Gym and fitness (15 Viewers)

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
@TrezJuve

If it's been a "long time" as you said, you're probably back to square one. I would recommend a less specialized training programme. Do full body workouts 3 times a week with appropriate weights (what's appropriate differs from person to person, but you need to be able to do 8-12 reps x 3 with them, and it shouldn't be too easy. If it's too easy, add a bit more weight.)

Make sure you do compound movements that work several muscle groups at a time. After you've gone at it like that for a little while (depends on intensity and frequency), you can move into some more specialized programmes of your choice. The reason being: Your body can handle full body workouts pretty damn well when the weights aren't all that heavy. As the weights increase substantially, so does the risk of injuries, which creates a need for splitting up your routine.

Frequent the bodybuilding forums and places like that to get some great tips, and put together a program that works best for you. A personal tip from me would be to consider not only what other people deem the best, but rather something which motives you and makes you go to the gym. As long as you look out for yourself (injury prevention etc.), that's what's most important!

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Does anyone know? Sorry to be repetitive.
I think that's fine. I do even less and results are there.

Try to focus more on reps, do 8-12 and try not to ignore progressive overload (every day you go try to increase either weight or reps to ensure you're making gains).

- - - Updated - - -

@TrezJuve

If it's been a "long time" as you said, you're probably back to square one. I would recommend a less specialized training programme. Do full body workouts 3 times a week with appropriate weights (what's appropriate differs from person to person, but you need to be able to do 8-12 reps x 3 with them, and it shouldn't be too easy. If it's too easy, add a bit more weight.)

Make sure you do compound movements that work several muscle groups at a time. After you've gone at it like that for a little while (depends on intensity and frequency), you can move into some more specialized programmes of your choice. The reason being: Your body can handle full body workouts pretty damn well when the weights aren't all that heavy. As the weights increase substantially, so does the risk of injuries, which creates a need for splitting up your routine.

Frequent the bodybuilding forums and places like that to get some great tips, and put together a program that works best for you. A personal tip from me would be to consider not only what other people deem the best, but rather something which motives you and makes you go to the gym. As long as you look out for yourself (injury prevention etc.), that's what's most important!
Yeah Jem does have a point. I just don't think you can go wrong with your program as well, the only thing you should do is decrease weights to get used to it till you get your strength back.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
You should eat before, but how much depends on what you're doing. Though I rarely eat more than a couple pieces of fruit before a run.

- - - Updated - - -

You should also eat a little after to aid recovery.

TrezJuve

May 26, 2010
@TrezJuve

I think that's fine. I do even less and results are there.

Try to focus more on reps, do 8-12 and try not to ignore progressive overload (every day you go try to increase either weight or reps to ensure you're making gains).

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah Jem does have a point. I just don't think you can go wrong with your program as well, the only thing you should do is decrease weights to get used to it till you get your strength back.
Cheers, I get it is more risky to get into a specialized training right away. I'm really looking forward to get back to my program however, so Jem, if I follow what Dule said and decrease the weights would that be okay? I'd like to have a verdict.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
:p

Lift heavy, obviously, to gain muscle. But when I say strain I'm talking about injuries, basically. You don't wanna lift "out of your league" and pull an injury you'll never get rid of. Say TrezJuve was to get a lower back injury for instance. Chances are you'll carry that for the rest of your life, and that's gonna affect your gains negatively way more than being a bit more cautious.

Appropriate weights (heavy yes, but don't overdo it) and good form is very important.

- - - Updated - - -

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)