Help me learn Italian and other languages (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Something hit me the other day, and for some reason i decided that i feel like learning Italian. Not necessarily be able to speak fluently or anything, but just to such a level that i can understand newspaper articles and 80% of what commentators are saying. Go ahead and laugh and say it'll never happen, but I care not. It's a beautiful language and i figure it'd be useful in that it'll open up the range of football material that will be useful to me :D

Sounds pretty random and even ridiculous, but i just feel like it.

So, any starting points from ppl who know Italian? e.g. sentence structure, starting points etc

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    Thanks Josh, but I wasn't hoping to pay money for it :p:D

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    Its a romance language so if you know spanish/portuguese/french it'll be easier for you, although comparing it from spanish some words/verbs are the same but the structure is slightly different. The pronunciation of stuff is more like spanish than french and its quite exactly like spanish except a couple of things

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #5
    Thanks fabi ;)

Hmm pity I don't know Spanish/Portuguese/French

I've been reading a few things online, but i guess i'll have to ask you guys specifics. I don't really know how to get started learning a language. Hrmm

I hope this is worth it :)

Meow

Jun 8, 2003
    Yeah...that site looks good.

Plus I bought a book (with an audio CD) last week so I guess I'll be enjoying my Italian learning.........when I have time.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    Something hit me the other day, and for some reason i decided that i feel like learning Italian. Not necessarily be able to speak fluently or anything, but just to such a level that i can understand newspaper articles and 80% of what commentators are saying. Go ahead and laugh and say it'll never happen, but I care not. It's a beautiful language and i figure it'd be useful in that it'll open up the range of football material that will be useful to me :D

Sounds pretty random and even ridiculous, but i just feel like it.

So, any starting points from ppl who know Italian? e.g. sentence structure, starting points etc
    You should know that Italian newspapers aren't written like any other newspaper. They language that is used (particularly in sports newspapers) is very colourful and your knowledge of the Italian language would have to be beyond basic to be able to understand it.

Beyond a basic you could teach yourself, that is. Especially in your case when the two languages you speak are Korean and English, none of them resemble Italian an awful lot :)

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #13
    Actually, from what I've seen, the sentence structure is pretty easy to pick up, though the progress will be slow if i don't take a course somewhere. Oh well, i'm not in a huge rush; it'd just be a convenient thing to have around :)

You're probably right about the newspapers, and the commentators speak bloody fast... bah i still wanna learn :D

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by fabiana ] ++
    whoa! is there a page like that one but for german?
    I'd like to know that too. I've applied for an internship in Germany this summer, so if I get it, I'll have to refresh my knowledge of the language.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    I can practice with you if you want - it'll be good for me too.

Gray - you're underestimating how difficult it is to learn a foreign language imo but good luck anyway.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    That'd be fantastic Erik, though I've forgotten so much I'd practicly be starting from scratch. It makes me feel a great deal of respect for all of you non native English speakers.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    I should be ashamed of myself if I didn't speak English actually. Here in Holland we get bombared by it on radio, TV (we subtitle everything) then nowadays there's internet. It's no trouble for a Dutchmen to study English (btw did you know that Modern Dutch is English's closest relative?).

German on the other hand :nervous: So let me know when you want to start - we can do this via PM if you want.

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #19
    ++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++

Gray - you're underestimating how difficult it is to learn a foreign language imo but good luck anyway.
    I never said it'd be easy, and i said the progress would be slow since i'm not being taught, but just knowing the basics might come in handy; I enjoy studying languages anyway :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)