Gym and fitness (21 Viewers)

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
I do it cause i like strength, and do powerlifting. Thats a strengthsport in wich you do 3attempts on squat, pauzed benchpress and deadlift, the best attempt adds to the total, wich gets compared with bodyweight to give points.

Stronger legs improve all 3 lifts i do.
I only do Squats at the moment, add 2.5 kgs a week and at 57.5 kgs doing 5 sets of 5 reps. I find positioning the barbell really hard. I do some floor exercises and body weight lunges/squats and use resistance machines.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I only do Squats at the moment, add 2.5 kgs a week and at 57.5 kgs doing 5 sets of 5 reps. I find positioning the barbell really hard. I do some floor exercises and body weight lunges/squats and use resistance machines.
Thats allready far more time and efford then most people in the gym spend on their legs :tup: .

If by positionning you mean where to exactly put the bar on the back, its a simpel gravity thing. regardless of your strength, untill 70/80 kg the bar isnt pushing down hard enough on your body, and it becomes an unstable affair, and a search for where it should be placed exactly.

For this reason, dont use the tampon cussion or a towel. Only the iron itself. It hurts a bit at first, but its much safer and preciser.

This is where you should aim at. HIGH BAR ONLY.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Thats allready far more time and efford then most people in the gym spend on their legs :tup: .

If by positionning you mean where to exactly put the bar on the back, its a simpel gravity thing. regardless of your strength, untill 70/80 kg the bar isnt pushing down hard enough on your body, and it becomes an unstable affair, and a search for where it should be placed exactly.

For this reason, dont use the tampon cussion or a towel. Only the iron itself. It hurts a bit at first, but its much safer and preciser.

This is where you should aim at. HIGH BAR ONLY.

:tup:, thanks man. To me its makes no sense to not work the legs, especially given then cardio work I do. during the week I do:

Sun - Abs
Mon - Chest/Shoulders
Tues - Back
Wed - Chest
Thurs - Back
Fri - Legs and Shoulders

With the position: I currently use the free bar, but next week i go to 60 kgs so i was thinking of moving to the assist bar until get the position right but if you recon it won't matter until 70/80 i'll give it another 6 weeks to get the position right before i swap to the assist if i'm not safe.

From the image above i seem to be getting it nearer the low position, when i was shown how to use it the trainer was worrying that i was putting the bar on my neck and not my traps. I'll have to practice aiming higher.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Yeah, its best to put that bar high, and start with highbar squats. Less stress on the central nerve system and more focus on the leg muscles.

Low bar squat and deadlifting is stuff for when you are pulling considerable weights and have strength only in mind. Its just not worth it if strength isnt your prime focus. There are plenty of excercise that give good leg and back muscles, without the injury possibilities.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing tho. If you arent using an actual olympic barbell, you are probably gripping the bar very narrow. Now that makes it much harder on its own.

Narrow is better cause more rigid, but you need to First find a good place for the bar when holding it wide, then narrow your hands inside as much as you can without giving up the position of the bar on the neck.

Looking at the picture, i first had my hands outside the little rings on the side , currently i'm 1 cm inwards of the little rings, but with same position of the bar

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Its handy, isnt it :D

Only downside is when you visit a gym that has cheap ass bars. For squatting and deadlifting its okay'ish cause you can sortha feel where you should put them if you have done many of them

On benchpress its a disaster cause 2cm to wide or narrow completely screws your form

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Its handy, isnt it :D

Only downside is when you visit a gym that has cheap ass bars. For squatting and deadlifting its okay'ish cause you can sortha feel where you should put them if you have done many of them

On benchpress its a disaster cause 2cm to wide or narrow completely screws your form
Aye, I find it so much easier knowing exactly where to put my hands.

Are bench presses hard? (in terms of safety and technique) I've never tried one. We have a chest press resistance machine and i'm at a 75 kg press on that, i do 80 kgs on the 'fly' machine too.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
In the beginning, its difficult to keep the bar stable cause you dont have the position motory skills and muscles.

But that improves very very quickly

Benchpress is vastly superior to any machine chest related excercise

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009

I pulled my fucking right trap doing lat pull ups at the start of my workout today, screwed my whole time in the gym and now i feel really uncomfortable :( Can't do squats tomorrow now too! at least its at the end of the week I guess but it sucks balls!

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I had that once when i was doing lats back in days before i powerlifted. Some hot piece of fine ass passed by while i was doing lat pulls.

Apply the hot and cold threatment, it speeds up the recovery, but it should be back in order soon.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
I had that once when i was doing lats back in days before i powerlifted. Some hot piece of fine ass passed by while i was doing lat pulls.

Apply the hot and cold threatment, it speeds up the recovery, but it should be back in order soon.
Zach, do you ever precum when you lift heavy weights? Heard it's a thing.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009

Sounds similar to how I did mine but change 'hot piece of ass' for 'guy from work i've ignored for two years turning up for his induction'. Using hi-rice and deep heat lotion on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)