Henry praises Trezeguet (1 Viewer)

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
France striker Thierry Henry has hailed his international team-mate David Trezeguet, labelling the Juventus marksman as the best finisher in world football.
The duo have forged a prolific partnership for Les Bleus and grabbed all the goals in France's awesome 3-0 victory in Germany on Saturday.

Arsenal star Henry has nothing but praise for his striking compadre and relishes linking up with Trezeguet for the national team.

"I have always stated it is easy to play with David," Henry told L'Equipe. "There is nothing complex as he is always there.

"He always makes the right gesture. For me, on a finishing level, he is the best in the world."

Henry's goal against Germany took his international tally to 11 for the calendar year but he brushed aside the plaudits he received for his scintillating display in Gelsenkirchen.

"As I have always said, I am here to bring something to the team and relieve the defenders," he added.

"The elders have taught me that the most important and most difficult thing is to be consistent. The most difficult thing is maintaining performances."

As for the convincing scoreline against Germany, Henry does not believe it will have any bearing on France's prospects of successfully defending their European crown in Portugal.

He continued: "That (result) doesn't mean anything about the future. Just because we have achieved a beautiful win, it doesn't mean we will be outstanding during Euro 2004.

"And if we had lost, it would have been the same. Who would have thought Germany would play in the last World Cup final?

"In a great competition you have to be good on D-Day. We have won 3-0 and so what? That just shows we can be outstanding against the greatest teams but it is only the truth of one moment."

Buy on AliExpress.com
Sep 28, 2002
bah! i would've scored after that pass from henry. though zizou-trez goal was beautiful.

but, you have to agree. henry and trez is a deadly combination.

OP
Zizou

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
  • Thread Starter #4
    Fab that's probably cos of the different ways Juve and France play.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    I know it's very popular to diss French players at Juve cause they always "play better for France", "put in more effort" and "care more". While some of those things are hard to prove, it's true that the French team at its best has very few equals in the world, while Juve generally faces a lot more opposition. There is no club team in the world dominating as France is on the international stage.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    He's nowhere near the best finisher in the world, anyone could have score d the first goal. And for the second, I dont know I have a feeling it was going out before it was deflected.

Hasuni Boi

Sep 19, 2003
    I don't think ur beeing fair now....The man scored 24 league-goals for us when he was fitt, without a single penalty, and u say that he isn't performing for us.....Give him a break, hi's scoring now and soon he'l score like hell.......

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by GOAT ] ++
    He's nowhere near the best finisher in the world, anyone could have score d the first goal. And for the second, I dont know I have a feeling it was going out before it was deflected.
    28 goals in 48 matches. Show me an active player with a better ratio.

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    I know it's very popular to diss French players at Juve cause they always "play better for France", "put in more effort" and "care more". While some of those things are hard to prove, it's true that the French team at its best has very few equals in the world, while Juve generally faces a lot more opposition. There is no club team in the world dominating as France is on the international stage.
    IMO you are overrating the French team, either that or underrating Juventus. IMO France are good but they are by no means unbeatable. Argentina on top form would wipe the floor with the French.

As for Henry's comments, they are simply absurd. Trez is certainly not the best finisher in the world, due to the fact that all his goals are from about 6 yards. The best finisher in the world would be able to score from far out and would have a wide range of finishing skills rather than just banging it in

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
    IMO you are overrating the French team, either that or underrating Juventus. IMO France are good but they are by no means unbeatable. Argentina on top form would wipe the floor with the French.
    Inevitably the question: when was the last time Argentina was on top form? And even so, few teams are good enough to beat France at THEIR top form, very few. And very few do.

Not that I agree with your claim at all.

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++

Inevitably the question: when was the last time Argentina was on top form? And even so, few teams are good enough to beat France at THEIR top form, very few. And very few do.

Not that I agree with your claim at all.
    Thats completely irrelevant, Argentina may not have been on top form for a while but what does that matter. This argument is purely theoretical anyway as you are never going to get a French team on top form playing off against all the other nations just to see how ultimate they are ( or not, as would be the case ;) )

Juve have been unbeaten all season...it doesn't get too much more dominating than that!

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    No, not in the league it doesn't. But were they unbeaten all of last year?

Ultimately it's not about what team is more dominant, though it does seem like it's easier to succeed with the French NT for whatever reason and whoever does that gets abuse for not doing just as well with the club.

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    Well, it all depends upon what you consider "doing well." Some people will be happy with a 20 goal haul every season, citing the fact that he's paid to score goals and thats what he does etc. I think the main reason he gets "abuse" or constructive criticism as I like to call it is because he's such a lethargic, lazy player, who's all round game would be at home in pub football. Sure he's a great finisher but I don't see any real difference between his finishing for us or the NT..or his all round game in fact.

For me at least, thats not the reason for being disgruntled with the player

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
    Sure he's a great finisher but I don't see any real difference between his finishing for us or the NT..or his all round game in fact.

For me at least, thats not the reason for being disgruntled with the player
    Finally a statement that makes sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)