have juventus ever retired a jersey? (2 Viewers)

Philipp00

Jan 31, 2004
- vOnAm - said:
Ahh hell, Football is a world game, it would be ridiculous to retire a number as there are and were so many greats that have played for Juventus and there will be more!

I agree. Would make no sense to retire a shirt. Perhaps for 5 or 10 years. but not forever. our players would have to play with numbers like 45 or 120 in a few decades if we would do that.

Holygr4le

Aug 4, 2005
Philipp00 said:
I agree. Would make no sense to retire a shirt. Perhaps for 5 or 10 years. but not forever. our players would have to play with numbers like 45 or 120 in a few decades if we would do that.
Why???
Cant we agree on that retire numbers is a bad idea.
So if the club signed a star with No 10 for example he would have to wait for 3 years to have his number? And change then??? No retirement.
It is like a plauge in hockey. They just retire shirts as i change underware.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Holygr4le said:
???? When.
It was used 2 seasons ago. I do not believe it is retired...

Really? You sure about that? I remember reading about the retirement of Maradona's number 10, but I might've mixed it up.

Holygr4le

Aug 4, 2005
Dominic said:
Really? You sure about that? I remember reading about the retirement of Maradona's number 10, but I might've mixed it up.
I´m sure. Saw an ducumentary about a swedish player named Kalle Corneliusson that played in the No 10 shirt. They asked him how it was playing in that shirt and so on....

I´m sure. Just googled it....

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
In my perspective, I would retire those "not-so-famous" numbers in betwwen 1-23. IMO numbers from 7-11 r "untouchable" since there r many legends and fantastic players that wore those shirt numbers b4 and it would be ridiculous to retire them. And these 5 numbers r mainly with amazing players who r fabulous and r mainly attackers. When I think of this, I think of the FIFA and European Footballer of the Year, when the candidates awarded usually wear these shirt numbers.

If I were to retire a number, I would probably choose a number that belongs to a defender, like Milan intending to retire the shirt number #3 after Maldini's retirement. Personally I feel that Juve should retire #2 for Ferrara and #6 for Scirea after their contributions to Juve, to make everybody know the importance of defenders as well.

Sep 28, 2002
Holygr4le said:
@ fliakis

So do you think it is a good idea to retire numbers?
no not really. i actually like the idea that players who start the game shoyuld wear number 1 to 11.

1 - gigi
2 - thuram
3 - chiellini
4 - paddy
5 - fabio
6 - camo
7 - zambrotta
8 - emo
9 - zlatan
10 - trez
11 - pavel

pretty neat idea :D

Holygr4le

Aug 4, 2005
Fliakis said:
no not really. i actually like the idea that players who start the game shoyuld wear number 1 to 11.

1 - gigi
2 - thuram
3 - chiellini
4 - paddy
5 - fabio
6 - camo
7 - zambrotta
8 - emo
9 - zlatan
10 - trez
11 - pavel

I agree 100%
Would like to se the numbers 1-11 on the starting 11. Bringing back the status in the numbers. Instead of as it is right now.., trez 17 for example.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Cannavaro in #28 is rather ridiculous in my opinion, this guy already has a status in Italy and is wearing the captain's armband, yet he wears #28 instead of a more normal looking #5

Same for Mutu, I still think #18 looks ridiculous.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
Fliakis said:

1 - gigi
2 - thuram
3 - chiellini
4 - paddy
5 - fabio
6 - camo
7 - zambrotta
8 - emo
9 - zlatan
10 - trez
11 - pavel

So players would have no fixed numbers then? Say if one of them got injured, his replacement would have to wear his number and if a player is rested he would wear a different number on the bench.

Sep 28, 2002
Desmond said:
So players would have no fixed numbers then? Say if one of them got injured, his replacement would have to wear his number and if a player is rested he would wear a different number on the bench.
exactly. just like it was before 97 i think.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
I quite like the idea, except nowadays alot of players enjoy a certain amount of identity and recognition with their respective numbers (Vieri's 32, Henry's 14, Davids' 26 etc.).

Geof

May 14, 2004
Dominic said:
Argentina wanted to retire Maradona's shirt. But the FIFA only accepts numbers 1-22 for National teams, so you can't retire a jersey. Unless you drop a player frop the squad...

olkiller

Sep 9, 2002
I think CONSIDERING retiring the N° 10 shirt is enough of a recognition.
Actually withdrawing it would stain Del Piero's legend (it would be yet another polemic). There will be many other 10's @ Juve but none will ever wear it the way Del Piero did. Therefore, no need to withdraw it to highlight what facts & memories already do...Plus, it's not in Juventus' philosophy to do this, get over it, not in a million years. We will have other greats in our squad. We're not Napoli, nor are we Livorno. Del Piero shines all the more, as competition is stellar: Platini, Baggio...Need I say more?
I'll add that Maradona's case is VERY special. To me, he's the greatest football player ever, maybe ronaldinho will reach this status soon. Maradona was a pure number 10. Ronaldinho is the only player able to fill his shoes. Zidane & co simply cannot.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Shadowfax said:
Ive never seen it like that z...

If you go back to the old W M Formations you will see 8 often shown as inside right, but as far as ive ever seen 7 has allways been right mid or right wing, even in W M it was outside right...

Same goes to the even older common 2 3 5 formation, where agin 8 was inside right and 7 right wing
That's how I've always seen it too. It doesn't seem to fit 4-4-2 sensibly, but I imagine it made total sense in the old days.

Maresca said:
no, 10 has been allways for playmakers, 7 allways for wingers, exept at juve ;)
10 is traditionally the deeper-playing forward, like Del Piero. Call that a playmaker if you like, but Paul is referring to attacking midfielders a la Zidane.

Rami said:
W M being?
An elderly formation. What 4-4-2 means for us, W-M meant for old men. :biggrin:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)