Gym and fitness (72 Viewers)

Golazo

★ ★ ★
Sep 1, 2011
I asked a while back for advice but I'm going to need it again. Can anyone like give me a basic woekout schedule? I dont lift but I want to pick it up.
Hi Alex,

This here is your problem.

I can imagine you at the gym for an hour bending down to pick up a weight, then standing back up after deciding against it because it goes against your beliefs of not lifting things.

If you fix this problem, you're already half way there.

Cheers.

Jul 20, 2012
How much time do you have per week and what do you want to gain?
I will only have access to a gym 3 times a week, i do have some dumbells at home and an elliptical for the other days I guess. Ultimately I would like to be in shape but at this point, I am looking to lose weight.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Alex,

This here is your problem.

I can imagine you at the gym for an hour bending down to pick up a weight, then standing back up after deciding against it because it goes against your beliefs of not lifting things.

If you fix this problem, you're already half way there.

Cheers.
Funny :p

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
I will only have access to a gym 3 times a week, i do have some dumbells at home and an elliptical for the other days I guess. Ultimately I would like to be in shape but at this point, I am looking to lose weight.
Losing weight, get yo diet straight. Exercise is important, but it won't get you where you wanna be if you don't have a proper diet. So sort that out.

Okay, so I'll just tell you what I do and open myself to criticism from the experds here (which I look forward to). When you get a programme someone else gives you, eventually you learn what's good for you and you tweak it to suit.

Day 1: Chest & Tri; Day 2: Back & Shoulders; Day 3: Legs & Bi

* when I do 4 sets, they are usually sets of 12, then 10, then 8, 6... or until failure. Others say do 3 sets with higher intensity, but I like it this way.

** as you're now starting, the volume below may be too great, so don't overwork yourself, and don't so much that would discourage from going back. Also, get your form straight before looking to go heavy. SOme exercises, form is more critical or you can injure yourself easily: squats, bench presses.

You can this website to see what exercises you can do for each specific muscle, and there are gifs to show how you to do them - http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Chest: 4 sets flat bench press, 4 sets incline press, 4 sets dumbbell pullover, 4 sets incline dumbbell press, 4 sets of dips (if you can't do up to 12, do until failure)
This routine may be repetitive and over focus on upper chest but I feel that I may have been overdeveloping lower, so now I'm compensating.

Tri: 4 sets kickbacks, 4 sets lying tricep extension, 4 sets cable pushdown

Back: 4 wide grip chin ups, 4 front pulldown, 4 seated high row, 4 bent-over dumbbell rows, 4 hyperextension

Shoulders: 4 dumbbell shoulder presses, 4 lateral raises, 4 rear lateral raise, 4 front raise, 4 seated reverse fly, 4 upright row

Legs: 4 squats, 4 loaded leg press, 4 lunges, 4 leg extension (gonna do away with, apparently is bad for your knees), 4 hamstring curls, 4 seated hip adduction, 4 standing calf raises, 4 seated calf raise with plates (not sure what it's called)

Bi: 4 dumbbell curls, 4 barbell curls, 4 hammer curls

Jul 20, 2012
Losing weight, get yo diet straight. Exercise is important, but it won't get you where you wanna be if you don't have a proper diet. So sort that out.

Okay, so I'll just tell you what I do and open myself to criticism from the experds here (which I look forward to). When you get a programme someone else gives you, eventually you learn what's good for you and you tweak it to suit.

Day 1: Chest & Tri; Day 2: Back & Shoulders; Day 3: Legs & Bi

* when I do 4 sets, they are usually sets of 12, then 10, then 8, 6... or until failure. Others say do 3 sets with higher intensity, but I like it this way.

** as you're now starting, the volume below may be too great, so don't overwork yourself, and don't so much that would discourage from going back. Also, get your form straight before looking to go heavy. SOme exercises, form is more critical or you can injure yourself easily: squats, bench presses.

You can this website to see what exercises you can do for each specific muscle, and there are gifs to show how you to do them - http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Chest: 4 sets flat bench press, 4 sets incline press, 4 sets dumbbell pullover, 4 sets incline dumbbell press, 4 sets of dips (if you can't do up to 12, do until failure)
This routine may be repetitive and over focus on upper chest but I feel that I may have been overdeveloping lower, so now I'm compensating.

Tri: 4 sets kickbacks, 4 sets lying tricep extension, 4 sets cable pushdown

Back: 4 wide grip chin ups, 4 front pulldown, 4 seated high row, 4 bent-over dumbbell rows, 4 hyperextension

Shoulders: 4 dumbbell shoulder presses, 4 lateral raises, 4 rear lateral raise, 4 front raise, 4 seated reverse fly, 4 upright row

Legs: 4 squats, 4 loaded leg press, 4 lunges, 4 leg extension (gonna do away with, apparently is bad for your knees), 4 hamstring curls, 4 seated hip adduction, 4 standing calf raises, 4 seated calf raise with plates (not sure what it's called)

Bi: 4 dumbbell curls, 4 barbell curls, 4 hammer curls
Thanks I appreciate it and regrading dieting, I don't have the patience to count calories so Im not sure how that will work out.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Thanks I appreciate it and regrading dieting, I don't have the patience to count calories so Im not sure how that will work out.
Just cut out junk from your diet and replace it with mawwwwrrrr proteeeeiinnnn :D

Less soda, chips, candy, fast food, flour. Don't have to go hardcore, but the more you can eliminate or reduce the better. And drink plenty water. That alone will get you losing weight. When you add in the resistance exercise, you'll be burning calories (dropping fat) and gaining muscle (adding sexy).

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
:andy2:

:p But doesn't that make you sweat a lot? I'm trying to find a balance between sweating profusely and the cold air giving me an asthma attack too early.
Rofl my bad, I always confuse that.

You won't sweat that bad because it's still cold out. All you really need is a good fitting t-shirt and a hoodie or light jacket on top of it. That's what I used to wear and after five mintutes you don't feel the cold. The gloves and cap are a really good idea too. I didn't wear gloves and the worst part was how cold my hands would get.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, the t-shirt and hoodie is only if the temp is 20 and above. Anything below that and I would stay home and do some squats or something.

Jul 20, 2012
Just cut out junk from your diet and replace it with mawwwwrrrr proteeeeiinnnn :D

Less soda, chips, candy, fast food, flour. Don't have to go hardcore, but the more you can eliminate or reduce the better. And drink plenty water. That alone will get you losing weight. When you add in the resistance exercise, you'll be burning calories (dropping fat) and gaining muscle (adding sexy).
I am not one to eat alot of junk food plus I always drink water, thats all i drink. My problem is self control lol.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
I am not one to eat alot of junk food plus I always drink water, thats all i drink. My problem is self control lol.
Self control with what, food portions?

Chew more, drink a lot of water before and during eating, smaller servings of the potatoes and pasta, bigger servings of the veggies and good meat (not fried or super gravied)

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Rofl my bad, I always confuse that.

You won't sweat that bad because it's still cold out. All you really need is a good fitting t-shirt and a hoodie or light jacket on top of it. That's what I used to wear and after five mintutes you don't feel the cold. The gloves and cap are a really good idea too. I didn't wear gloves and the worst part was how cold my hands would get.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, the t-shirt and hoodie is only if the temp is 20 and above. Anything below that and I would stay home and do some squats or something.
I'll try that then, thanks :tup:. Once I stop with the gloves and hat on I'll probably start sweating sicne I'm usually on the verge of passing out anyway, but it is what it is :p.

Chew more, drink a lot of water before and during eating, smaller servings of the potatoes and pasta, bigger servings of the veggies and good meat (not fried or super gravied)

Jul 20, 2012
I'll try that then, thanks :tup:. Once I stop with the gloves and hat on I'll probably start sweating sicne I'm usually on the verge of passing out anyway, but it is what it is :p.

I Loled

- - - Updated - - -

Italians not eating Pasta is like suicide. Guess I have to try.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 15, Guests: 55)