Gym and fitness (7 Viewers)

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
With some fasting on top of that.
But our ancestors who fasted only lived till 20 even with perfect sanitary conditions, healthcare, shelter, weather, no other predators, and not incomparable stress levels. And even though we became the most able and thriving species on planet by far and reduced our gut size to better fuel our brain by eating this diet and fasting.

Btw, even better than fasting is being on 30% caloric deficit. One of the few things we know that increases longevity. Fasting makes that easier ofc.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
But our ancestors who fasted only lived till 20 even with perfect sanitary conditions, healthcare, shelter, weather, no other predators, and not incomparable stress levels. And even though we became the most able and thriving species on planet by far and reduced our gut size to better fuel our brain by eating this diet and fasting.

Btw, even better than fasting is being on 30% caloric deficit. One of the few things we know that increases longevity. Fasting makes that easier ofc.
but do you think that goat yoga is a suitable 21st century substitute for all the calories burned from good old fashion animal wrastling?

Last edited:

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
but do you think that goat yoga is a suitable 21st century substitute for all the calories burned from good old fashion animal wrastling?
Yoga as a whole is thousands of years old, not 50. And even though you could get some exercise out of it, it's not a replacement for walking, running, lifting, climbing. Early humans did the twisting & turning in yoga. Their "exercises" weren't static.

As for the mental aspect, meditation or simply sitting idle and breathing slows down brain aging and activates telomerase. That's what early humans did when they were idle. They didn't have smartphones.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Yoga as a whole is thousands of years old, not 50. And even though you could get some exercise out of it, it's not a replacement for walking, running, lifting, climbing. Early humans did the twisting & turning in yoga. Their "exercises" weren't static.

As for the mental aspect, meditation or simply sitting idle and breathing slows down brain aging and actives telomerase. That's what early humans did when they were idle. They didn't have smartphones.
Interesting. i hadnt seen this Marriane Williamson tweet yet.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
This whole being alive the longest is both funny and sad, go live ffs
To each their own, but it's better to live well (in terms of how you feel and long-term, not in short fleeting moments and eating bags of chips, which is what sounds sas to me) and age gracefully when time comes.

Your body is forgiving to an extent and you can "go live" in moderation. But if it's a daily thing and you're not a college student, one likely has more issues than just diet.

- - - Updated - - -

Just IMO and no one is trying to convert here. Just a discussion on diet.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
To each their own, but it's better to live well (in terms of how you feel and long-term, not in short fleeting moments and eating bags of chips, which is what sounds sas to me) and age gracefully when time comes.

Your body is forgiving to an extent and you can "go live" in moderation. But if it's a daily thing and you're not a college student, one likely has more issues than just diet.

- - - Updated - - -

Just IMO and no one is trying to convert here. Just a discussion on diet.
There is a huge distinction between living healthy to enjoy your life to the maximum and to extend it to the maximum, i keep my eye on the prize, i don't need to be around if I'm not doing things i like

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
There is a huge distinction between living healthy to enjoy your life to the maximum and to extend it to the maximum, i keep my eye on the prize, i don't need to be around if I'm not doing things i like
Define or quantify living healthy. If you monitor what you eat x% of the time anyway, why not just make sure what you're consuming then is indeed healthy or try and optimize the health benefits without sacrificing taste? (Healthy eating doesn't have to not taste good under any stretch of the imagination unless you completely ruined your taste buds with sugar and salt.) I don't see the huge diff between swapping grain fed ground beef with grass fed taste and "living" wise.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Define or quantify living healthy. If you monitor what you eat x% of the time anyway, why not just make sure what you're consuming then is indeed healthy or try and optimize the health benefits without sacrificing taste? (Healthy eating doesn't have to not taste good under any stretch of the imagination unless you completely ruined your taste buds with sugar and salt.) I don't see the huge diff between swapping grain fed ground beef with grass fed taste and "living" wise.
Living healthy: taking care of your body, performing to the best of your potential

Jun 6, 2015
Everything doesn't need to be optimized. Don't get me wrong eating healthy and exercising regularly are good things. However trying to find some absolute best way of eating and exercising is unnecessary. There are many different ways to eat healthy and there are many different ways of exercising to stay healthy. Eating the healthy foods that you like while staying active doing the sports you like is as complex as it needs to be.

Last edited:

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Yeah, a varied whole foods, natural diet where you basically eat everything in moderation seems to be the healthiest.

Natural not as in the label which means nothing (at least in the US), but wild caught fish, wild game, grass-finished beef, etc. Might apply to some GMOs and grains too. Things our ancestors ate for millions of years.
People weren’t meant to eat grains, it’s something we started to do recently in the grand scheme of things.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
People weren’t meant to eat grains, it’s something we started to do recently in the grand scheme of things.
Read somewhere that they ate some wild grains. But hybridized grain cultivation began 10k(?) yrs ago. And more recently you have Monsanto wheat that we hardly ferment when making bread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)