Gym and fitness (12 Viewers)

Jan 3, 2010
And the genetic condition where my bones grew quicker than my muscles can be solved by this?
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it's a much more realistic approach than orthotics. How anyone could even think they could be the answer is beyond me. Think about the force that is coming down every single step with bad running form. The orthotics are not going to save you, the only thing you can do is reduce that force, which you will do by improving your form. Orthotics make your feet numb and unaware of just how hard you're coming down. They might even exacerbate the problem.

I'm no doctor or anything by the way, but I'm fascinated by this kind of thing and I do know how to look for the most recent and best research about the subject. There is just no evidence whatsoever that orthotics are going to help you.

Buy on AliExpress.com

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it's a much more realistic approach than orthotics. How anyone could even think they could be the answer is beyond me. Think about the force that is coming down every single step with bad running form. The orthotics are not going to save you, the only thing you can do is reduce that force, which you will do by improving your form. Orthotics make your feet numb and unaware of just how hard you're coming down. They might even exacerbate the problem.

I'm no doctor or anything by the way, but I'm fascinated by this kind of thing and I do know how to look for the most recent and best research about the subject. There is just no evidence whatsoever that orthotics are going to help you.
No offence, but I'm going to listen to my physiotherapist on this one, and give them a chance, beside they're already paid for, just have to do the 3D imaging on thursday.

Jan 3, 2010
No offence, but I'm going to listen to my physiotherapist on this one, and give them a chance, beside they're already paid for, just have to do the 3D imaging on thursday.
Sure. I'd do the same. But I know that for me (and a million others) it was not the right option. But a physiotherapist should obviously know what he's doing and he's not going to make you do anything that will make it worse.

Just a quick question: how is your genetic issue causing pronation?

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
It was Genetic overpronation, growth spurt at 16-17 went from 5'6" to 6'1" in a little over a year with most of the growth in my legs. The ligaments in my Knees and Calf muscles couldn't keep up with the bone gorwth and hence my legs went inwards to prevent the fibers from tearing.

Jan 3, 2010
It was Genetic overpronation, growth spurt at 16-17 went from 5'6" to 6'1" in a little over a year with most of the growth in my legs. The ligaments in my Knees and Calf muscles couldn't keep up with the bone gorwth and hence my legs went inwards to prevent the fibers from tearing.
Which is making you knock kneed and pronating?

I'd ask your therapist for a strength program too to be honest (although it's likely he already gave you one), he'll probably have you strengthen your glutes etc.

Jan 3, 2010
Pretty much.

I have stretchs to stop the cramps in my shins, the rest of my legs muscles are, quite frankly, titanic.
Yeah, but what you often see is guys with humongous quads who'll develop all sorts of problems, because when running the power really should be coming from your hips, not your quads. You're likely to develop this when you're doing a lot of front squatting and not balancing it out with posterior chain exercises like deadlifts.

You might also have overdeveloped calves and a tibialis anterior that is not able to keep up with them, which is quite easy to fix, but I'm not a big believer of the idea. Anyways, a physical therapist who is good at his job should see your particular strength imbalance problem and if he didn't notice anything during the exam, it's likely that there's nothing to find. That said sometimes it can be a lot experimenting to correct your problem.

In any case it's a very shitty problem, man. Shin splints hurt like hell and generally they're hard to get rid off. Good luck and let's hope you're injury free again soon.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
:oops:

--

Did you any of try HIIT tabata method? It's 20 seconds sprint and 10 seconds rest. Do that 8 times and it's done.

I heard it's the best cardio exercise ever . Some people that did it for a first time threw up etc. It's really hard and intense.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Dooz, I haven't done any exercise since the race on Saturday, just some long walks. Today me legs felt normal, shall I run tomorrow or shall I wait one more day?

Jan 3, 2010
:oops:

--

Did you any of try HIIT tabata method? It's 20 seconds sprint and 10 seconds rest. Do that 8 times and it's done.

I heard it's the best cardio exercise ever . Some people that did it for a first time threw up etc. It's really hard and intense.
I don't think anyone here could do 20 second sprint intervals like that. Maybe running at 90%, but not sprinting. Let's say you do 150 meters per 20 seconds. Not even 400 meter runners are going to manage that feat and they can suffer a lot more than we can.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I don't think anyone here could do 20 second sprint intervals like that. Maybe running at 90%, but not sprinting. Let's say you do 150 meters per 20 seconds. Not even 400 meter runners are going to manage that feat and they can suffer a lot more than we can.
Well, I say sprint. It could mean giving your best.

It's tough and people want to die while doing it :D But I heard it's the best thing to do while bulking up and getting high definition. Your metabolism would work 3 times faster for the next 2 days, it's crazy. Once a week would be enough.

Dooz, I haven't done any exercise since the race on Saturday, just some long walks. Today me legs felt normal, shall I run tomorrow or shall I wait one more day?
If you felt better today then you should hit it tomorrow. ;)

It feels weird giving you an advice for this :D You're pro, it should be vice versa.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)