Paolo Rossi assist, Roberto Bettega scored the goal for Italy, the only team there to beat Argentina, the eventual Champions! Now I could be corrected here, but Paolo Rossi who also starred at the 1978 World Cup was then part owned by Juve but on loan at Vicenza who bought out his contract & from where he eventually transferred back over to Juve in 1981. (do I need to mention his bribery scandal while on loan from Vicenza to Perugia that got him banned by the FIGC from 1980-1982 & that Juve paid him for a year till 1982 just to stay fit) I'm sure the 1-11 numbers thing is right because it was the 1982 World Cup when Rossi wore 20 and was the only one who ever hit a "tripletta" past Brasil, at least at that level! I remember how the English tv commentators hated Romeo Benetti especially, not to mention Gentile, & Cabrini, calling them "butchers" & then very grudgingly admitting they were also very talented footballers! Then when they ran out of things to say they made cracks about Cuccureddu shaving with a blow-torch! I also remember Virdis who went on to star with Milan, & Fanna who went prematurely bald & joined Inter...

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Maybe i'm wrong but i think that back in 1977 players didn't own a number but it all depended on who's playing and who's not.
No matter who was playing, the starters had numbers from 1-11. If Zoff was playing then he had #1 but if Zoff was injured or suspended then Alessandrelli would have had #1
That's correct. Squad numbers weren't introduced in league football until the nineties! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squad_number#Football_.28soccer.29

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Please bear with me, those of you who remember Juve in 1977. Most of you don't & I'd like to share the fabulous memories the 1977 pic brought back to me! No less than 9 of these guys weren't just in the Italy squad at the 1978 World Cup in Argentina, they actually played. On a Paolo Rossi assist, Roberto Bettega scored the goal for Italy, the only team there to beat Argentina, the eventual Champions! Now I could be corrected here, but Paolo Rossi who also starred at the 1978 World Cup was then part owned by Juve but on loan at Vicenza who bought out his contract & from where he eventually transferred back over to Juve in 1981. (do I need to mention his bribery scandal while on loan from Vicenza to Perugia that got him banned by the FIGC from 1980-1982 & that Juve paid him for a year till 1982 just to stay fit) I'm sure the 1-11 numbers thing is right because it was the 1982 World Cup when Rossi wore 20 and was the only one who ever hit a "tripletta" past Brasil, at least at that level! I remember how the English tv commentators hated Romeo Benetti especially, not to mention Gentile, & Cabrini, calling them "butchers" & then very grudgingly admitting they were also very talented footballers! Then when they ran out of things to say they made cracks about Cuccureddu shaving with a blow-torch! I also remember Virdis who went on to star with Milan, & Fanna who went prematurely bald & joined Inter...
Nice to read your experienced posts, Carlo...

You really add to this forum :tup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)