Gym and fitness (14 Viewers)

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
Yo, Vin...have a question

For the Biceps and Chests, can we really work on these two together? Or one day biceps and the other chests?

and something else, I never took protein in my life and it's taking time for my biceps and chests to look the way I want them to look....Not like I want them to look huge or big, just normal but to be in-shape...

We don't have a real trainer in our team, we hit by the gym we work out for an hour but the only thing that I can see improving is my abs and my shoulders.
I'll see if i can answer that Rab, when working the chest the muscles you are using in your arms are the triceps (the back of the arm) and sometimes the delts, while biceps are mainly used when doing back exercises, so its better to do chest one day along with some tricep, and then do bicep along with back another day. to get your arms bigger i'd really recommend working out the triceps, as it gives your arm a nice shape if they're defined.

If you're finding its taking a along time, make sure you're changing your routine, never keep it the same, and always try to increase either the weight or the reps, doing the same routine week in week out on the same weight will not get results.

Even if you are just trying to shape up u still need lots of protein, that doesnt mean you need to have protein shakes or bars but ur diet needs to be high in it, and taking shakes does help to increase your intake (and is more effective), some amino acids such as l-glutamine also are very useful for quick recovery (and are not harmful). creatine can also be useful but for what u want i wouldn't recommend it.

hope that helped, feel free to ask any questions (I did A-level physical and sports studies and did a lot of studies on sports nutrition and other related things so I have a little bit of knowledge on this! :) )

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
hey rehan....wanna be my nutritionist? my problem is i am a carb fiend, though i have taken to eating peanut-butter bagels lately :yummy:

rab honestly mate look at the mens health uk pages as they are full of great info and the message boards are full of folk willing to give advice

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
hey rehan....wanna be my nutritionist? my problem is i am a carb fiend, though i have taken to eating peanut-butter bagels lately :yummy:

rab honestly mate look at the mens health uk pages as they are full of great info and the message boards are full of folk willing to give advice
hehe no prob man, the thing is rob, CARBS ARE NOT BAD!!! what is lethal, is eating carbs LATE! eat carbs in the morning and mid day, but in the evening stay away from them, try that for a month and you will see great results,(because what happens is when you eat carbs late, it's not used and when you go to sleep it is stored as fat :disagree: ) i actually find when i'm putting on muscle that peanut bagels are pretty good :cool: carbs and protein!!

and yep menshealth website is good as well as that try the mensfitness website :agree:

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
I'll see if i can answer that Rab, when working the chest the muscles you are using in your arms are the triceps (the back of the arm) and sometimes the delts, while biceps are mainly used when doing back exercises, so its better to do chest one day along with some tricep, and then do bicep along with back another day. to get your arms bigger i'd really recommend working out the triceps, as it gives your arm a nice shape if they're defined.

If you're finding its taking a along time, make sure you're changing your routine, never keep it the same, and always try to increase either the weight or the reps, doing the same routine week in week out on the same weight will not get results.

Even if you are just trying to shape up u still need lots of protein, that doesnt mean you need to have protein shakes or bars but ur diet needs to be high in it, and taking shakes does help to increase your intake (and is more effective), some amino acids such as l-glutamine also are very useful for quick recovery (and are not harmful). creatine can also be useful but for what u want i wouldn't recommend it.

hope that helped, feel free to ask any questions (I did A-level physical and sports studies and did a lot of studies on sports nutrition and other related things so I have a little bit of knowledge on this! :) )

mostly correct except on the combo of chest and tri's, it is because you re using your tri's (and the push motion) that it is recommended to switch up to a pulling motion with a smaller muscle i.e biceps. This way you can have the muscle stamina to maximize your workout. All of this is conceptual of course and everyone has their routine i personally work out a muscle a day except for abs and lower back.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Good stuff there Rihan.

But you know, whenever I make chests exercises, like there are over 5 things for chests I do each one about 3 rounds, when I'm done with that, and I turn to make some biceps or triceps I feel I can't lift alot, like what i'm normally supposed to lift.

Friend of mine said that it's because I'm going like 4times a week. and It's not much.

I always try to increase the weight, but not to a level where I really force myself like crazy, because I feel when I lift as much as I can, I can do it much properly and better. Sometimes when I put more weight, I feel my hands are shaking and I'm not doing it the way I should.

Isn't there like a specific kind of food to eat after you're done? I heard Tuna for example is good? lot of meat after gym is also very helpful.

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
mostly correct except on the combo of chest and tri's, it is because you re using your tri's (and the push motion) that it is recommended to switch up to a pulling motion with a smaller muscle i.e biceps. This way you can have the muscle stamina to maximize your workout. All of this is conceptual of course and everyone has their routine i personally work out a muscle a day except for abs and lower back.
ahh yes, that is very true, but i find i like to do tricep at the end to really exhaust them after chest. sometimes i do one muscle a day which is very effective (but with time constraints i find myself combining parts in one session!)

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
But if you're going to do one muscle a day then you gonna need whole week, I usually try to go 5 times a week, still I need to get into routine again and also need to change the way I'm eating. I mostly know what and when to eat, but sometimes I don't have time to make the meal I need or something like that. Mine biggest problem is eating late and that is making fat around my stomach, I'm not saying that I'm fat cuz I'm not, but still there is something I need to do with my lower abs.

@Re: What do you suggest to eat late (around 8pm) I preffer Musli or smth like that. Also I'm trying to eat smaller portions but more often and I will probably add Whey-pro+Creatin+Amino acids as suplements (if I get the money).

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Hmm..not sure what you're implying, but the general impression I get- girls love guys with fit bodies and decent muscular cuts.

That said, I'm the thin and scrawny type. Why I don't put effort and go to the gym is beyond me. Too lazy... :confused:

The only sport I do is football and swimming
join the club rhizoid, the problem is not the laziness to be honest its just the aftermath of working out specially the first few times!! i go to uni and i honestly cant wake up the next day cos of the body ache :cry:

i go gym 5 times a week, and its important that you work your whole body (not jsut doing chest and arms) since that will give u muscle imbalances. bag (lats), shoulders (delts) and traps are very important too not to mention doing legs as well!!

it depends on what your trying to do as well, u can adjust your workout and nutrition if you want to gain muscle, but if ur looking to just tone up then u can adjust for that too

rehan, i am quite skinny and i have hunched shoulders i mean i already have a broad chest but my shoulders tend to move towards my chest ( u kjnow what happens to school kids who carry heavy bags? hope u get th epicture) i am not a major hunch back but my shoulders def are'nt in good posture.

is there any work out schedule i can do at home to get my shoulders in the right posture?

the second thing is what do u guys do to get over the pain that hits yr body after yr first few times at the gym?? is there any analgesic u use ( like voltern tablets, injection, or olfen etc.....)

Geof

May 14, 2004
Funny that this thread comes up now, as I decided to get back to some sportng recently. I guess a gym is my best option as the winter is coming and I hate running anyway.

So, anyone have some tips on how I should get started? I'm thiking more cardio-fitness-lose some weight more than muscles or anything.
I plan to go like 3-4 times a week, for 1-2 hours. What would youguys recommend, time-wise and exercise wise?

OP
HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter #51
    Go for the gym.Running can lose its fun after a while as far as im concerned,and it ends up becoming a pain.In a gym you have an intructor who keeps on pushing you on even when you arent motivated,plus no one wants to waste money:D

Anyone having trouble with the Stamina bit btw?I cant seem to let go of smoking which is why i hated running.Id start huffing and puffing like an asshole after 5 minutes.That was one of the reasons that made me join a gym instead.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    Yo, Vin...have a question

For the Biceps and Chests, can we really work on these two together? Or one day biceps and the other chests?

and something else, I never took protein in my life and it's taking time for my biceps and chests to look the way I want them to look....Not like I want them to look huge or big, just normal but to be in-shape...

We don't have a real trainer in our team, we hit by the gym we work out for an hour but the only thing that I can see improving is my abs and my shoulders.
    here is one of the routines I've done to get some size-

Day 1- chest and back
    Day 2- shoulders, biceps, triceps
    Day 3- legs

I'll usually hit 2-3 different exercises for the larger muscle groups, and one or 2 for the smaller, usually 3 sets per exercise

If you are looking to get a bit of size, I would only hit the muscles once a week (they need time to recover and grow), and progressively increase the weight, and lower the reps (3-6, depending how heavy you go)

You need to have protein with every meal, whether it be a protein shake, or foods like lean beef, chicken or turkey. Try to eat 5-6 meals per day, and if you are still playing football and or doing cardio, then dont worry too much about the carbs. The biggest thing is to make sure you replenish both your carbs and protein after you play, and make sure you have a protein shake immediately after you workout

Il Re said:
    creatine can also be useful but for what u want i wouldn't recommend it.
    I disagree...

depending on what brand of creatine you use, you can get some decent strength and endurance increases out of it

also, I was just at a gastroenterologist who is up to date on supplements, and he advised me that creatine wont harm your liver or kidneys

rvi

l'amour toujours
    Apr 5, 2007
    i go to the gym 6x for a week for about 3 hours or i can push for 3.5 but usually after i wilt lol...but i've always been a member of a gym plus i run 6-8 miles on mornings but then again i'm a girl so you might not want my opinion on the types of workouts you're doing for your biceps lol

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003

Day 1- chest and back
    Day 2- shoulders, biceps, triceps
    Day 3- legs

I'll usually hit 2-3 different exercises for the larger muscle groups, and one or 2 for the smaller, usually 3 sets per exercise

If you are looking to get a bit of size, I would only hit the muscles once a week (they need time to recover and grow), and progressively increase the weight, and lower the reps (3-6, depending how heavy you go)

You need to have protein with every meal, whether it be a protein shake, or foods like lean beef, chicken or turkey. Try to eat 5-6 meals per day, and if you are still playing football and or doing cardio, then dont worry too much about the carbs. The biggest thing is to make sure you replenish both your carbs and protein after you play, and make sure you have a protein shake immediately after you workout
    Great great.....thanks alot Vin.

I think I'll start taking some protein shake considering that i never took something like this before.

But one more question, is it true that if i take protein shake or any kind of protein and if i stop going to the gym, my muscles would shrink, don't know if thats the best word i found for it. hope you got my point.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    What about losing weight?The diet and the gymwork.
    sprints are the BEST wasy to lose weight. You can do the same workout program, but use less weight, more reps, less time between sets, and superset

Great great.....thanks alot Vin.

I think I'll start taking some protein shake considering that i never took something like this before.

But one more question, is it true that if i take protein shake or any kind of protein and if i stop going to the gym, my muscles would shrink, don't know if thats the best word i found for it. hope you got my point.
    nah...it isnt steroids:D

one more thing...every week, I mix up the exercises that I do. You gotta confuse the muscles into growing more by hitting them all different ways

Il Re

-- 10 --
    Jan 13, 2005
    @Re: What do you suggest to eat late (around 8pm) I preffer Musli or smth like that. Also I'm trying to eat smaller portions but more often and I will probably add Whey-pro+Creatin+Amino acids as suplements (if I get the money).
    i'd stick with something low carb, high protein, so mayb some chicken or fish (a small amount of carbs wont hurt)

whey protein+creatine+amino acids work very well, noticable results in a short time, i'd highly recommend them, however be careful on what brand you buy, some of the cheaper alternatives are not very effective!

Il Re

-- 10 --
    Jan 13, 2005

I disagree...

depending on what brand of creatine you use, you can get some decent strength and endurance increases out of it

also, I was just at a gastroenterologist who is up to date on supplements, and he advised me that creatine wont harm your liver or kidneys
    hmmm, i've always found creatine usefull for building mass and for performance, but for just toning up i havn't really found the need for it ;)

wot do u think of glutamine vin?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)