Help Me with My Debate (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

Exams don't just test knowledge (at least good ones don't:D), they test your ability to reason, to calculate, to think.

How does a question that tests verbal reasoning constitute a knowledge test? How does a question asking you to solve a quadratic equation test mere knowledge? You might have memorised the formula - in fact, that's assumed - but the question is designed to determine if you can apply what you've learned to a problem.
But then again, the ability to reason, calculate and think are all examined via mediums/media chosen by the school/university in question. Maybe there's some genius living in a third world country who can ponder the most abstract of thoughts, but someone would call him an idiot for not knowing the answer to 1+1. But this may be the case because the conventional counting system to which we're all used to might not be familiar to him. Sure, he'll be able to pick it up in a second, but to examine someone's ability to calculate based on a specific method of calculation is unfair.

It's kind of like music. Not every culture has the same system of tuning as the western system, where C,E and G are in harmony because of their wavelengths and all that. There might be a singer who sounds brilliant in one culture because their voice is in perfect harmony with a certain musical standard, but not with ours

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
sallyinzaghi
Aug 1, 2003
  • Thread Starter #22
    thanks everyone!! Great points, but I might not be able to present it well. I'll let all of you know how the competition goes.

Oh, keep the points coming if you will.

Mac

Jul 11, 2002
    As I said before, multiple choice questions are a very popular way of examination on the Continent. It doesn't require the students to understand, it requires them to know.
    Actually about 3 of my lecturers have admitted they only use multiple choice to make it easier for them to mark. :)

Also i dont get the difference in knowing and understanding a question?

Also isnt it the other way around, with multiple choice you can get away with minimal knowledge as you can elimiate the answers that seem in the wrong format etc. Without multiple choice your on your own, so its know it or fail it :)

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    Sally, Exams dont prove anything. Those grades are nothing more than marks for your frame of mind and expressionism at a certain point of time.

Intelligence can not be measured a great extent. Neither with grades nor with wealth. It basically comes down to the broader picture of your life. And how you deal with each situation you encounter.

Its how you capitalise on your strengths and keep guard of your weaknesses.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by McFarlando ] ++
    Actually about 3 of my lecturers have admitted they only use multiple choice to make it easier for them to mark. :)

Also i dont get the difference in knowing and understanding a question?

Also isnt it the other way around, with multiple choice you can get away with minimal knowledge as you can elimiate the answers that seem in the wrong format etc. Without multiple choice your on your own, so its know it or fail it :)
    Know it or fail it, indeed. Never understand it or fail it.

The difference between them? Knowing is exactly that. Knowing how something goes but to understand WHY something goes the way it goes is a step up.

MC questions exams don't require the latter.

Mac

Jul 11, 2002
    Ah ok

And for ever one else who says exams dont test intelligence. What alternative is there? Exams are as good as we've got so we gotta live with it :D

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    The alternative is practical tests. Hand someone a certain situation, see how he/she handles it.

Of course, it's virtually undo-able for schools and universities. Tests like these don't occur until people start their career and have to put theory into practice.

A sign of knowledge: a diploma
    A sign of intelligence: a good CV

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++

A sign of knowledge: a diploma
    A sign of intelligence: a good CV
    Actually, a good CV is easily obtained by doing well in university exams, getting diplomas etc

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Evidently I was referring to the work-experience part on a CV.

Will you Anglicans stop twisting my words already? I'd like to see you try in MY language!

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++

Will you Anglicans stop twisting my words already? I'd like to see you try in MY language!
    sorry, i don't speak gibberish

:p

OP
    sallyinzaghi
    Aug 1, 2003
  • Thread Starter #34
    :LOL:
    so far, I only came up with one point for myself :down:

that is
    Einstein dropped out of high school and all, but he's an intelligent man.

now that I think of it, chances of me losing are opening up bigger and bigger

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    But then again, the ability to reason, calculate and think are all examined via mediums/media chosen by the school/university in question. Maybe there's some genius living in a third world country who can ponder the most abstract of thoughts, but someone would call him an idiot for not knowing the answer to 1+1. But this may be the case because the conventional counting system to which we're all used to might not be familiar to him. Sure, he'll be able to pick it up in a second, but to examine someone's ability to calculate based on a specific method of calculation is unfair.
    The point of oour exam systems though is to first teach him how to count, and then to test him on the application of the learned knowledge.

I'm studying Engineering. When I sit an exam, it's on an engineering topic, not on English Literature, or Comparative Theology.

Sep 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Dj Juve ] ++
    it's quite the simplest thing on earth...sure as hell much more fun than
    what? cheating? you must be crazy. one teacher once said: "students only can cheat when they are allowed to do that by teacher." very true. if teacher will watch you closely you wont be able to cheat. and now students that are caught cheating during exams are expelled automatically. so i'm done with it. maybe thats why i failed...

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
    :LOL:
    so far, I only came up with one point for myself :down:

that is
    Einstein dropped out of high school and all, but he's an intelligent man.
    Bill Gates, another example.

OP
    sallyinzaghi
    Aug 1, 2003
  • Thread Starter #39
    okay, my team's definiton of intelligence is acquiring and applying knowledge, but what should I answer to the opposition if they say you are given formulas and you APPLY it to your mathematical questions, does that not nurture thus prove your intelligence as it requires thinking and applying?

man im so screwed

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Maths is just one type of intelligence Sally. It's tough to test all types. If you look at Mensa's site, there's probably a list of the differant types of intellegence (there are about 7). See if you can work them into your arguement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)