Gym and fitness (14 Viewers)

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
Supplements (legal) are 5% of the work at most.

Sadly people think it's 80%.
Actually I have to disagree, supps are not magic potions, but they make more than 5%. I've tried many supps and I've seen the difference, however I have to agree with majority here and say that people expect too much from them. They are called supplements for reason, without proper diet and exercise they are useless.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Actually I have to disagree, supps are not magic potions, but they make more than 5%. I've tried many supps and I've seen the difference, however I have to agree with majority here and say that people expect too much from them. They are called supplements for reason, without proper diet and exercise they are useless.
My understanding is that protein feeds muscle growth after muscles are torn through activity, so regardless protein is a major part of this whole deal, its just that protein by itself doesn't grow muscle mass. I don't perceive protein is doing the work for me, it just concludes the work i'm doing.

The question for me is whether taking a protein supplement does anything to support this process on top of dietary protein, or if the protein supplement industry is standard nutritionist quackery. I currently can't find any trial data to support protein supplements, but I am interested in your anecdotal evidence or if you know of trials that demonstrate their efficacy.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Just drink diet coke as much as you can around and you'll be fine. We've discussed and analysed all these before and came to the conclusion that around 10 to 12 liters of diet coke is everythiong you need during your daily consumption of calories.
Jack, no trolling in this thread or i will have mods who are better then you, remove you from this thread.

I joined a gym yesterday :weee:, i've been working out by myself for about 8 months and felt that it was the right time to move across to somewhere with the eqpt to move me to the next level.

How do you guys feel about protein supplements? I've looked up trial data and none of the companies that sell them in the UK provide any, and the few placebo control trials that are about show no difference. I asked the guy at the gym who did my induction/plan and he said he takes and see's no difference but still takes them. I don't follow that logic, what do you guys think? I have protein in my diet already.
Protein arent supplements. They are nutrition, thats an important difference.

If you train, its important to eat right and balanced. But you need a good protein intake. For the first while you shouldnt bother about adding extra protein. Just try to eat meat at least once per day.

Protein shakes, are simply a way to easely increase your protein intake. I am at 300-320 grams of protein per day. That is quality protein, so only protein comming from meat or whey. I'm not going to eat 2kg of meat to achieve this, so i eat 500grams of chicken devided in two meals, and several shakes instead.

Protein itself wont make you build muscle. working out and creating microtrauma does. but shakes simply increase your intake.

The only actual "supplements" you could consider is Omega 3/ fish oil, or vitamins. Dont bother with the rest

Supplements (legal) are 5% of the work at most.

Sadly people think it's 80%.
this is a pretty accurate statement. If we can agree protein shakes are food and not supplements :D

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Yeah, agreed. When I said legal I meant exactly that, maybe I didn't express myself well enough.
wow maybe i shud learn to read. damn :D

- - - Updated - - -

I joined a gym yesterday :weee:, i've been working out by myself for about 8 months and felt that it was the right time to move across to somewhere with the eqpt to move me to the next level.

How do you guys feel about protein supplements? I've looked up trial data and none of the companies that sell them in the UK provide any, and the few placebo control trials that are about show no difference. I asked the guy at the gym who did my induction/plan and he said he takes and see's no difference but still takes them. I don't follow that logic, what do you guys think? I have protein in my diet already.
Get around 2 grams of protein for every kilo bodyweight and you'll be fine. Protein is important when building muscle but just as important to retain muscle. People who eat more than the 2 grams/kg are bro's who either do roids and/or believe in bro-science.

And you don't take protein, you eat it :)

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
wow maybe i shud learn to read. damn :D

- - - Updated - - -

Get around 2 grams of protein for every kilo bodyweight and you'll be fine. Protein is important when building muscle but just as important to retain muscle. People who eat more than the 2 grams/kg are bro's who either do roids and/or believe in bro-science.

And you don't take protein, you eat it :)
Yeah, every competitive bodybuilder or strenght athlete in olympic lifting and powerliftig is a bro :rofl:
Keep your smartass opinion on something you dont know to yourself, or state it without the insult.
2grams/kg is a general guideline, from the point you arent making linear progress anymore.

but advanced athletes need to go beyond that when building or sustaining muscle on extremely demanding training routines

- - - Updated - - -

... I was out and it's very hot. I'm still dazed :D
excellent day for low rep deadlifting tbh

34°C and under 20% humidity

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Not if your supplements are 'roids and all that juice. Then it's close to 100%
That is offcourse massive bullshit. Please stop making statements as if they were facts from something you obviously know barely anything about.

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't it ironic. Don't you think.
Its not ironic. You dont know much but spread faulty information..

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
My understanding is that protein feeds muscle growth after muscles are torn through activity, so regardless protein is a major part of this whole deal, its just that protein by itself doesn't grow muscle mass. I don't perceive protein is doing the work for me, it just concludes the work i'm doing.

The question for me is whether taking a protein supplement does anything to support this process on top of dietary protein, or if the protein supplement industry is standard nutritionist quackery. I currently can't find any trial data to support protein supplements, but I am interested in your anecdotal evidence or if you know of trials that demonstrate their efficacy.
The main reason I take protein is because i don't always have time to cook something.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
The main reason I take protein shakes is because i don't always have time to cook something.
Thats exactly why they exist !

You can eat all your protein with various kinds of meat, but they disgest slowly*. But if you want to spread around your protein intake, or dont have the time to cook, its just so easy to get that shake.

Next weak i'm on holyday, and thanks to the protein powder and milk, i dont need to worry about spending to much on meat in restaurants. I'll just eat something with a good price/quality ratio, and drink a shake afterwards.

*meat digesting slowly doesnt mean its bad. Its actually good around the day, but before and after training, you preferable get something liquid as its digested faster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)