Gym and fitness (7 Viewers)

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
Of course the last reps of the set are more meaningful than the first. Muscle fiber requirement is different on the first reps compared to the last. It's those first reps of the set that are recruiting slow muscle fibers and then it goes way up to the last couple reps when they're recruiting all of them, so basically the more that rep activates those muscle fibers, the better it is for the gains. If you do some box jumps for example, it recruits those fast muscle fibers but lacks mechanical tension.

So, all reps are not equal.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
IIRC max amount of protein your body can absorb at once is ~40-50g so it doesnt make sense to each 100g at once. Spread it over few meals, preferrably a portion after lifting

Also these daily intake recommendations are WAY too fucking high.
Yeah that's my experience too. I never come close to getting the recommended amount of protein. On most days I wouldn't get even half but I don't have difficulty with muscle growth as long as I'm getting enough calories.

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
I think that protein intake is way more important when cutting. Too much protein is just extra calories and if you eat like 3-5 meals a day and get around 1.5-2.5g protein per 1kg of lean body weight you really can't go wrong. It's stupid make it too scientific as we probably ain't any pro athletes(except self-proclaimed like me) so keeping it simple is just the way to go.

All that protein based stuff on the market, all the nutrition etc. is just a big business and it's mostly all about talk and empty promises, especially for the beginners. There's tons of known faces speaking behalf of doing this or taking that, but it's all about marketing and you shouldn't take it too seriously. I don't say post work our recovery drink is bad in any means, but you will be completely fine without it and it's just harder for some of the people to have an actual meal after tough training session, so a post workout drink might be better solution.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Yeah that's my experience too. I never come close to getting the recommended amount of protein. On most days I wouldn't get even half but I don't have difficulty with muscle growth as long as I'm getting enough calories.
:tup:

My uncle, who was a national team coach for wrestling and later high performance sport director for the national snowboard team, has always said that excessive protein recommendations are garbage. He always said between 1.25 - 2g/kg of body weight, dependent on athletic endeavour/training goals, because that’s all you can really effectively utilize. I think up to 2g/kg as a bodybuilder or strength sport athlete would be fine, but people eating 300-400g of protein a day at sub-100kg body weight are a wee bit ridiculous.

Edit. Unless using anabolic steroids... then protein intake and synthesis can skyrocket.

Last edited:

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
I unintentionally lost somewhere around 10-15 pounds and now I can't lift as much :cry:. But, I am determined to get back to where I was at. Because of this, I thought it would be best to switch up my routine and go from legs/chest+triceps/back+biceps/shoulders to push/pull/legs/push/pull/legs.

My question is, how would you structure a push or pull day? I'm concerned about the feasibility of it. Because for example if I were to just combine what I do for chest, triceps, and shoulders for a push day then I'd probably have to be at the gym for roughly 2.5 - 3 hours.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
I unintentionally lost somewhere around 10-15 pounds and now I can't lift as much :cry:. But, I am determined to get back to where I was at. Because of this, I thought it would be best to switch up my routine and go from legs/chest+triceps/back+biceps/shoulders to push/pull/legs/push/pull/legs.

My question is, how would you structure a push or pull day? I'm concerned about the feasibility of it. Because for example if I were to just combine what I do for chest, triceps, and shoulders for a push day then I'd probably have to be at the gym for roughly 2.5 - 3 hours.
It doesn't matter if you're pushing or pulling. Just get the most done - "lift" as heavy and as much - as possible in the time you have.

Depending on what it is you want to achieve, make a routine accordingly. Personally I find the most efficient way to work all muscle groups is to do compound exercises and forget the isolation ones.

You want to work chest, shoulders and triceps in one day? Bench press.

Your routine there seems complicated.

P.s. You'll get back that strength in no time if you're consistent.

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006

I am currently on a modified PPL since I find going to gym for 6 days is a bit too much.

On Monday: Bench Press, Incline DB press, lateral rises, front rises, sz bar triceps extensions + another triceps excercise. Abs.

Tuesday: 3-4 back excercises, facepulls + 2 biceps.

Wednesday: 2-3 legs, arnold press, shoulder press

Thursday: rest, abs at home :D

Friday: 3 Chest, 2 triceps

Saturday: 3-4 back, 2 biceps, abs.

Sunday: Rest

I add calves and shrugs somewhere whenever i feel doing them.

This takes me about an hour and half, maybe even less for 4 sets, 8-10 reps each.

In pure PPL from what I understood instead of doing for example 4 chest excercises on Monday only, you do split them in two for two days a week.

Or you can check this.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010

I do bench, incline bench, shoulder press, dips, machine work with various shoulder raises and finish it with tricep pull downs. I alternate bench between barbell and dumbbells on different days.

for pulls,, pull-ups, deadlifts, dumbbell rows, barbell rows, machine pull downs, machine rows, that one machine where you squeeze your back out instead of chest in, and bicep curls.

as long as you put in work, you’ll see results

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
It doesn't matter if you're pushing or pulling. Just get the most done - "lift" as heavy and as much - as possible in the time you have.

Depending on what it is you want to achieve, make a routine accordingly. Personally I find the most efficient way to work all muscle groups is to do compound exercises and forget the isolation ones.

You want to work chest, shoulders and triceps in one day? Bench press.

Your routine there seems complicated.

P.s. You'll get back that strength in no time if you're consistent.
It's more about doing something different, since I've had the same routine for a while now. I feel a bit of variation at this point would be beneficial.

Yes of course, those lifts are always the focus (bench, deadlift, squat).

What I do now is:
Legs: Squat, plate loaded linear leg press, plate loaded calf raise machine, hip ad/abduction machine (max weight on the machine of course), hip thrusts
Chest + triceps: Dumbbell bench, (sometimes) incline bench, cable pec fly machine, tricep pushdown, dips, cable decline bench as a finisher
Back + biceps: Deadlift, pullups, cable row, bicep curls, hamstring curls
Shoulders: Dumbell overhead press, front and lateral raises, face pull, cable reverse fly, shrugs

Abs twice a week, occasionally throw in front squats on a random Friday because the gym is almost empty.

There's some overlap of course but this works out well with timing as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I do bench, incline bench, shoulder press, dips, machine work with various shoulder raises and finish it with tricep pull downs. I alternate bench between barbell and dumbbells on different days.

for pulls,, pull-ups, deadlifts, dumbbell rows, barbell rows, machine pull downs, machine rows, that one machine where you squeeze your back out instead of chest in, and bicep curls.

as long as you put in work, you’ll see results
Reverse fly??

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010

I do bench, incline bench, shoulder press, dips, machine work with
It's more about doing something different, since I've had the same routine for a while now. I feel a bit of variation at this point would be beneficial.

What I do now is:
Legs: Squat, plate loaded linear leg press, plate loaded calf raise machine, hip ad/abduction machine (max weight on the machine of course), hip thrusts
Chest + triceps: Dumbbell bench, (sometimes) incline bench, cable pec fly machine, tricep pushdown, dips, cable decline bench as a finisher
Shoulders: Dumbell overhead press, front and lateral raises, face pull, cable reverse fly, shrugs

Abs twice a week, occasionally throw in front squats on a random Friday because the gym is almost empty.

- - - Updated - - -

Reverse fly??
Yep, that’s it

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007

What I do now is:

- - - Updated - - -

Reverse fly??
Too complicated for me :p

Mine's like this

Day 1:
Squats - 8x8
Pull-ups - 8 sets of as many reps possible, done in 3 segments (before and after each exercise)
Calf raises - 5x15

Day 2:
Deadlifts - 8x8
Incline bench press - 8x8

Day 3:
Squats - 8x8
Chin-ups - 8 sets of as many reps possible, done in 3 segments (before and after each exercise)
Calf raises - 5x15

Day 4:
Deadlifts - 8x8
Bent-over barbell rows - 8x8

Yes, it's mostly focused on legs and back :D

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011

Mine's like this

Day 1:
Squats - 8x8
Pull-ups - 8 sets of as many reps possible, done in 3 segments (before and after each exercise)
Calf raises - 5x15

Day 2:
Deadlifts - 8x8

Day 3:
Squats - 8x8
Chin-ups - 8 sets of as many reps possible, done in 3 segments (before and after each exercise)
Calf raises - 5x15

Day 4:
Deadlifts - 8x8

Squatting and deadlifting one day between each other would kill me :p

some shocking lack of OHP in these routines detected. I refuse to share tuz with a bunch of T-Rexes
That's what shoulder day is for :stuckup:

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
@Quetzalcoatl this is the routine i told you about

- Rotation 1

Legs (Hamstring Focused)
Lying Hamstring Curls (Set hips down & keep them driven into the pad whilst performing the movement)
Set 1 – 12-15
Set 2 – Max, Rest, Max

Hack squat
Set 1 - 5-7
Set 2 - 10-12
Set 3 – triple drop set, pick 3 different weights do 10 reps on each weight

High and wide foot placement leg press (Advanced trainiers – Please use resistance bands, please vary between red bands & blue bands to make the movement)
Set 1 – 12-15
Set 2 - 6x4
Set 3 – Max, Rest, Max, Rest, Max

DB or Barbell RDL (Advanced trainiers – Add a red band to load through hip extension at the top of the movement, please focus on the contraction of the hamstrings, please squeeze glutes at the the top of the movement, also focus on keeping the bar as close to the body as possible whilst performing this movement)
Set 1 – (Heavy) - 8-10 – Set 1
Set 2 – (Reduce weight focus on time under tension (2 seconds down, 1 up) - 10-12

Single leg lying hamstring Curl (Set hips down, keep glutes firmly on the pad & control the load throughout the whole movement)
Set 1 – 8-10
Set 2 – Max, Rest, Max, Rest, Max

Leg Ext – (Advanced trainer’s - please add red band for greater resistance, Also lock hips down into the pad & focus on the the concentric and eccentric control of the movement)
Set 1 – 30 Rep Set
Set 2 - 6x4

2 sets walking lunges with weights till failure

Hip Abductor
Set 1 - 12-15
Set 2 - 12-15

Push – Duration
Flat Bench Or DB Press or Flat lying down plate press (Alternate Weekly)
Set 1 - 5-7 (Heavy set)
Set 2 – 10-12+ (Back Off/deload set)
Set 3 (10 perfect negative reps, 2 seconds down)

Incline smith bench or Incline plate load press or DB Press
Set 1 - 6-8 (Heavy set)
Set 2 - 8-12 (Back off set)
Set 3 – Reduce load to weight 35% of max -

Incline pec dec or wrist cuffed incline pec ped or cable pec dec
Set 1 - 6x4 (Muscle round)
Set 2 - 12+ DS, Fail

Weighted press ups (Don’t be afraide to load up lets build them triceps and get ridiculously strong at pressing)
8-10 – ser 1
12-15 – set 2

Pec Dec flys - Banded

Smith Or Barbell Shoulder Press
Set 1 - 6-10
Set 2 – 8, Ds, 8, DS, 8

DB Side delt raises
Set 1 – Max (Failure set/Max effort)
Set 2 – Max, rest, Max (Rest, pause set)

Cuffed Side Raises
Set 1 – Max, Rest, Max

Seated Side Raise SS Plate Front Raise
Failure – Set 1

Weighted Dips
Set 1 - 8-10
Set 2 - 8-10, DS, Fail

Close Grip Bench
Set 1 - 8-10
Set 2 - 12-15

Pull (Width)
Lat pull downs wide bar (traditional bar, mag bar if your gym has one)
Set 1 - 8-10 (Heavy set)
Set 2 - Max, rest, Max (Rest, pause set)
Set 3 – (all out) 30 reps (Pump set)

seated low wid row (either use the v bar or wide lat Pull down bar)
Set 1 - 6x4 (Muscle Round)
Set 2 - 6x4 (Muscle Round)

lat pull downs wide bar
set 1 - 20 reps (Pump set)
set 2 - 8-10 (Heavy set)

T-bar row (Wide grip it possible, if not with a v-bar)
Set 1 - 6-8 (Heavy Set)
Set 2 - 6-8, drop Set, 6-8 (Drop set)

DB rows
set 1 - 6-8 (Heavy set)
Set 2 - 8-10 (Back off/deload set)

Smith barbell row
Set 1 - 8-10
Set 2 - 10x (pause reps at the point of contraction)
Set 3 – Max, drop Set into as many reps as possibe

Seated incline hammer curls
Set 1 - 6x4 (Muscle Round)
Set 2 - Failure set (Maximum effort set)

EZ curls ss bicep curl machine
Set 1 & 2 - 10-12 Reps on each station.

Calve Raises
Set 1 – 50 reps
Set 2 – 30 reps, rest, 20 reps

- Rotation 2

Legs (Quad focused)
Leg Ext (Advanced trainer’s - please add red band for greater resistance, Also lock hips down into the pad & focus on the the concentric and eccentric control of the movement)
Set 1 – 30 Reps
Set 2 – 12-15 (3 Partials)
Set 3 - 12-15 (3 Partials)

A squat variation (i.e Barbell squat, Smith Squat or, V – squat, ect)
Set 1 – 5-9 (Heavy set)
Set 2 – 10-12
Set 3 – 12+, Ds, 6-8

Leg Ext SS Lunges (Keep momentum when performing lunges, allow no stops or pauses, lets overload these quads)
Set 1 - 6x4 on leg ext, straight into only 8 each leg body weight lunges
Set 2 - Max, Rest, Max – Into 8 Bodyweight Lunges

Close leg press - (Select a load where you can perform the reps without any pauses in set 1, set 2, & set 3 & in further sets allow 1 pause with a 10 second rest to reset)
Set 1 - x20 (Heavy)
Set 2 - x30 (Back off for max, rest, max)

Pendulum squat (if the gym has no pendulum squat please perfrom a heavy DB squat)
Set 1 – 10-12, rest, squeeze out some reps when fatigued

Weighted Sissy Squat (3’s eccentrics, down into the squat position and 3’s concentric)
Set 1 – 10-12, rest for 10 seconds then go again till failure

Hip Adductor
Set 1 - 6x4
Set 2 – 15, DS, 15

Post workout - Quad stretch (sit on quads) x2 (for 30 seconds)

Push
Incline DB press
Set 1 - 6-8
Set 2 – 12+

Seated weight plate press (either flat or incline based)
Set 1 - 6-8
Set 2 – 12+

Seated cable pec fly
Set 1 – 10-12
Set 2 – Max, Rest, Max

Select stack chest press
Set 1 – 10-12
Ser 2 – 12-15

Plate loaded shoulder press or Smith or standing viking press
Set 1 - 6-9
Set 2 – 8, DS, 8, DS, 8

Standing side rasie
Set 1 – 30 reps

Seated side raise
Set 1 - 6x4 (Muscle Round, perform 6 reps, rest for 10 seconds then repeat 4 times
Standing or seated cuffed side raise
Set 1 – Max, rest, Max, rest, Max (aim 10-12 in round 1, rest, aim for 8-10, then rest, then aim till failure)

DB Dual front Raise SS Plate Raise
Set 1 – Fail

V-bar push down
Set 1 - 6x4
Set 2 – Max, rest, Max

Dual Rope ect
Set 1 – 6x4
Set 2 – 15 reps, 10 seconds rest, 15 reps, 10 seconds rest, fail

Back (Thickness)
Dy row or Low cow using V-Bar (Focus on driving the elobows into the hip region and really contracting the muscle)
Set 1 - 8-10 (Heavy set)
Set 2 - 8-10, Dropset, then 8-10 (reduce the load, then perform another 8-10 reps)

Barbell Bent Over Row (Overhand or underhand grip, please go with preferred grip)
Set 1 - 6-8
Set 2 – 12+

Lat Pull Downs
Set 1 - 8-10
Set 2 – 12+, DS, 10+, DS, 8+

V-Bar Cable Low Row
Set 1 - 6x4
Set 2 – Max, rest, max

Plate Load UG Pull Down
Max, Rest, Max – Set 1
Max, DS, Max – Set 2

Giant set – EZ barbell row/ Undergrip seated low row/Rear delt fly
Rear delt variation (either bent over with DB/Pec Dec/cables) - 10-12 reps x 2 rounds

Lying hamstring curl
6x4 – set 1
12 (negatives) – Set 2

EZ curls
Set 1 - 6x4
Set 2 - 10-12

Rope Curls
Set 2 – failure

Standing calve raises
Set 1 – 20 reps, 10 rest, 15 reps, 10 rest, 10 reps
Set 2 – as many reps as possible

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

Mine's like this

Day 1:
Squats - 8x8
Calf raises - 5x15

Day 2:
Deadlifts - 8x8

Day 3:
Squats - 8x8
Calf raises - 5x15

Day 4:
Deadlifts - 8x8

:tup:

Compound lifts are king. Occasionally, if a specific area is lagging behind (strength, size, definition/ whatever the focus) some isolation can be added to get it caught up, but on the whole the big compound lifts and some bodyweight exercises are where it’s at.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)