Gym and fitness (104 Viewers)

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Guys I need help, I want to do Bill Starr 5x5 program, but the problem is I can't do back squats. Since I injured my shoulder (rotator cuff) I can't hold bar on my neck, there is to much tension on my shoulder and it starts to hurt. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Dont do the program, you cant bench and squat with an injured rotator cuff. In fact it will make it worse.

Do 3 months of general bodybuilding training. No dumbells or barbells, only machines.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I've read on stronglifts that they do not recommend front squats as a replacement, also I'm working out at home, so no presses for me. It looks like I'm gonna have to stick with some classic bb split instead. Also I injured my shoulder almost a year ago, and even though it's better (especially when I started lifting weights) I'm still unable to perform some moves with my arm without pain (mostly 90 degree positions).
If you actually tore one of the parts of the rotator cuff, it's an injury that won't ever recover without surgery. If it was just a minor tear/strain/sprain surgery isn't required... Did you get an x-ray or mri to find out what exactly you did?

One of the best things you can do once your rotator cuff is mostly healed is strengthening exercises with a therabands or very light weights to start in the order of 1-3lbs. Both internal and external rotations with upper arm against side, elbow bent 90 and then upper arm straight out and elbow bent 90.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
Dont do the program, you cant bench and squat with an injured rotator cuff. In fact it will make it worse.

Do 3 months of general bodybuilding training. No dumbells or barbells, only machines.
Actually I have no problem with bench press, military press or front squats with dumbells, I can also do almost any shoulder exercise (only few of them can cause slight discomfort). The only problem I have is holding the bar when doing squats, I've marked the spot on the picture below.

$BackSquat_2.jpg

Oh, also I'm not sure do I have hernia or groin strain :D

If you actually tore one of the parts of the rotator cuff, it's an injury that won't ever recover without surgery. If it was just a minor tear/strain/sprain surgery isn't required... Did you get an x-ray or mri to find out what exactly you did?

One of the best things you can do once your rotator cuff is mostly healed is strengthening exercises with a therabands or very light weights to start in the order of 1-3lbs. Both internal and external rotations with upper arm against side, elbow bent 90 and then upper arm straight out and elbow bent 90.
Yeah I've had MRI but it's quite inconclusive, it seems like I tore one of the ligaments and one is strained. Doctor told me he is not doing an operation unless shoulder is popping out. I've been at physiotherapy, that didn't help much either. Only progress I noticed was when I started lifting weights, it looks like I strengthen my shoulder and tendons and that decreased the pain.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Actually I have no problem with bench press, military press or front squats with dumbells, I can also do almost any shoulder exercise (only few of them can cause slight discomfort). The only problem I have is holding the bar when doing squats, I've marked the spot on the picture below.

$BackSquat_2.jpg

Oh, also I'm not sure do I have hernia or groin strain :D

Yeah I've had MRI but it's quite inconclusive, it seems like I tore one of the ligaments and one is strained. Doctor told me he is not doing an operation unless shoulder is popping out. I've been at physiotherapy, that didn't help much either. Only progress I noticed was when I started lifting weights, it looks like I strengthen my shoulder and tendons and that decreased the pain.
If you're having problems holding the bar with squats, I'd suggest you start slowly working on mobility in your shoulder, alongside the strengthening.

It happened the same with me, it was inconclusive on MRIs, but looked more like a minor-medium tear of the supraspinatus. I started with paddling my surfboard around for lightweight shoulder rotation strengthening, alongside scapular wall slides and shoulder dislocates for mobility, and those helped a huge amount, and then handstand and iron cross work on the gymnastics rings after a few months took away the rest of the pain and made my shoulders feel incredibly strong compared to pre-injury.

This video shows the scapular wall slide. The only thing to be changed is her lower back is arched out a bit from the wall, and you want to instead try to keep your lower back fairly flat against the wall as you raise your arms.

The other great shoulder mobility exercise that would be directly applicable is shoulder dislocates. I'd be really careful with this one, and not push it too hard, don't go to the point of pain, minor discomfort and tightness will happen at first, but no pain. Just make sure you go wide enough. Here's a great video on them.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I strained my calf yesterday :( any suggestions?
icepack , warm it up and re icepack. avoid using the calf. Kinda bad spot to hit

mobility in your shoulder, alongside the strengthening.

Pretty important that. i'd suggest him to see a fysio or a personal trainer (that knows his things about mobility) about it.
We got an excellent guy in our gym for that, who's helped me a great deal in stretching out for deadlifts and squats, lengthening the hamstrings and getting my right shoulder alot more mobile.

Oggy, have you ever done front squats ? Cause my trainingpartner had a injury on his shoulderpads once and just frontsquatted for 3 months.

And frontsquatting is key to stronger quadriceps, wich become the limiting factor over time

This is a question for everyone . What are your goals for the next year ?
- Lower my fat% by4 to 5%
- Remain under 120kg all year
- figure out wether i'm best in conventional or sumo deadlift
- improve shape of back on deadlift and squat
- improve my lifts to at least : 250squat (240 with good form), 160+ pauzed bench, 300+ deadlift
- improve my total over 730kg

optional

- squat 300kg with kneewraps, if i can afford ADP strangulator wraps, INZER lifting belt /w lever and the time in the schedule to do so

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
I would love to hit 1000 lbs on my big three but I don't know if it's gonna happen.
:shifty: Are you anywhere near that?

I just hope to make it through this year without looking Zarate at his worst.

In January I'm gonna diet again and do high intensity shit, to try to get down as close to 10% fat as possible. After that, I'll try again to build clean, and ideally I'd like to end the year at 185-190 lbs.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
:shifty: Are you anywhere near that?

I just hope to make it through this year without looking Zarate at his worst.

In January I'm gonna diet again and do high intensity shit, to try to get down as close to 10% fat as possible. After that, I'll try again to build clean, and ideally I'd like to end the year at 185-190 lbs.
I'm at a hair over 800. 200 lbs doesn't sound like a lot but it is. Although now that it's winter and I've been eating more + going with a slightly different routine, I feel more optimistic. Even if I hit 900, I'll consider it a success.

And damn it, I'd love to be at 190 by the end of the year. I'm 173 with gym clothes on. :D

- - - Updated - - -
@Quetzalcoatl I meant the combined three btw. They all add up to 1000, not 1000 on each.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
I'm at a hair over 800. 200 lbs doesn't sound like a lot but it is. Although now that it's winter and I've been eating more + going with a slightly different routine, I feel more optimistic. Even if I hit 900, I'll consider it a success.

And damn it, I'd love to be at 190 by the end of the year. I'm 173 with gym clothes on. :D

- - - Updated - - -
@Quetzalcoatl I meant the combined three btw. They all add up to 1000, not 1000 on each.
Oh... I was really like wtf, am I such an insignificant cockroach?

But still, that's great, especially for your weight.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

- - - Updated - - -
Dude. No need to jump to 190. If you could hit 1000lbs without going over 180lbs bodweight that would be damn impressive. 405 deadlift---315 Squat---280 Bench. Beast mode at 180lb bodyweight.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Dude. No need to jump to 190. If you could hit 1000lbs without going over 180lbs bodweight that would be damn impressive. 405 deadlift---315 Squat---280 Bench. Beast mode at 180lb bodyweight.
True that. I'm very close on the squat. 3 plate deads are getting easy too so I'm ready to move up a bit

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
If you're having problems holding the bar with squats, I'd suggest you start slowly working on mobility in your shoulder, alongside the strengthening.

It happened the same with me, it was inconclusive on MRIs, but looked more like a minor-medium tear of the supraspinatus. I started with paddling my surfboard around for lightweight shoulder rotation strengthening, alongside scapular wall slides and shoulder dislocates for mobility, and those helped a huge amount, and then handstand and iron cross work on the gymnastics rings after a few months took away the rest of the pain and made my shoulders feel incredibly strong compared to pre-injury.

This video shows the scapular wall slide. The only thing to be changed is her lower back is arched out a bit from the wall, and you want to instead try to keep your lower back fairly flat against the wall as you raise your arms.

The other great shoulder mobility exercise that would be directly applicable is shoulder dislocates. I'd be really careful with this one, and not push it too hard, don't go to the point of pain, minor discomfort and tightness will happen at first, but no pain. Just make sure you go wide enough. Here's a great video on them.

Thanks mate, I will certainly try this and see what happens

Oggy, have you ever done front squats ? Cause my trainingpartner had a injury on his shoulderpads once and just frontsquatted for 3 months.

And frontsquatting is key to stronger quadriceps, wich become the limiting factor over time
I'm doing front squats with dumbbells, also bulgarian split squat, and deadlifts as my leg exercise. Still I miss the back squat with the bar...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 99)