Gym and fitness (148 Viewers)

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Mah current split:

Push: Shoulder press (4x5), bench (4x5), dips (3x12), lateral raises (5x12-15), Cable fly (4x12-15), tricep pushdown (4x15), overhead tricep movement (3x15), sometimes some incline bench (what's left in the tank)

Pull: Pull-ups neutral grip (4x5), barbell row (4x5), reverse flys (3x15), lat pulldowns (4x12-15), seated cable rows (4x15), facepulls (3x15-20), two or three biceps movements (3x12-15)

Legs: Squat (4x5-12), every third leg workout I switch with deadlift (4x5), Leg presses (4x15) or hamstring curls (4x15), calves raise (if I bother), hanging knee raises (4xmax) and ab wheel (4xmax) maybe the odd plank

What I found to be working the best is skip the gym ego (there's always someone stronger or better looking than you) and learn to do the movements correct. Great form > anything.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
You mixed push and pull :p

I'm doing a similar thing but I start with bench.

- - - Updated - - -

And I do deadlifts on pull day.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
You mixed push and pull :p

I'm doing a similar thing but I start with bench.

- - - Updated - - -

And I do deadlifts on pull day.
:p

I alternate between the two as the first exercise, tho I'm givin my shoulders some love currently since my pecs grows with ease.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Yeah I go through phases. Currently I'm kinda neglecting my shoulders but there's periods where I hit em hard. I'm just set on raising my bench atm.

True about form too. Not worth risking injuries just to say you did something when it wouldn't even count as a proper rep.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
It's how I finally made progression with pistol squats. You can lower the weight needed until it's easier to get back up without any extra weight and then start adding a bar and actually doing heavily weighted pistol back squats. Good luck tomorrow!
Dude! I love you! Have I told you that before? I held a 8kg kettlebell and managed 3 pistol squats with my right leg. I managed 2 shaky and 1 terrible in the left leg. But damn what a difference it makes with the weight. I am doing that quite often now. Thank you a lot for the tip.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
dont come back till you press 2 plates
It is done, master... albeit with the help of a spot. But still...

Doing it 5x5 made a big difference in what I could push. I mean it makes sense. But, although I'm pushing the most I can, my muscles don't feel exhausted after and I still have more energy than when I do the 10-8-6. Not sure if that's good. @PostIronic

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

Doing it 5x5 made a big difference in what I could push. I mean it makes sense. But, although I'm pushing the most I can, my muscles don't feel exhausted after and I still have more energy than when I do the 10-8-6. Not sure if that's good. @PostIronic
With lesser volume, you're not quite doing as much damage to your muscles. Muscular damage and metabolic stress from training are generally what cause hypertrophy. When you reduce rep numbers and increase weight, the correlation isn't quite there in terms of overall volume of weight lifted by a specific muscle group, especially if one is really doing true strength work and not adding in all the auxiliary, and isolation exercises that are a key part of any bodybuilding regime.

When training strength/power, your muscles shouldn't feel utterly depleted to the same point as with a bodybuilding workout. If you've taken it that far, it likely means the volume is too high for strength gains to be made efficiently, as you'll have done too much muscular damage. Now, this isn't saying that you shouldn't be able to work to feeling pretty smashed after a 5x5 on Bench/Squat/Deadlift/O-Lifts. You should be pushing a weight that for the last couple sets a spotter is needed to help with the last few reps, and you feel demolished in the immediate aftermath of the sets. However, because of the lack of volume, several minutes later, you won't feel that same muscular exhaustion that a bodybuilding workout gives.

You do have to be careful, in feeling that you have a little bit more energy at the end of a strength workout, not to jump into overtraining, as both DOMS (delayed-onset-muscle-soreness) and CNS fatigue can become major issues if one pushes too hard.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009

You didn't press to two plates, if somebody helped you :stuckup:

But no worries a couple of weeks maybe less and you should be there. I remember first time I tried benching 100 kgs. Fuck me, I was scared :lol:

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
A friend started lifting about 4 months ago and he's gained a lot of muscle and definition, his abs are visible now (not a lot but they're definitely there). The thing is that he was skinny-fat, he had a belly and skinny arms but he says he's only been bulking and doing 10 mins of HIIT after lifting.

How the fuck does that happen.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Could be steroids or super good genetics. 4 months seems like way too short to get that big if you were skinny to begin with. especially skinny fat.

- - - Updated - - -

Could be steroids or super good genetics. 4 months seems like way too short to get that big if you were skinny to begin with. especially skinny fat.

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
Mah current split:

Push: Shoulder press (4x5), bench (4x5), dips (3x12), lateral raises (5x12-15), Cable fly (4x12-15), tricep pushdown (4x15), overhead tricep movement (3x15), sometimes some incline bench (what's left in the tank)

Pull: Pull-ups neutral grip (4x5), barbell row (4x5), reverse flys (3x15), lat pulldowns (4x12-15), seated cable rows (4x15), facepulls (3x15-20), two or three biceps movements (3x12-15)

Legs: Squat (4x5-12), every third leg workout I switch with deadlift (4x5), Leg presses (4x15) or hamstring curls (4x15), calves raise (if I bother), hanging knee raises (4xmax) and ab wheel (4xmax) maybe the odd plank

What I found to be working the best is skip the gym ego (there's always someone stronger or better looking than you) and learn to do the movements correct. Great form > anything.
this is what I do basically. But twice a week since I like to hit every muscle twice a week. keep it at, its a great split.

Fint

Aug 13, 2010

- - - Updated - - -

A friend started lifting about 4 months ago and he's gained a lot of muscle and definition, his abs are visible now (not a lot but they're definitely there). The thing is that he was skinny-fat, he had a belly and skinny arms but he says he's only been bulking and doing 10 mins of HIIT after lifting.

How the fuck does that happen.
Ive been working out consistently and bulking the past 3 months and ive noticed a huge change in my overall size.

I was 84.5kg starting out, now I'm at 86.5kg.
Probably doesn't sound like that but my metabolism is pretty high.
First place i notice any change in mass is in my chest, two of my nice shirts no longer fit me :sad:

Have no interest in defined abs in all honesty and i haven't the discipline to restrict my diet completely.
once im bigger and stronger like uncle Zach, thats all that matters to me

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
With lesser volume, you're not quite doing as much damage to your muscles. Muscular damage and metabolic stress from training are generally what cause hypertrophy. When you reduce rep numbers and increase weight, the correlation isn't quite there in terms of overall volume of weight lifted by a specific muscle group, especially if one is really doing true strength work and not adding in all the auxiliary, and isolation exercises that are a key part of any bodybuilding regime.

When training strength/power, your muscles shouldn't feel utterly depleted to the same point as with a bodybuilding workout. If you've taken it that far, it likely means the volume is too high for strength gains to be made efficiently, as you'll have done too much muscular damage. Now, this isn't saying that you shouldn't be able to work to feeling pretty smashed after a 5x5 on Bench/Squat/Deadlift/O-Lifts. You should be pushing a weight that for the last couple sets a spotter is needed to help with the last few reps, and you feel demolished in the immediate aftermath of the sets. However, because of the lack of volume, several minutes later, you won't feel that same muscular exhaustion that a bodybuilding workout gives.

You do have to be careful, in feeling that you have a little bit more energy at the end of a strength workout, not to jump into overtraining, as both DOMS (delayed-onset-muscle-soreness) and CNS fatigue can become major issues if one pushes too hard.
Thanks man. Good info

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011

- - - Updated - - -

Ive been working out consistently and bulking the past 3 months and ive noticed a huge change in my overall size.

I was 84.5kg starting out, now I'm at 86.5kg.
Probably doesn't sound like that but my metabolism is pretty high.
First place i notice any change in mass is in my chest, two of my nice shirts no longer fit me :sad:

Have no interest in defined abs in all honesty and i haven't the discipline to restrict my diet completely.
once im bigger and stronger like uncle Zach, thats all that matters to me
He's not huge so I doubt it's steroids. My best guess is that he's been on a caloric deficit for maybe two months while lifting and having noob gains since his muscles were really underdeveloped. His arms went from 12.6 in to 14.2 in 4 months. (I know it doesn't seem like a lot but he lost a lot of fat).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 146)