Gym and fitness (21 Viewers)

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Because my home gym sort of burnt down (we'll get it fixed, but it will take a few weeks / possibly months), I joined a local gym.

I had forgotten just how horrendous most gyms are it seems. I guess I'm at least lucky in that I am a man, as a woman it doesn't even feel safe.

And the people you see.. Bodybuilders warming up by walking on a treadmill (just fucking run you moron), the same bodybuilder benching hundreds of kilos but not being able to do a single unassisted pullup, women ugly as sin 'stretching' to show their 'goods'.. Ugh, horrible.

Oh, and for some reason no one there actually spoke my language. Which, considering the gym was less than a mile from my home, was kind of weird too.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk
No offense but you sound like a pretty arrogant, ignorant, and dickhead person to be around. What makes you think you know better than others do when it comes to their workouts and routines? Why would a bodybuilder run? That's the last thing they should do seeing as running with all that weight is horrible for your joints. But shows how much you know.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
No offense but you sound like a pretty arrogant, ignorant, and dickhead person to be around. What makes you think you know better than others do when it comes to their workouts and routines? Why would a bodybuilder run? That's the last thing they should do seeing as running with all that weight is horrible for your joints. But shows how much you know.
Lol. I obviously wasn't talking about the biggest bodybuilders you'll see. These were more 'physique' athletes. I can assure you they were perfectly capable of running without any ill effect.

I guess you do weigh a lot and if you do, yeah, running might not be the best choice.

Also, you can't just put in no offense and then go on a rant. That's annoying.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Because my home gym sort of burnt down (we'll get it fixed, but it will take a few weeks / possibly months), I joined a local gym.

I had forgotten just how horrendous most gyms are it seems. I guess I'm at least lucky in that I am a man, as a woman it doesn't even feel safe.

And the people you see.. Bodybuilders warming up by walking on a treadmill (just fucking run you moron), the same bodybuilder benching hundreds of kilos but not being able to do a single unassisted pullup, women ugly as sin 'stretching' to show their 'goods'.. Ugh, horrible.

Oh, and for some reason no one there actually spoke my language. Which, considering the gym was less than a mile from my home, was kind of weird too.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk
Few points :

- a warm up shouldnt exceed 100 bpm. If he gets that by walking, fine. I prefer bodyweight squats or biking
- Running is bad for anyone building mass or strenght for sole purpose
- 'bodybuilders' arent about strenght or athleticism. Its about having huge low density muscles and lift up your shirt alot or pose in a string.
- If he benches alot but cant do a push up, but has massive upper back, he made his goal.
- Dont go to a ghetto gym, full with people who arent allowed/kicked out of decent gyms
- attentionwhoring fitness sluts are part of the decoration. learn to appreciate those who arent.
- Dont go to a gym in brussels lol. Try the sides like Strombeek-Bever

- - - Updated - - -

He got himself injured badly because of that record!
Spoto had the record back then, Sarychev has it now. We wont see scott back at that level i'm afraid

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
LOOOL at the no offense. I'll shit all over you but you know, no offense.
Typical American nonsense.

Few points :

- a warm up shouldnt exceed 100 bpm. If he gets that by walking, fine. I prefer bodyweight squats or biking
- Running is bad for anyone building mass or strenght for sole purpose
- 'bodybuilders' arent about strenght or athleticism. Its about having huge low density muscles and lift up your shirt alot or pose in a string.
- If he benches alot but cant do a push up, but has massive upper back, he made his goal.
- Dont go to a ghetto gym, full with people who arent allowed/kicked out of decent gyms
- attentionwhoring fitness sluts are part of the decoration. learn to appreciate those who arent.
- Dont go to a gym in brussels lol. Try the sides like Strombeek-Bever

The people I'm talking about did not get a warm up by walking. They were 'bodybuilders', but obviously not competitive. Just a group of young guys taking hours, talking between sets and being too lazy to warm up properly. I also gave the pull up example because they were walking hunched over, which makes it obvious that they'd probably do well to learn how to do a single pull up. A single pull up ffs.

And I know it's just about the muscle for them, but I know a couple of professional bodybuilders (high school friends) and they all do pull ups / deadlifts / rows.. They all have strong backs.

EDIT: btw I disagree with running being bad for building general strength. Unless you're running for hours, the negative effects are small. In fact, cardio has shown to be quite beneficial in terms of recovery capacity, which is something you obviously need. And I've found that for building leg strength, sprinting really helps.

If your goal is absolute maximum strength, yeah, then running might not be great. But who does that apply too? Powerlifters and Olympic lifters, not bodybuilders.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
While i've adressed some points Seven said, its normal to have irritations in the gym.

I train in a more serious gym. It was purely big bodybuilders or serious fitness athletes. We turned into a well suited place to powerlift over the past years

Yet, its normal to have irritations in any gym, cause of the broad variety. Here are mine

- Wannabe guys who want to "vent frustration" by uneccecary shouting and trowing weights
- People who dont clean up cause to busy lifitng a shirt or saying idiotic stuff
- Wannabe serious bodybuilders, who get intimidated by powerlifters repping their max
- above persons getting knee issues from loading hundreths of kg's on a leg pres and do a 5cm ROM, but blame it on squat which is why they dont squat deep.
- attentionwhoring fitness sluts who dont have good enough ass to get away with it
- the guy who promotes crossfit

I personally find alot of those in the gym i want to, close to brussels in 2009-2011

- - - Updated - - -

Typical American nonsense.

The people I'm talking about did not get a warm up by walking. They were 'bodybuilders', but obviously not competitive. Just a group of young guys taking hours, talking between sets and being too lazy to warm up properly. I also gave the pull up example because they were walking hunched over, which makes it obvious that they'd probably do well to learn how to do a single pull up. A single pull up ffs.

And I know it's just about the muscle for them, but I know a couple of professional bodybuilders (high school friends) and they all do pull ups / deadlifts / rows.. They all have strong backs.

EDIT: btw I disagree with running being bad for building general strength. Unless you're running for hours, the negative effects are small. In fact, cardio has shown to be quite beneficial in terms of recovery capacity, which is something you obviously need. And I've found that for building leg strength, sprinting really helps.

If your goal is absolute maximum strength, yeah, then running might not be great. But who does that apply too? Powerlifters and Olympic lifters, not bodybuilders.
yeah, alot of these guys in any gym tbh. To buzy talking when they benched 5 plates in high school but <insert fake injury>

You have bodybuilders with insane size who bench 90-100. it exists. thats all i'm saying :D

Bodybuilders will nearly always ride bycles. Running is incredibly catabolic and they all push the muscle they can hold. +unlike actual athletes, they dont have very strong joints, tendons and ligaments in comparison.

As a powerlifter on sheiko, my recovery is foamrolling, stretching after repeating a big lift twice per training, + very high frequency. But riding 7 km back home is great tbh. Not run, cycle :p

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I agree with Seven, gym culture is mostly annoying. He may have presented his point by some examples and stereotypes but in general it is damn annoying to go to a gym where lots of casual people go, especially in January with all the new year resolutions and new year new me stuff.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I agree with Seven, gym culture is mostly annoying. He may have presented his point by some examples and stereotypes but in general it is damn annoying to go to a gym where lots of casual people go, especially in January with all the new year resolutions and new year new me stuff.
I probably chose the worst gym as it is Basic Fit, people in Belgium and the Netherlands will be familiar with this. But I needed a place with weights and treadmills. If I could shower at home I'd probably just sprint and not lift weights for a couple of weeks, but the bathroom will have to be fixed after the fire too. And Basic Fit was way cheaper than everything else, with the benefit that I can cancel my membership every month, which I will do as soon as I can use my home gym again.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Nothing wrong with what @Seven said.

Besides, anyone who builds their body in a way that means they are incapable of running even short distances without risking damage to their joints, is an utter twat in my opinion.

I have no problem with bodybuilding, powerlifting, O-lifting, in general... but if you take your body to a place where a basic human movement like running or jumping is impossible/dangerous, you are an idiot.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Nothing wrong with what @Seven said.

Besides, anyone who builds their body in a way that means they are incapable of running even short distances without risking damage to their joints, is an utter twat in my opinion.

I have no problem with bodybuilding, powerlifting, O-lifting, in general... but if you take your body to a place where a basic human movement like running or jumping is impossible/dangerous, you are an idiot.
Running is always a touchy subject.

Because it requires more effort than a lot of other things in the gym, people would rather simply declare that you don't need to be able to run to be in good shape.

But you do. If you're able bodied, you should be able to run. And you should do so every once in a while.

At least that's how I see it.

Jun 6, 2015
If you're a human you should run or at the very least walk long distances.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Running is always a touchy subject.

Because it requires more effort than a lot of other things in the gym, people would rather simply declare that you don't need to be able to run to be in good shape.

But you do. If you're able bodied, you should be able to run. And you should do so every once in a while.

At least that's how I see it.
:agree:

For me, it's not even about whether you actually run or not (though I do share the opinion that people should occasionally go for a jog because I think it's good for the body)... it's all about the ability to do what is a very basic and fundamental human movement. If you have morphed your body into something so grotesque that you no longer have the physical ability to run (without huge risk of injury), you've done something severely wrong... And you are certainly not physically healthy and able-bodied, in my opinion.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Went snowshoing across country and through the woods yesterday. Was pretty cool, but also pretty exhausting.
Good i have those roberto Carlos like upper legs from football training, inline skating and running :p

Still takes some time to get used to the movement i guess. Was pretty out of steam after roughly 15km (might have been going too fast). Noticed a a slight pain in my right groin (always been having problems with it), luckily it didn't become any worse over the night. Also no sore muscles. Going again on friday, if the weather is nice :tup:

@Post Ironic :shifty:

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
9 months ago I started olympic weight lifting, I started by training once a week of course in combination with other workout, I do a lot of variation usually and still do. Later after around 5 months I started doing it twice a week. Up until two or three weeks ago, I would fail to snatch 40 kg no matter what, I would succeed only the occasional time. For the past two weeks I have been snatching between 40 kg and 45 kg, today I snatched 45 kg followed by OHS and I did that three times in sets of 2. Progress, but is it a slow progress?

Now to my Achilles heel, I can clean 70 kg but I don't want to go heavier as of yet, I usually start at 40 kg and progress up. I stop at 65 kg and I do the occasional 70 kg every now and then. So why don't I want to go further? Because my jerk has stopped at 42 kg. What shall I do? Do I have to strengthen with other workouts during my other days? and if so what?

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
9 months ago I started olympic weight lifting, I started by training once a week of course in combination with other workout, I do a lot of variation usually and still do. Later after around 5 months I started doing it twice a week. Up until two or three weeks ago, I would fail to snatch 40 kg no matter what, I would succeed only the occasional time. For the past two weeks I have been snatching between 40 kg and 45 kg, today I snatched 45 kg followed by OHS and I did that three times in sets of 2. Progress, but is it a slow progress?

Now to my Achilles heel, I can clean 70 kg but I don't want to go heavier as of yet, I usually start at 40 kg and progress up. I stop at 65 kg and I do the occasional 70 kg every now and then. So why don't I want to go further? Because my jerk has stopped at 42 kg. What shall I do? Do I have to strengthen with other workouts during my other days? and if so what?
Jerk is always the lift that kept my total way down. I always had trouble with the split jerk, and ended up developing better and better shoulder mobility so as to be able to squat jerk. If you can develop the shoulder mobility for it, it's a damn good movement.

To help with Split jerk... two exercises work well. Push Press for developing the initial drive, and Overhead Split Squats are great for developing the strength needed in the split position, especially with a pause at the bottom to work on stability there.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Hey guys. I'm trying to build up my shoulders now that my chest is finally coming along. But I have no idea what I am doing.

Any suggestions for a basic workout?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)