Gym and fitness (40 Viewers)

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
I normally do 4 sets of an exercise, I start relatively low on the first one, then the next two I do a good weight, and the final set I do it at my maximum.

I.e. If my maximum bench press is 60kg, I do my first set at 45, 2 & 3 at 55, and final set at 60, then over the weeks as my strength/stamina increase, i increase weight.

No idea if this is what you are supposed to do though, so probably best to wait for Zach to tell you

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
You should do (depending on your weight) 3-4 sets of your warmup. So if you bench press like 80kg then you do warm up with 35 (8 reps), 50 (3 reps), 65 (3 reps), 75 (2-3 reps).

After you're done with that you're moving on your working sets. 4 sets of 80kg (8-12reps)

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
You should do (depending on your weight) 3-4 sets of your warmup. So if you bench press like 80kg then you do warm up with 35 (8 reps), 50 (3 reps), 65 (3 reps), 75 (2-3 reps).

After you're done with that you're moving on your working sets. 4 sets of 80kg (8-12reps)
Wow that's a lot more than I thought. Definitely have to step it up then. Sounds like I'll be spending all day in the gym though.
I normally do 4 sets of an exercise, I start relatively low on the first one, then the next two I do a good weight, and the final set I do it at my maximum.

I.e. If my maximum bench press is 60kg, I do my first set at 45, 2 & 3 at 55, and final set at 60, then over the weeks as my strength/stamina increase, i increase weight.

No idea if this is what you are supposed to do though, so probably best to wait for Zach to tell you
That is pretty much what I do, except I also do a 5th set where I drop my weight down to slightly below what I started at (maybe 35 in your example) to do as many as possible with good form.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Now that I'm 4 weeks into my schedule a weird symptom is kicking in. Now the thing bothering me isn't so much to get my ass off the couch to work out, it's staying put during the days where I'm supposed to rest. Restless and brimming with energy today, same thing 5 days ago.

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
You'll tire out soon enough, trust me. It takes a while before you realise the importance of rest days, I was like you for the first month or so, completely overdoing it. Its quite easy to burn yourself out by workin out too much.

AOD4

Nov 24, 2004
Assault (Muscle Pharm)

Hands down the best product on the market.

Competition markets their preworkout as if it was dianabol, and uses a $#@!load of cafeine, with 1.3 dma or equivalent.
Assault uses the right dosages of creatine,beta alanine,taurine,tyrosine,citruline malate, and 6 grams of bcaa's, with a good enough cafeine dose.

best of all, Assault costs you 30 euro's for one container. Wich is nearly what you'd pay for the same weight in bcaa's alone.
Just wondering, do you add more creatine mono to your post workout shake? I plan to get Assault as my pre wo, but thinking how to supplement my post workout shake with creatine mono.

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
If anyone has the time, could they possibly share a good bicep workout routine? At the moment I'm just stuck doing regular curls, hammer curls, barbell curls and then twenty ones as a finisher. Just not noticing much growth in my arms in general.

@Zacheryah @Dule90 @X

Need something more intensive maybe?

Thanks in advance

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
If anyone has the time, could they possibly share a good bicep workout routine? At the moment I'm just stuck doing regular curls, hammer curls, barbell curls and then twenty ones as a finisher. Just not noticing much growth in my arms in general.

@Zacheryah @Dule90 @X

Thanks in advance
Biceps is a horrible muscle and it grows too slowly. You won't notice a huge change.

Like I said before, if you want your arm to get bigger you just gotta focus triceps because it's what gives you the size.

Here's one more tip: too much curls (and you're doing it) will make your forearm hurt a lot. It's not the muscle, you're gonna feel serious pain in the bone area. All beginners to do that. Hell, I did it too. They are called curl monkeys.

You should know that you're putting stress on your biceps even when you're doing back exercises. When I was doing 5x5 I didn't have any single arm workout, yet my arms got bigger. Don't pay much attention on it, I'd recommend you to do less curling and focus on triceps that will help you develop strength for bench press and shoulders too. I personally think biceps is the most annoying muscle and unless you have good genetics for it, don't expect it to be huge.

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
Exactly what I needed to hear. I was feeling some pain in my forearms doing preacher curls so I guess I have a reason for that now. To be honest I actually prefer doing triceps and shoulders so this is music to my ears.

Nice one chief, legs tomorrow though *yawn* :p

Joking, I'm actually starting to enjoy doing legs now, besides, don't want to end up like this prick

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I'm not a huge fan of leg day. When I do 8+ reps my heart starts beating like there are 20 lions behind my ass. I feel dizzy and shit.

But yeah, skipping legs is a horrible option for sure.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I'm not a huge fan of leg day. When I do 8+ reps my heart starts beating like there are 20 lions behind my ass. I feel dizzy and shit.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

@Zacheryah @Dule90 @X

Thanks in advance
thats way too many exercises for biceps in one sitting, do 2 exercises twice or 3 times a week, dont go too heavy as it is a small muscle and form is more important for smaller muscles, you probably already have big biceps and are just lacking definition.

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
Two exercises twice eh? Never thought of that, probably a much better idea though, if I alternate between a few different types each time I concentrate on a muscle group there'll be less chance of hitting a plateau I guess?

I can only go by what I see myself, and to me my biceps look small in proportion to the rest of my upper body. I've got quite a large chest which makes my arms look thinner possibly.

- - - Updated - - -

I tend to leave weighted lunges to the end of my leg workout and it's so hard to keep balance at that point. Probably better for the core though, if you're trying to keep your equilibrium while maintaining good form with an exercise that tends to be a little awkward (the actual movement itself I mean).

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
best way to grow a muscle is to keep hitting it every 3 days, and since biceps are small you can include them you other routines with ease, like do em with back, legs and chest for example, but do it right make sure you are working the muscle

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Just wondering, do you add more creatine mono to your post workout shake? I plan to get Assault as my pre wo, but thinking how to supplement my post workout shake with creatine mono.
Biceps is a horrible muscle and it grows too slowly. You won't notice a huge change.

Like I said before, if you want your arm to get bigger you just gotta focus triceps because it's what gives you the size.

Here's one more tip: too much curls (and you're doing it) will make your forearm hurt a lot. It's not the muscle, you're gonna feel serious pain in the bone area. All beginners to do that. Hell, I did it too. They are called curl monkeys.

You should know that you're putting stress on your biceps even when you're doing back exercises. When I was doing 5x5 I didn't have any single arm workout, yet my arms got bigger. Don't pay much attention on it, I'd recommend you to do less curling and focus on triceps that will help you develop strength for bench press and shoulders too. I personally think biceps is the most annoying muscle and unless you have good genetics for it, don't expect it to be huge.
I hate curls. I need to do them, but i fucking hate it. Always get pain in the tendons at the side of the forearm.

If you really want bigger biceps, without the need of them beeing neccecarely strong, do long excercises, and not to heavy weight, to avoid straining the tendons.

recommanding :

1)bicep curl 4*15, increasing weight, make sure form is right. If you are using shoulders or swings to gain momentum, the weight is to high

2) incline seated curl 4*15 , increasing weight. Bit tricky to explain so lets look at this vid.

- His arm movement. watch it, its perfect.
- However, the bench is nearly vertical3. because of that he can cheat and move his head and torso towards the dumbell
=> place the bench in a 60° angle, keep torso and head firmly in one place.
AND for the love of god, use very low weight. form is critical here.
When done right, this is the best bicep excercise there is.

3) one arm concentration curl

I cant find a good vid of the placement. Your ellbow point, should be between the kneecap and the quadriceps, there is a little spot you can let it rest on. for the movement itself, watch this guy

http://youtu.be/1IlHzlcf8mU?t=49s

4) preacher/scott curl 4*15

http://youtu.be/KHxpLCX6bwk?t=38s

You must do at least 3 of these. The first and last are mandatory. You can chose between concentration curl and incline curl.

DO note, whilst you can go relatively heavy on the first one, the other 3 excercise, are all about form and contraction. dont be that guy thats swinging or have a partner help him with the weight on each rep. No, start low weight, and good form. Good contraction for the biceps is the utmost important

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 37)