Gym and fitness (62 Viewers)

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Goddamn this is the real deal

Starting frontsquats, then bench, then return for full squats. then ending it with some fly's to stretch that chest, and leg raises.
0 stran in the back region, quads felt like exploding with mild acidity.

Front squats are pretty nice. Thing is unless you are agile like an olympic lifter, you sorta choke urself 70% when doing the reps.

So basically, frontsquats for the squatenthousiast, is like a girlfriend giving you a deeptroath. In both cases,you willingly trade oxygen for the love of the bar

Buy on AliExpress.com

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Biceps grow with many exercises, not just pullups. Bentover rows is also nice.
Start training the iron cross on gymnastic rings and see your biceps, triceps, delts, pecs explode!

- - - Updated - - -

Going around with belts is what what i generally see too . Another reason why I kind of am dubious and dislike belt users is because I have seen a lot of people who start pussying out when they take the belt off . My best deadlift up to this point has been 5x95 kg (no belt), while i have seen people that deadlift 5x160kg (with belt) but wouldn't dare even to deadlift 100kg without the belt . They get scared and as soon as they try lifting up they go "No no , I am gonna break , I need my belt" .
Unless one wants to become a competitive weightlifter/powerlifter, I really have never seen any point in wearing a belt. If your goal is either athleticism/function, or even bodybuilding, they really aren't necessary. In fact, most often they end up being counterproductive, as people don't allow their torso/core to gain the strength needed to do such lifts.

Moving timbers and logs around at work, I don't stop each time and say, hold on while I put on weightlifting belt. Same thing with any lifting done outside the gym environment. I had my deadlift over 180kg @ a bodyweight of 78kg. The numbers for many raw deadlifters are immense. Unless competition is the goal, a belt is pointless and counterproductive imo.

Gerd

Dec 25, 2011
Goddamn this is the real deal

Starting frontsquats, then bench, then return for full squats. then ending it with some fly's to stretch that chest, and leg raises.
0 stran in the back region, quads felt like exploding with mild acidity.

Front squats are pretty nice. Thing is unless you are agile like an olympic lifter, you sorta choke urself 70% when doing the reps.

So basically, frontsquats for the squatenthousiast, is like a girlfriend giving you a deeptroath. In both cases,you willingly trade oxygen for the love of the bar
Do my hands and wrists have to hurt after that ? I don't get if I am doing something wrong or it just is like that , because i get an extreme pain in the wrist hand area when i do those and I don't lift very high weights .

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
There are two ways of doing front squats.

One is what you describe, wich is excellent if you are doing a clean and jerk. Wich is done by olympic lifters. Wich are very agile and have their career end when their wristjoints give out.

You should do it like bodybuilders and powerlifters do :

arnold-front-squat-1.jpg

Stand with under the bar, pull your arms out horizontally, position yourself and get the bar to "lock" behind your big shoulder muscles (yeah, thats a little choking), then make a cross with the ellbows like arnold does.

He's doing it slightly wrong here. normally you should stretch the triceps pretty good, so the ellbows are at or above the shoulders. In the picture they are below. Wich is because arnold has a huge musclemass and couldnt get his arms up higher.

You should grip it like arnold does, but your ellbows must be above the shoulder or at the same level, not below

- - - Updated - - -

Note, the hands should only slightly touch the bar, and not where your troat is, to avoid further suffocation

- - - Updated - - -

here is a video where The Boss explains it

Gerd

Dec 25, 2011
Thanks this pratically puts no strain to the wrists , I think i'll just have a little bit more difficulties on the balancing side . I'll try it next time i do them :tup:

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
it improves rapidly.

My trainingpartner once had some sort of injury and had to stick to frontsquats for 3 months

Today, he can do 150kg front and 190kg backsquat
I was trashed when doing 5x100, whilst i can 220-240kg depending on the freshness of my spinae erectors.

But frontsquats are THE excercise to bridge the strengthgab between quads and back when it causes problems during squats

Gerd

Dec 25, 2011
Which kind of pullups do you guys do ? I personally prefer the reverse grip ones (chin ups) or neutral grip ones . I would like to do normal pullups problem is that at current time i can't squeze more than 3-4 pullups at a time with proper form (can do a 5x5 set with the other 2 types) and they put a lot of stress in my shoulders after the first 2-3 reps on each set .

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Argh, got mad cramp in my left calf today, was doing raises and extensions at 100-110kgs and now I can barely walk.
Thats the muscle beeing full of acid while recovering.
Its normal, you'll get used to it.

I had a huge cramp in my left pec when tying my shoes a few houres after a heavy workout wich also had benchpress

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Which kind of pullups do you guys do ? I personally prefer the reverse grip ones (chin ups) or neutral grip ones . I would like to do normal pullups problem is that at current time i can't squeze more than 3-4 pullups at a time with proper form (can do a 5x5 set with the other 2 types) and they put a lot of stress in my shoulders after the first 2-3 reps on each set .
I do narrow, wide and lat pull ups. I aim for 4*8-10 narrow and 3*8-10 lats on my back day, and 3*8-10 wide to warm up my triceps on my chest days.

Pull ups are my favourite upper body exercise but I'm a good.height to do them(179 cm). A lot of my friends that are over 185 hate them, every cm of height adds to the force you lift.

If your gym has an assist you could try and do that or do more sets to build the associated muscles. If you can row/pull down your own weight you should easily be able to pull up.

Gerd

Dec 25, 2011
I do narrow, wide and lat pull ups. I aim for 4*8-10 narrow and 3*8-10 lats on my back day, and 3*8-10 wide to warm up my triceps on my chest days.

Pull ups are my favourite upper body exercise but I'm a good.height to do them(179 cm). A lot of my friends that are over 185 hate them, every cm of height adds to the force you lift.

If your gym has an assist you could try and do that or do more sets to build the associated muscles. If you can row/pull down your own weight you should easily be able to pull up.
Does that work ? I always use either pushups or 1-2 warmup bench sets before my chest workout .

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
Guys I need help, I want to do Bill Starr 5x5 program, but the problem is I can't do back squats. Since I injured my shoulder (rotator cuff) I can't hold bar on my neck, there is to much tension on my shoulder and it starts to hurt. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Front squats? Having weights on your belt (like with dips) and squatting (this is a better way to go if you have f#cked up lower back, though)? Recover your shoulder and for a while do leg press?

Don't know, just suggestions :D

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
Front squats? Having weights on your belt (like with dips) and squatting (this is a better way to go if you have f#cked up lower back, though)? Recover your shoulder and for a while do leg press?

Don't know, just suggestions :D
I've read on stronglifts that they do not recommend front squats as a replacement, also I'm working out at home, so no presses for me. It looks like I'm gonna have to stick with some classic bb split instead. Also I injured my shoulder almost a year ago, and even though it's better (especially when I started lifting weights) I'm still unable to perform some moves with my arm without pain (mostly 90 degree positions).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 49)