Gym and fitness (18 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
the problem with beer is that if you drink it in the evening, all the alcohol will be converted into fat.
Like it goes about food and carbs - I don't buy it.

What if you take a plane and go to a different time zone, how would you know if you can drink your beer and eat your carbs, because it's not 11PM but 6PM? Body is not a time machine. You can eat whenever you want, it just depends if you took your calories during the day or not. If you didn't, then your carbs won't make you fatter. It's just stupid.

Oh, and the biggest myth in fitness and diets is indeed that "you can burn fat in specific locations"
its indeed impossible, and you would be amazed at the percentage that believes it.[/QUOTE]

---------- Post added 12.07.2012 at 15:43 ----------

Thanks for response @Kate as well. I don't drink that much but do (did) enjoy a glass of wine every now and then. I usually don't drink that much and very, very seldomly drink enough to become drunk. It makes sense of what you're both saying and I think for the oncoming weeks until I've reached a certain level of fitness I'll try to limit the alcohol intake as well. Because honestly, 1h of gym for one beer really kills the spirit and the pleasure of the beer. :D But to follow up, right now I'm trying to cut down on the calories and so on and once I'm back in shape I'll continue to stay in shape and eat more healthier. But would you say that there would be any difference between now and then in intake of alcohol? Now I need to stay away from it because of the percentage of body fat but once it has decreased can I return to drinking during weekends but perhaps less (like in total 2-3 glass of wine/3-4 beers per week). Is it too much or is it reasonable? I don't want to deny myself but on the other hand I deny myself from grabbing random girls butts and boobs on a daily basis and feel OK with it. I guess I could be OK with that too.
Without any problems, that really won't affect your progress. Just keep a good diet and that workout schedule with cardio and you're good to go :tup:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Like it goes about food and carbs - I don't buy it.

What if you take a plane and go to a different time zone, how would you know if you can drink your beer and eat your carbs, because it's not 11PM but 6PM? Body is not a time machine. You can eat whenever you want, it just depends if you took your calories during the day or not. If you didn't, then your carbs won't make you fatter. It's just stupid.

Oh, and the biggest myth in fitness and diets is indeed that "you can burn fat in specific locations"
its indeed impossible, and you would be amazed at the percentage that believes it.

---------- Post added 12.07.2012 at 15:43 ----------

Without any problems, that really won't affect your progress. Just keep a good diet and that workout schedule with cardio and you're good to go :tup:[/QUOTE]

When the body breaks down suger, after a poly sugar (amylopectine) is broken down into glucose, it goes down the glycolysis pathway

at the end of the glycolisis, you have puryvate kinase

->bacteria can convert this by fermentation
->in aerobic conditions, humans body will put it into the citric acid cycle
->in anaerobic conditions, human body will convert it into lactate

Now, when the body takes up alcohol, it does the opposite of the third option, and ethanol is converted into lactate, that gets turned into pyruvate kinase to enter the citric acid cycle.

Now, during the day, this means the alcohol is treated as sugar, so it doesnt mind that you drink it, since you are awake, the metabolism will prefer to burn sugar all the way down to the oxydative fosforylation, since its the most energy in the shortest period of time.

When you sleep however, the body will not burn any sugar at all.
Everything the body has left of sugar , or intermediates in the glycolisis or citric acid cycle, will be converted into acetyl coenzyme A, this is one of the products in the citric acid cycle

acetyl coenzyme a, will enter the beta oxidation, and converted into fat.

you can only convert so much alcohol per time, all what has not been completely oxidated by the time you sleep will be turned into fat.

This was a question on my januari biochemistry exam, in the final year of professional bachelor biochemistry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)