Gym and fitness (50 Viewers)

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
The tightening of your calves could also be from not hydrating enough throughout the day. Also, take some potassium and magnesium at night.
Usually when going back to running first time, nutrient levels in the body should be sufficient so its likely pure lactic acid buildup.

However @Mr-Chocolate if your problem continue's, then Enron is spot on.

When i'm in a cut, i've had this problem before on my quadriceps

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Because you don't wanna fall on your face? :D
What Jack is referring to, is called "crossing".

When you are as tall as my, and got a massive bone structure, and are accustomed to lifting, and are wearing squatshoes, crossing about 10 centimeters on 95%+ is okay. Especially since i'm quadriceps domminant.

However, Jack has a MUCH tinner bone structure, aka more fragile knees and especially, anckles. Crossing for him is VERY hard on both knee's and ancles. And since he's a featherweight runner, he has very thin ligaments that are build to endure a low load, for a long time, where as my ligaments are very thick, and build to endure a peak weight for short durations

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Thanks for the info, bro. My anckles feel a bit fragile too.
What i'm saying is pretty serious, and the true reason behind 95% of the injuries from not accustomed lifters who squat deep.
They'll tell you its bad for the knee's etc. But thats bullshit. Knee's are at their strongest when you go balls deep. Unless you are crossing, cause then you are putting massive strain on everything.

This is my position, just out of the hole back up on my final squat attempt sunday. As you can see i'm crossing a bit, but not that much, thanks to squatshoes

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
How tight are those shorts, Zach?
Its just a size large 90ties Umbro football shorts.

I want to have as little as possible in the way of my legs when i'm doing squats or deadlifts.
Cause of regulations, i had to wear long trousers on the deadlifts, and it made me nearly hitch out my final attempt.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
Its just a size large 90ties Umbro football shorts.

I want to have as little as possible in the way of my legs when i'm doing squats or deadlifts.
Cause of regulations, i had to wear long trousers on the deadlifts, and it made me nearly hitch out my final attempt.
I understand why that would be difficult brah.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I understand why that would be difficult brah.
Its partially a mental thing whilst squatting, but its an actual issue when deadlifting.

When you are about to lock out, the bar will be against your upper leg. When wearing trousers like i was, the fabric can cluster up and give some resistance to the movement.
Usually in meets, you wear high socks, and a singlet, or very short shorts to avoid this. Problem is exponentially bigger when you are taller

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Because you don't wanna fall on your face? :D
I can squat facing a wall, in other words my knees are never in front of my toes. Body balance is the last thing I am worried about, on Sunday I achieved a 7 second hand stand with the closest wall at least 500 meters away.

Zach, I am 170 and the reason I am asking was because an instructor told me today that I don't have to think about knees and toes but more to avoid lower back bends.

- - - Updated - - -

And talking about gear, the best way to squat is with tights.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I can squat facing a wall, in other words my knees are never in front of my toes. Body balance is the last thing I am worried about, on Sunday I achieved a 7 second hand stand with the closest wall at least 500 meters away.

Zach, I am 170 and the reason I am asking was because an instructor told me today that I don't have to think about knees and toes but more to avoid lower back bends.

- - - Updated - - -

And talking about gear, the best way to squat is with tights.
Crossing is generally worse then lower back bends, but you can train not to have that happen.
If it is an issue, you can do box squats for a while. That REALLY helps to sit back further. I did that after my back injury, and my form has improved quite a bit.
It also transitions very good to hip domminant squat, wich i think you are doing.

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
So, I've been doing a 5 split and I've changed it to a pull/push/legs so I can work out the whole body twice a week. Although giving every muscle group its own day was and completely made me burn that muscle out I thought that I needed to hit the same muscle twice a week. Also I didn't think arms deserved its own day.

- - - Updated - - -

What i'm saying is pretty serious, and the true reason behind 95% of the injuries from not accustomed lifters who squat deep.
They'll tell you its bad for the knee's etc. But thats bullshit. Knee's are at their strongest when you go balls deep. Unless you are crossing, cause then you are putting massive strain on everything.

This is my position, just out of the hole back up on my final squat attempt sunday. As you can see i'm crossing a bit, but not that much, thanks to squatshoes

looking strong as fuck man.

Although, thighs like that is what I want to avoid. I've always had big legs and looking more to get them smaller than anything else.

do you have issues finding good fitted jeans? the big guys at my gym always talk about how they have issues finding good jeans.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
So, I've been doing a 5 split and I've changed it to a pull/push/legs so I can work out the whole body twice a week. Although giving every muscle group its own day was and completely made me burn that muscle out I thought that I needed to hit the same muscle twice a week. Also I didn't think arms deserved its own day.

- - - Updated - - -

looking strong as fuck man.

Although, thighs like that is what I want to avoid. I've always had big legs and looking more to get them smaller than anything else.

do you have issues finding good fitted jeans? the big guys at my gym always talk about how they have issues finding good jeans.
Can you posr your workout, and what day of the week you do them on ? Its very likely that the issue is recovery.

Jeans are truely horrible to find. My quadriceps are massive. Every good fitting trouser needs to be worn with a belt, or they will fall off. On my current pants i got like 10cm of extra space around the waist.
And that is while walking. When sitting down, the quads compress and the pants really press the leg, makign jeans horribly uncomfortable and pretty risky to ride a bicycle with.

What i now got, and i'm extremely happy with it, are jeans that are nicely fitting over the quads, but are made from a stretch fabric, however you cannot see its a stretch at all. They look extremely good, and they are comfortable while sitting or bicycling.
Hence, i can even squat in these pants if i wanted.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Zach those are called "jeggings"... Kind of a hipster chick thing to wear, I don't think you should be confessing to this on the forum man! :p

On a more serious note. Impressive numbers. What's your body weight in relation?

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
Can you posr your workout, and what day of the week you do them on ? Its very likely that the issue is recovery.

Jeans are truely horrible to find. My quadriceps are massive. Every good fitting trouser needs to be worn with a belt, or they will fall off. On my current pants i got like 10cm of extra space around the waist.
And that is while walking. When sitting down, the quads compress and the pants really press the leg, makign jeans horribly uncomfortable and pretty risky to ride a bicycle with.

What i now got, and i'm extremely happy with it, are jeans that are nicely fitting over the quads, but are made from a stretch fabric, however you cannot see its a stretch at all. They look extremely good, and they are comfortable while sitting or bicycling.
Hence, i can even squat in these pants if i wanted.
Hmm, I'll try but I have a hard time naming the different exercises in their English name so I'll try, hopefully you understand.

During my 5 day split 5x7(basically to failure):

Mon: Chest (bench, dumbell bench press, cable crossovers, low cable crossover + some machine to finish off)
Tue: Back (deadlift, cable pulldown, t-row, cable seated row)
Wed: Shoulders (start with some rotator cuff exercises, barbell military press, arnold press, dumbell lateral raise+ finish off with some machine)
Thu: Usually rest
Fri: Arms both biceps and triceps. The usual exercises, do like 3 each for biceps and triceps. Honestly, arm day bores me, I can't be bothered with it. Not motivated and not really interested in big arms either tbh.
Sat: Legs (squats, legs press, leg curls, seated leg curl)

Thing is, I've made a lot of gains and had good results from this split. It's been awesome and I've realised that I can't work out two muscle groups efficiently so therefore going all out on one muscle is better for me. The only problem I have with it is the frequency. I want to see how well I'd do if I started to work out whole body twice a week and thats why I'm going with a push/pull/legs for a few months.

Now with my new schedule I'm trying to do push(chest, shoulders, triceps)/pull(back, biceps, traps)/legs.. I've gone from a 5x7 to a 4x8 and I'm only doing 3 exercises each trying to concentrate on the major exercises and to preserve energy. For example a push day could be regular bench, dumbell bench, some cable exercise, military press, dumbell lateral raise and 2 exercises for triceps.
Push day consists of deadlift, t-rows and cable pulldown for lats, 2 exercises for biceps and 1 for traps, usually shrugs.
Legs are the same as before.

I'm aiming on going push/pull/legs/rest etc..

Also, one other thing you should know about me is that I can go a lot of days without resting. I live so close to the gym and I always find myself going back. I know I should rest but when I'm bored I just go and work out. Many times I've gone around 10-14 days without rest. I've been doing this for 1½ year so I'm not new to this or in risk of burning out, I just always find an hour to work out. But I know rest is important and I will try to force myself to 5 days max.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 32)