Hillsboro Hype (2 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Hillsboro was just more proof that nobody should attend FA Cup matches anyway.

Italy now leads the way in how fans should treat domestic cups. If a drunk got his head caught in the toilet at a Coppa Italia match, he'd drown and nobody would notice his body until a week later.

Buy on AliExpress.com

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
There are a few things about Hillsborough which irk me. The idea that many fans were not drunk is something I'll never believe, and it doesn't align with what followed. That was part and parcel of the match day experience in the 80s. My old man can't remember watching many matches during that era as he and his group always turned up blind drunk. You drunk, you sung, you fought your way there and back, that was football. By Hillsborough things came to a head in that regards in this country.

Aside from that you have an absolutely scandalous cover up from the police. When it comes to covering their own arses they quite literally are the rule, only the bankers and MPs surpass them.

Heysel should always be treated as something different. Forget exterior circumstances, this came about because of drunkenness and hatred from previous violence. It's no wonder Liverpool as a club and supporters would try not to highlight it, it's the darkest day in their history aside from Hillsborough.

- - - Updated - - -

Hillsboro was just more proof that nobody should attend FA Cup matches anyway.

Italy now leads the way in how fans should treat domestic cups. If a drunk got his head caught in the toilet at a Coppa Italia match, he'd drown and nobody would notice his body until a week later.
:lol: It's sad because it's true.

Mar 9, 2006
There are a few things about Hillsborough which irk me. The idea that many fans were not drunk is something I'll never believe, and it doesn't align with what followed. That was part and parcel of the match day experience in the 80s. My old man can't remember watching many matches during that era as he and his group always turned up blind drunk. You drunk, you sung, you fought your way there and back, that was football. By Hillsborough things came to a head in that regards in this country.

Aside from that you have an absolutely scandalous cover up from the police. When it comes to covering their own arses they quite literally are the rule, only the bankers and MPs surpass them.

Heysel should always be treated as something different. Forget exterior circumstances, this came about because of drunkenness and hatred from previous violence. It's no wonder Liverpool as a club and supporters would try not to highlight it, it's the darkest day in their history aside from Hillsborough.

- - - Updated - - -

:lol: It's sad because it's true.
Love Juve fans reaction, for 20 years L'pool and their football society were keeping silence and only because we met them in CL they finally tried to say sorry

Mar 9, 2006
About what kind of justice english players and the whole football community is talking about for another day?! The main cop gave command to open gates and he's made a huge mistake, people ran into the stands without giving a fuck about their tickets and seats and people died because of too much crowd, organisation was super low, it's simple to figure out who is to blame for this incident (police) but they can't do it for 25 fucking years?! Are you kidding me?! :sergio:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
What point are you making? I think those headlines have been discredited by now, at least on the whole. 'Some' doesn't really cover it, even if they are debatable events at best.

Mar 9, 2006
What point are you making? I think those headlines have been discredited by now, at least on the whole. 'Some' doesn't really cover it, even if they are debatable events at best.
Joseph Barton ‏@Joey7Barton
So proud of my city, the people and my sport. Hopefully justice will be delivered shortly. #JFT96 x pic.twitter.com/cHFuipeQYv

The whole twitter is about it

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
People feel better about things when they think some form of mano negra is at play. To think that a bunch of their fellow drunken louts were responsible for trampling their buddies to death is too much for some to accept and bear.

It's what makes conspiracy theories popular.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
The sentiment is correct, though,

And Superga and Munich don't have as much to do with fans at the matches.

Ragazza

Calciopoli Director
Jul 22, 2013
I have a question for the people who don't like all the Hillsborough memorial/remembrance each year. Would you feel differently if not for Heysel, or if it was a different club besides Liverpool? It is an eye-for-an-eye type mentality? Not trying to stir shit with anyone, genuine question. I feel terrible for the victims and families of both tragedies, nobody should have to die going to a football match, no matter which club they support.

As for the lack of such a widespread memorial for Heysel victims, I don't think it's so much people thinking one is "worse" than the other, or trying to cover anything up or issues with guilt. Everyone knows who was at fault for Heysel and the people responsible for it have been dealt with. I don't know any Liverpool fans who try to deny what really happened (and they're an idiot if they do). And the club were punished for the behavior of the "fans" involved. Of course none of that can bring those people back, but unfortunately nothing can. But even now 25 years later, new things are still being uncovered about Hillsborough, all the lies and coverups by the police and the media to pin it on the fans which was the easiest way out. So that's partly why it's still treated as a big deal.

Fine if you just think that clubs in the UK shouldn't have felt obligated to participate in the minute's silence and late KO, this is addressed more to the people who were particularly critical.

Not true. There's usually a moment of silence and some sort of ceremony if there is a match on that day.
Also, if you go on the Anfield stadium tour, they take you to the Heysel memorial plaque and talk about what happened. And at least my tour guide, he didn't sugarcoat it or anything.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I think the selective memory is a bit hypocritical. Just sayin'.

But even if all things were a shut case and closed on Hillsborough, I doubt there would be silence about it the way there is on Heysel, for example.

Ragazza

Calciopoli Director
Jul 22, 2013
I think the selective memory is a bit hypocritical. Just sayin'.

But even if all things were a shut case and closed on Hillsborough, I doubt there would be silence about it the way there is on Heysel, for example.
What is it that Liverpool and their fans should do differently though? There's already a ceremony each year (it doesn't get all the media coverage, but there is one), and the club made an attempt to patch things up. You can make a valid argument that it should have been done much earlier than it was, but it's better than nothing. And Liverpool fans in general shouldn't be made to feel guilty about a crime they didn't even commit, the only guilty parties should be those who were directly involved.

It also brings up the debate about how much a club is responsible for the behavior of its supporters. If the match had been at Anfield, then I would say that they should have more responsibility with what goes on at their stadium, but it was an away game at a neutral ground. Maybe could have tried to stop known hooligans from getting tickets, but that was a problem all across England at the time and not confined to Liverpool.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Juventino[RUS];4510125 said:
Joseph Barton ‏@Joey7Barton
So proud of my city, the people and my sport. Hopefully justice will be delivered shortly. #JFT96 x pic.twitter.com/cHFuipeQYv

The whole twitter is about it
People are upset by two things - the deaths and the subsequent cover up. I've said my bit already on the surrounding circumstances, but those are all innocent people who died, and the police covered several things up.

Pablo

Jul 9, 2010
Now i hate Liverpool and I do call them Murderers, for Heysel.

I also hate their never their fault mentality, that applies to everything :

* Suarez bittin, diving, racist
* penalties for other players sneezing
* CL rules getting changed for them
* ticket allocations,
* fake ticket,
* robbing own fans,
* throwing human shite at fans,
* pissing on them,
* rocking ambulances with injured footballers in them,
* pushing down garden walls around their own ground,
* ignoring charities and events uless THEIR own media is present,
* ignoring its own community, and alowing the area to run-down, so they can get the council to re-invest via grants.
* Singing munich soungs
* Having Rapid Buccarest flags at Derbies.
* Singing about sick children (Lee Carsleys daughter)
* Singing about Reese Jones (the Everton fan kid, that got shot a few years ago), as soon as the team are loosing.

They deny ALL of these, or twist them as someon else's fault.

They are so different to my club, which is from the very same city.

BUT, 'Justice for the 96', is about the 96 people who died, and then a governmant that had already spent years shitting on all Working Class cities, try and shit on it even more, by covering it up.

That is what every working class man / woman & child should be looking at here. Its about the Establishment getting found out, and you should never ever give up that fight.

The lose of those 96 lives, has nothing to do with the actions of Liverpool Football Club after Heysel.

JFT96

Pablo

Jul 9, 2010
sorry but can you enlighten me on the rapid buccarest flag part please?

Rapid Buccarest won the European cup in 1986. The year that Everton were known to have a great chance to win it.....but we were not allowed to compete, because of the ban, from Heysel.

- - - Updated - - -

They also had a banner with a Helicopter on it, when they played Chelsea, Matthew Harding. died in a Helicopter accident.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Rapid Buccarest won the European cup in 1986. The year that Everton were known to have a great chance to win it.....but we were not allowed to compete, because of the ban, from Heysel.

- - - Updated - - -

They also had a banner with a Helicopter on it, when they played Chelsea, Matthew Harding. died in a Helicopter accident.
all true but it was Steaua B. that won the cup not Rapid. everything else :tup:

- - - Updated - - -

you guys really had a good squad that year

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
What is it that Liverpool and their fans should do differently though? There's already a ceremony each year (it doesn't get all the media coverage, but there is one), and the club made an attempt to patch things up. You can make a valid argument that it should have been done much earlier than it was, but it's better than nothing. And Liverpool fans in general shouldn't be made to feel guilty about a crime they didn't even commit, the only guilty parties should be those who were directly involved.

It also brings up the debate about how much a club is responsible for the behavior of its supporters. If the match had been at Anfield, then I would say that they should have more responsibility with what goes on at their stadium, but it was an away game at a neutral ground. Maybe could have tried to stop known hooligans from getting tickets, but that was a problem all across England at the time and not confined to Liverpool.
I think there's just an imbalance. Liverpool has fallen into the trap of glorifying victimhood while failing to adequately recognize their own role and responsibility in the very tragedies they so condemn.

If you're not going to forget 1989, why does 1986 suddenly fall off the radar as something too old and too irrelevant for the current generation of fans? Both are two sides of the same coin, and it's a far more powerful message to not make it about us vs. them but rather things we can be guilty of if we're not vigilant in the future. It's what much of Germany did in the wake of WW II.

The lesson for history is that it is something humans can be guilty of instigating, not just for being the victims of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)