Gym and fitness (16 Viewers)

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Obviously it is, and oily fish in moderation also has good health benefits. I like king prawns but I have to eat about 25 in a time to get it close to my normal protein intake.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not healthy at all.
Isnt gym about looking good/becoming stronger/live your passion type of thing? I dont think lifting is particularly healthy, is it?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Isnt gym about looking good/becoming stronger/live your passion type of thing? I dont think lifting is particularly healthy, is it?
Of course exercising and strengthening your muscles are healthy. It also strengthens your bones and joints. Increases metabolism, testosterone levels, good for your mental, helps with stress, and I'm sure there are many other health benefits

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
The benefits of (sensible) weight training have been proven by now. Especially when looking at sarcopenia.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Weight training without overload, which means trainings you could do months in a row without overtraining, are largely beneficial. This is recreational sports

Weight training which incorporates overload, which means a period in which you lift more than you can recover from when sustaining too long, and deload to quickly redapt, and repeat, is still beneficial. This is dedicated sports

Weight training with the view to be competitive and find your physical limits, is less healthy than recreational sports, but still better than doing nothing at all. This is competitive sports.

Having that said, competitive weight sporters, are known to recover far quicker from just about anything especially when rehabilitation is required

- - - Updated - - -

Sarcopena as said by @Seven is indeed a great example. So is the resistance to testosterone level decay. Weight training will make it drop much slower.

Wittl

Contributor
Feb 21, 2017
I dont eat fish cause these days you dont know whether it was caught in the open sea, or bred in a fish farm.

Also

Chicken breast : 5.5 euros/kg
Tenderloin 1% fat : 13.5 euros/kg when bought in promotion
fish thats probably caught in the open sea : 25-35 euro/kg

Its also a budget thing
Agree :tup:

Do you also pay heed to the keeping of the chicken? Cause it‘s also not an unproblematic thing imo.

Wittl

Contributor
Feb 21, 2017
Which is it that you avoid, fish farm fish or sea caught fish?
When I cook myself, I have a look on it. I don't cook fish often, but when I'll buy fresh swiss fish. I'd never buy some cheap Pangasius fish f.e. from e farm in Vietnam.

I just asked the question out of curiosity. All I do is having a look that I eat balanced, but I'd never count any calories or proteins.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
When I cook myself, I have a look on it. I don't cook fish often, but when I'll buy fresh swiss fish. I'd never buy some cheap Pangasius fish f.e. from e farm in Vietnam.

I just asked the question out of curiosity. All I do is having a look that I eat balanced, but I'd never count any calories or proteins.
I was just wondering if one was seen as healthier than the other.

I assume Zach meant he preferred fish from the sea. But then again the oceans are so polluted now I'm not sure.

Wittl

Contributor
Feb 21, 2017
I was just wondering if one was seen as healthier than the other.

I assume Zach meant he preferred fish from the sea. But then again the oceans are so polluted now I'm not sure.
That's one point, it's how the animals are feeded and all the poisenous substances. But I think it's also about the fact that people in middle europe don't approve to the bad keeping of animals and even more the long transportation and it's environmental burden. This might not be a matter you guys care about there in Trinidad. :p

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
The benefits of (sensible) weight training have been proven by now. Especially when looking at sarcopenia.

Ok, maybe I should've included a disclaimer for the peeps who do it sensibly, although that might be a minority, because I think we all know a fat guy or two who gave up lifting, but not his eating habits or a guy who used to lift until doctors told him to stop because of some injury.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Ok, maybe I should've included a disclaimer for the peeps who do it sensibly, although that might be a minority, because I think we all know a fat guy or two who gave up lifting, but not his eating habits or a guy who used to lift until doctors told him to stop because of some injury.
There are very few injuries that mean you have to stop lifting completely. A person with severe back issues might want to avoid deadlifts, but pull ups might be good for him. In general it's just smart to work out. No need to pull 400 kg or dehydrate to look more vascular, but surely going to the gym has few drawbacks and a lot of benefits.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Which is it that you avoid, fish farm fish or sea caught fish?
Ocean fish will be higher in mercury but I guess it’s all about risk assessment and portion control. Farm fish really depends on the supplier, nothing wrong with it if it’s from a legit source.

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t see how the fat guy who gave up lifting is a bad look on lifting :D

Anyways, most people don’t lift beyond their limits anyways. And as it was said previously, any exercise is better than no exercise.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
That's one point, it's how the animals are feeded and all the poisenous substances. But I think it's also about the fact that people in middle europe don't approve to the bad keeping of animals and even more the long transportation and it's environmental burden. This might not be a matter you guys care about there in Trinidad. :p
Oh, first world problems :D

Nah we have more real life worries:p

Ocean fish will be higher in mercury but I guess it’s all about risk assessment and portion control. Farm fish really depends on the supplier, nothing wrong with it if it’s from a legit source.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyways, most people don’t lift beyond their limits anyways. And as it was said previously, any exercise is better than no exercise.
Yup. If rather eat farm fish once it's a safe supplier

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007

Well because people often change eating habits when they lift, which causes them to either do it forever, change your diet back when you stop or get fat :D I like lifting, I just think there are way better ways to work out if you just want to stay healthy, go to water aerobics or something. I personally do it because I want to have a certain look and its a great way to have some guy time

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Well because people often change eating habits when they lift, which causes them to either do it forever, change your diet back when you stop or get fat :D I like lifting, I just think there are way better ways to work out if you just want to stay healthy, go to water aerobics or something. I personally do it because I want to have a certain look and its a great way to have some guy time
True, but I just meant that’s more of a people thing :D

Lifting is pretty reliable and safe, unless you decide to really push yourself. It’s ideal to do a bit of everything but lifting is usually the one that provides the most benefits in the least amount of time and effort. Running too I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

We used to discuss lifting heavy weights here. Now I see it's about ocean fish.

Interesting.
Nutrition is a big part of working out :p

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
fish farm fish are fed 'krokets' of garbage called food and are full of heavy metal and the meat is excessively poor and falls apart
Not too much difference to what your chickens get fed with i guess.

- - - Updated - - -

When I cook myself, I have a look on it. I don‘t cook fish often, but when I‘ll buy fresh swiss fish. I‘d never buy some cheap Pangasius fish f.e. from e farm in Vietnam.
Goes so well with dry prosecco :drool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)