Gym and fitness (17 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Right now I squat and deadlift 70kg 4 sets 8-10 reps (18 yo, umad) but my bench sucks balls. I've been on 40kg for months and I always struggle with it, and I know it's not my form that's the problem, so what do I do?
As for getting some strength I guess working on your triceps might help increase some weight.

If you're willing to change everything, doing 5x5 (strength training, we talked about it many times) will get you impressive results.

But either way, patience is the key, especially for bench imo.

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
Started some circuit training today, to both boost my fitness and core strength, feel wrecked now so I guess that was a good workout :D

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
First training on the Irish kickboxing squad tomorrow and I busted my foot, gutted just going to have to suck it up but i'm going to give a poor showing of myself :'(

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
One thing Ive noticed almost instantaneously since changing my workout regime, is that less exercises but with more sets/reps is definitely the way to go. It's been awhile since I've felt that good muscle tear feeling the day after a workout. Up until recently I was focusing four days a week to working triceps, biceps, chest and shoulders (back incorporated) with about 5-7 exercises for each muscle group. For example

Monday - Legs & Core
Tuesday - Triceps & Chest 6 different exercises, 3 sets and approx 10-15 reps for each exercise
Wednesday - Biceps & Shoulders (same as above)
Thursday- Rest
Friday - Triceps n Chest
Saturday - Biceps n Shoulders
Sunday - Rest (and hangover :D)
While this routine has made obvious differences to my strength and appearance, I had definitely plateaued, despite increasing weights at regular intervals.

Starting this week, I've changed my regime so that it's much more intensive.

Monday is still legs, but for the upper body workouts I now just concentrate on 4-5 exercises per muscle group with minimum 4 sets on each. So now I just dedicate one day to biceps/shoulders and the same for triceps/chest. The forth day is dedicated to cardio & core.

I'm hurting more now after this first week then I have in some time, but it's that good pain so it's all worth it.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Zach I have one question for you, pre workout supplement (Jack3d) or glutamine (Muscle pharm)?
Assault (Muscle Pharm)

Hands down the best product on the market.

Competition markets their preworkout as if it was dianabol, and uses a shitload of cafeine, with 1.3 dma or equivalent.
Assault uses the right dosages of creatine,beta alanine,taurine,tyrosine,citruline malate, and 6 grams of bcaa's, with a good enough cafeine dose.

best of all, Assault costs you 30 euro's for one container. Wich is nearly what you'd pay for the same weight in bcaa's alone.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
benchpress, a few remarks.

"inner pressure". Use your legs right. If you are not tot all, arch them back under the bench, and try to tension up before unracking. its tough to explain, basically, you must feel like you would lift you ass of the bench if you tentionise fully.
If you are to tall for that (like me) you can stretch the legs, and push your shoulders in the bench,with your heels (sounds strange, i know)

push your shoulders togheter.

arch your back as much as possiblebefore unracking.

when unracking, use only your lats to move the bar.

NOW, the most important

When lowering the bar, try to bent it, by trying to push your little finger towards each other. by doing this, you will push your ellbows togheter. lower untill chest.
when trying to move back up, keep the ellbows like that for 5 centimeter, then instead of trying to "bend the bar", try to pull the bar apart. your ellbows will now go to regular position a bit more.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Flat or incline?
benchpress, a few remarks.

"inner pressure". Use your legs right. If you are not tot all, arch them back under the bench, and try to tension up before unracking. its tough to explain, basically, you must feel like you would lift you ass of the bench if you tentionise fully.
If you are to tall for that (like me) you can stretch the legs, and push your shoulders in the bench,with your heels (sounds strange, i know)

push your shoulders togheter.

arch your back as much as possiblebefore unracking.

when unracking, use only your lats to move the bar.

NOW, the most important

When lowering the bar, try to bent it, by trying to push your little finger towards each other. by doing this, you will push your ellbows togheter. lower untill chest.
when trying to move back up, keep the ellbows like that for 5 centimeter, then instead of trying to "bend the bar", try to pull the bar apart. your ellbows will now go to regular position a bit more.
Jeez, that's complicated :D But I'll try to take all that in. Thanks.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
One thing Ive noticed almost instantaneously since changing my workout regime, is that less exercises but with more sets/reps is definitely the way to go. It's been awhile since I've felt that good muscle tear feeling the day after a workout. Up until recently I was focusing four days a week to working triceps, biceps, chest and shoulders (back incorporated) with about 5-7 exercises for each muscle group. For example

Monday - Legs & Core
Tuesday - Triceps & Chest 6 different exercises, 3 sets and approx 10-15 reps for each exercise
Thursday- Rest
Friday - Triceps n Chest
While this routine has made obvious differences to my strength and appearance, I had definitely plateaued, despite increasing weights at regular intervals.

Monday is still legs, but for the upper body workouts I now just concentrate on 4-5 exercises per muscle group with minimum 4 sets on each. So now I just dedicate one day to biceps/shoulders and the same for triceps/chest. The forth day is dedicated to cardio & core.

I'm hurting more now after this first week then I have in some time, but it's that good pain so it's all worth it.
I'm going towards the same amount of exercises but progressive overload. Increase weights one day, then increase the reps, and so on. :D

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009

Monday - Legs & Core
Thursday- Rest
Friday - Triceps n Chest

Indeed. :tup:

It's Sunday and I'm on my way for a back and shoulders workout. :weee:

That's strange. I used to feel it on my shoulders when I did incline because I used a small angle on the bench.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
You are supposed to start your first set on a lower weight with a lot of reps and then move up in weight but with less reps, right? That's what I've always been told, but my brother said he does the opposite, which seems to be working for him. I personally do the former, but curious as to what you guys think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)