History section of Juventuz (6 Viewers)

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Please bear with me, those of you who remember Juve in 1977. Most of you don't & I'd like to share the fabulous memories the 1977 pic brought back to me! No less than 9 of these guys weren't just in the Italy squad at the 1978 World Cup in Argentina, they actually played. On a Paolo Rossi assist, Roberto Bettega scored the goal for Italy, the only team there to beat Argentina, the eventual Champions! Now I could be corrected here, but Paolo Rossi who also starred at the 1978 World Cup was then part owned by Juve but on loan at Vicenza who bought out his contract & from where he eventually transferred back over to Juve in 1981. (do I need to mention his bribery scandal while on loan from Vicenza to Perugia that got him banned by the FIGC from 1980-1982 & that Juve paid him for a year till 1982 just to stay fit) I'm sure the 1-11 numbers thing is right because it was the 1982 World Cup when Rossi wore 20 and was the only one who ever hit a "tripletta" past Brasil, at least at that level! I remember how the English tv commentators hated Romeo Benetti especially, not to mention Gentile, & Cabrini, calling them "butchers" & then very grudgingly admitting they were also very talented footballers! Then when they ran out of things to say they made cracks about Cuccureddu shaving with a blow-torch! I also remember Virdis who went on to star with Milan, & Fanna who went prematurely bald & joined Inter...
That year they played the final of the UEFA cup against Bilbao, can anyone get me the numbers of the players that played in the home game in Turin?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
Oct 27, 2004
That year they played the final of the UEFA cup against Bilbao, can anyone get me the numbers of the players that played in the home game in Turin?
LOL, provoking avatar you got there :) Minns den dagen med sorg och ilska, haha!

Carlo D

The Jazz Man
May 27, 2007
Zoff (1)
Gentile (3)
Morini (?)
Furino (?)
Scirea (6)
Tardelli (8)
Cuccureddu (5)
Causio (7)
Boninsegna (9) Gori (sub. 40 min.)
Benetti (10)
Bettega (11)

Identical line up for the away game, except Spinosi, sub. for Boninsegna, 60 min. I don't remember Morini & Furino for some strange reason which is why I have no numbers for them. To explain, I have film clips on DVD (Juventus, one century of emotions) of the Juve - Bilbao games & I remembered all the faces except Morini & Furino so I can't say which is no. 2 & 4, & the commentary is NO help at all...sorry but it's the best I can do...notice if you will, Romeo Benetti, centre back as no.10...it was common amongst European teams in those days not to list players in positional order which made ID less simple than it could be...:confused2

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
Zoff (1)
Gentile (3)
Morini (?)
Furino (?)
Scirea (6)
Tardelli (8)
Cuccureddu (5)
Causio (7)
Benetti (10)
Bettega (11)

Identical line up for the away game, except Spinosi, sub. for Boninsegna, 60 min. I don't remember Morini & Furino for some strange reason which is why I have no numbers for them. To explain, I have film clips on DVD (Juventus, one century of emotions) of the Juve - Bilbao games & I remembered all the faces except Morini & Furino so I can't say which is no. 2 & 4, & the commentary is NO help at all...sorry but it's the best I can do...notice if you will, Romeo Benetti, centre back as no.10...it was common amongst European teams in those days not to list players in positional order which made ID less simple than it could be...:confused2
Carlo & Jack, I uploaded the 1st leg as a torrent on our personal tracker, if you guys are interested, perhaps you could figure out the missing pieces of the puzzle using it.

Carlo D

The Jazz Man
May 27, 2007
Carlo & Jack, I uploaded the 1st leg as a torrent on our personal tracker, if you guys are interested, perhaps you could figure out the missing pieces of the puzzle using it.
Thanks to you too, man, but it still won't tell me which of the 2 guys is which...what I'm going to try & get is a pic which actually names Furino & Morini, then getting the numbers is no problem...

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Zoff (1)
Gentile (3)
Morini (?)
Furino (?)
Scirea (6)
Tardelli (8)
Cuccureddu (5)
Causio (7)
Benetti (10)
Bettega (11)

Amazing, thank you very much.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Rami, I downloaded the game from you and that's why I wanted the numbers.

Carlo D

The Jazz Man
May 27, 2007
It's not worth starting a new thread for this...does anyone know or remember when the tradition of giving a player a real cap, embroidered with the name of the country in question when he was "capped" or called up for international duty was stopped? I think it was the late 1960's.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
It's not worth starting a new thread for this...does anyone know or remember when the tradition of giving a player a real cap, embroidered with the name of the country in question when he was "capped" or called up for international duty was stopped? I think it was the late 1960's.
It's still in practice in England. I remember reading a quote from Damien Duff where he mentioned his envy of his English teammates who got a cap for each game, while the Irish players only got one at the end of each season, with some sort of badge on them for each game played that season.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
As far as I know Caps are still given for playing for Scotland and it was definitely still happening up to the mid 1990's or so.

Dunno what the deal is elsewhere.

Carlo D

The Jazz Man
May 27, 2007
It's still in practice in England. I remember reading a quote from Damien Duff where he mentioned his envy of his English teammates who got a cap for each game, while the Irish players only got one at the end of each season, with some sort of badge on them for each game played that season.
As far as I know Caps are still given for playing for Scotland and it was definitely still happening up to the mid 1990's or so.

Dunno what the deal is elsewhere.
Thanks, guys. Believe it or not this is a discussion I've had with football fans of different ages & nationalities, & the younger ones didn't even know real caps were given for international call-up. They thought it to be a term in name only!

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Thanks, guys. Believe it or not this is a discussion I've had with football fans of different ages & nationalities, & the younger ones didn't even know real caps were given for international call-up. They thought it to be a term in name only!
Pffft.

Kids these days :disagree:

Geof

May 14, 2004
I learned sometng today. A lot of you will probably now it, but still.

Do you know why we play in black&white today, as started with pink & black as colors?

Well I read somewhere that the kit manufacturer in 1903 mixed up some teams and livered us the kits of Notts County FC, which were indeed black and white. We used those kits (hey was 1903!!) and sort of adopted the colors!

soulslider

Rregula sound
May 16, 2006
Black & White
Posted on: Mon 21 May 2007

As the world's oldest league club, NottsCounty has obviously had an effect on some of the game's younger denizens. Juventus have often been cited as owing their club kit to the Magpies, but just how did the Notts kit originate itself?

Why do Juventus play in the same colours as Notts County?

In 1899, Juventus played in pink shirts but continual washing faded the colour so much that in 1903 they sought to replace them.

The club asked one of their team members, Englishman John Savage, if he had any contacts in England who could supply new shirts in a colour that would better withstand the elements.

By coincidence, his friend back home lived in Nottingham, and being a NottsCounty supporter, shipped out the black and white striped shirts to Turin.

Juve have worn the shirts ever since, considering the colours to be aggressive and powerful.

An example of how Notts helped to shape one of the world's biggest clubs, and proof of this is that the Juventus kit is instantly recognisable the world over.

http://www.nottscountyfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/HistoryDetail/0,,10426~1028229,00.html

rvi

l'amour toujours
Apr 5, 2007
Does anyone know how exactly they go about selecting who will be the captain of the team?
I know for instance in Milan there is a seniority role.....

and lately whenever DP leaves the pitch Buffon gets the armband but does anyone know the process of how the next captain is selected?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)