Help me learn Italian and other languages (1 Viewer)

OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #21
    ++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++
    Really? Which languages do you speak?
    English, Korean, I studied French, Latin and Japanese but i've since forgotten :wallbang: But even within Korean and English, I like pondering the roots of words, how different words are composed e.g. biology (life study), atheist (without God) for lack of a better example.

Korean is quite interesting too, since it has Chinese roots and every word has a precise meaning based on which characters are used :cool: Sometimes I just think upon a word I've been using for 18 years and say "ooooh, it has that meaning because of _____" but now i'm rambling so i'll shut up

Buy on AliExpress.com

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    No actually I have the exact same "hobby"!! I speak Dutch, English, German, French and Italian as a result :D Figured I might as well study languages since its the only thing I can do successfully.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    No actually I have the exact same "hobby"!! I speak Dutch, English, German, French and Italian as a result :D Figured I might as well study languages since its the only thing I can do successfully.
    Having been forced to speak two languages since the age of four, doing French for a year when i was ten, and then adding German to that from the age of eleven, I lost all desire to learn further languages!

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Well being Dutch you don't have a choice. We live in the tiniest of nations, speak a language that nobody understands, to the West there's the UK, to the south there's Belgium (where they speak Dutch in the north and French in the south) and France and to the east there's Germany! :sigh:

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Well being Dutch you don't have a choice. We live in the tiniest of nations, speak a language that nobody understands, to the West there's the UK, to the south there's Belgium (where they speak Dutch in the north and French in the south) and France and to the east there's Germany! :sigh:
    I live in a nation half as big, and I've no such problems. Having your native language all but eradicated helps though. :)

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #28
    I live in a huge nation with no neighbours and 1 language :groan:

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Er ... :undecide: I would agree with that but I haven't a clue what eradicated means!
    Destroyed, wiped out.

++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    I live in a huge nation with no neighbours and 1 language :groan:
    Sure, isn't New Zealand next door. ;)

I played a New Zealander in a chess tournie last weekend. He mistook my accent for English. :mad:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
    Destroyed, wiped out.
    Ah ok. Well history has been just as kind on you as it has been on us when it comes to occupation and the likes. I suppose we were lucky enough to be with a reasonably large population, at least large enough for the language to survive.

But I heard somewhere (maybe it was my English teacher who told me this, not sure) that there were measures being taken to revive the Irish language. Is that true?

Gray - that's a good thing.

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #31

Gray - that's a good thing.
    In some ways; but then again, it doesn't exactly help when u wanna practise other languages :sigh:

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    But I heard somewhere (maybe it was my English teacher who told me this, not sure) that there were measures being taken to revive the Irish language. Is that true?
    Kind of. A small percentage of us still speak it as our first language, and we're taught it from the start of primary school, but not very well. I've learned it for a total of 13 years, but it's kind of crap because you feel it's foisted on you, yet another pointless exam. :lazy: It's counterproductive. There's noise being made to have it included as an official EU language, but it's pointless - it'll just put expense on the taxpayer to have translations of all EU documents available in Irish.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    In some ways; but then again, it doesn't exactly help when u wanna practise other languages :sigh:
    I'm no better off that way Gray. I guess I could learn some Spanish or Italian from the students here, but whenever I've worked with Italians, about the only Italian they impart to the co-workers is the translation of "nice ass"! (Honest)

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    Whoa, Erik you speak like 300 languages!!!! I only speak spanish, english, some italian and I wanna learn german and russian!

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by fabiana ] ++
    Whoa, Erik you speak like 300 languages!!!! I only speak spanish, english, some italian and I wanna learn german and russian!
    You don't want to learn Russian, honey. Believe me, I have tried :D

When you learn Russian you have to start from scratch. They have a different alphabet - you LITERALLY have to learn how to write again!!

Kind of. A small percentage of us still speak it as our first language, and we're taught it from the start of primary school, but not very well. I've learned it for a total of 13 years, but it's kind of crap because you feel it's foisted on you, yet another pointless exam. :lazy: It's counterproductive. There's noise being made to have it included as an official EU language, but it's pointless - it'll just put expense on the taxpayer to have translations of all EU documents available in Irish.
    Damn, that's a real shame!

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #38

whenever I've worked with Italians, about the only Italian they impart to the co-workers is the translation of "nice ass"! (Honest)
    They say that to you? :wth:

:p

++ [ originally posted by MISS DUBAI ] ++
    dont u wanna learn arabic??
    I wouldn't mind, but for now I'll at least stick with an alphabet i'm familiar with :)

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003

If you want, you can join us in the "Juventuz auf Deutsch" thread.
    I know nothing about german. NOTHING. I just read that thread and the only word I understood was "fussball", lol. All I know is "ich liebe dich" and "danke"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)