Help Me with My Debate (7 Viewers)

OP
sallyinzaghi
Aug 1, 2003
  • Thread Starter #61
    whoah I am SOOOOOO tired.

after some serious sarcasm, indirect insults and reaffirming stands, my team won and I did get, best debater.

Thanks to all of you, actually. hahahaha. Man, I sure don't deserve this but what the hell.

and mikhail, I sure don't wanna go against you in a debate man. You scare the shite out of me with your posts in this thread :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
    and mikhail, I sure don't wanna go against you in a debate man. You scare the shite out of me with your posts in this thread :D
    You certainly wouldn't want to meet some of the people I know in the debating societies here then! :) I'm delighted to have been any help at all. Congrats on your prize.

OP
    sallyinzaghi
    Aug 1, 2003
  • Thread Starter #64
    oh, one thing sucks though- my next opponent is the school's CHAMPION TEAM.

I hope you guys would still be around to help me with the next round :D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++

I hope you guys would still be around to help me with the next round :D
    Hey so that means you get to know the topic and u have preparation time!? That's awesome! When i did debating, we showed up on the day and they told us the topic. We had about 3 hours to prepare.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    3 Hours? We get 5 minutes :groan:

It has it's pro's though - it doesn't cost you any preparation time so relaxing on the beach is on the agenda :D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++
    3 Hours? We get 5 minutes :groan:
    well i dunno if it was 3 hours...well whatever. 5 minutes?! for real?! that's not even enough time to write your speech out by hand if u had it memorized! I'm hoping that i totally missed your exaggeration here.... i'm guessing so, since 5 minutes is hardly enough time on the beach to get your tan going

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Nono, what I meant was that, since we don't get the subject days before the debate like Sally, there's no preparation work to be done so you have time to do other things.

Speech? It's a debate! What do you need a speech for? You get a line, a thesis. They tell you whether you're for or against and you start discussing.

What would you want to write a speech for?

gray

Apr 22, 2003

Speech? It's a debate! What do you need a speech for? You get a line, a thesis. They tell you whether you're for or against and you start discussing.

What would you want to write a speech for?
    Well u gotta have some sort of points that u're gonna make no matter what, right?? It's not just a bloody head-to-head argument, and u can't spend 5 minutes rebutting the other team's points....right?

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Apparently we use a different tactic. You see, they are teaching us quick thinking. It's a political/communicative education and they want to train us for debates and interviews where you only seldom can prepare yourself for.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Ahhh i see... well of course there's quick thinking to a certain degree in that you have to come up with a logical, well-structured argument to the other team's points, but we have to stand there by ourselves and talk for like 5 minutes, which is bloody ages really... and it's pretty hard to ad-lib 5 minutes worth of logical speech.

btw i've got 2 q's about ur sig:

if they're gonna say "or any other ground", why bother having the examples? Just say "any ground" :D

Also, "we do not recognise any higher power" states that anyone who practises religion is outside the constitution in a way, thereby contradicting itself :)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    Ahhh i see... well of course there's quick thinking to a certain degree in that you have to come up with a logical, well-structured argument to the other team's points, but we have to stand there by ourselves and talk for like 5 minutes, which is bloody ages really... and it's pretty hard to ad-lib 5 minutes worth of logical speech.
    Oh wow, I hate opening debates with a 5 minute speech/introduction! So glad I don't have to do that often.

btw i've got 2 q's about ur sig:

if they're gonna say "or any other ground", why bother having the examples? Just say "any ground" :D
    Good point, I'll suggest it to the Queen :D

Also, "we do not recognise any higher power" states that anyone who practises religion is outside the constitution in a way, thereby contradicting itself :)
    Nono, "higher power" as in "titles" (such as knight) or "positions" (such as president, king). I translated the thing myself (am currently studying a course of Dutch Law and was reading the constitution, figured the first article would be nice to have as a sig.)

Got any suggestions what it should be?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Nono, "higher power" as in "titles" (such as knight) or "positions" (such as president, king).
    Ahh I see. I feel quite the fool now :)

Got any suggestions what it should be?
    Ummm i'm not quite sure. It's just that "higher powers" usually refers to...well, u know. Maybe something like "distinguishing titles" ??? That's a toughie to translate, really.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Yes don't remind me. 10 minutes and "higher powers" was the best I could come up with. :groan:

Thanks for the suggestion! See if I can take it from there and find something else.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    On should be in and of should be to then? Thanks for that - I'd rather have you correct me than that bastard who reviews my exams, if you know what I mean :D

Anything else?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Changed "power" into "authority", how does that sound?
    hmmm I dunno, because i'm not so sure that no higher authorities aren't recognised, because people like police and politians etc. are acknowledge as having authority.

I think you should include the word "titles" in there...just because I say so :stuckup:

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)