Gym and fitness (8 Viewers)

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
personally i am trying to tone up so i do bodypump 2-3 times a week, i work a 4-on,4-off split-shift pattern. what i do is cycle to work, around my clients/patients and then cycle home. as i head home i pop into teh gym on 2 of these days and life some heavy weights.

basically i am mixing cardio, high intesnity weights with low-impact high repetition weights so i keep my body guessing as to what is going on

Buy on AliExpress.com

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
personally i am trying to tone up so i do bodypump 2-3 times a week, i work a 4-on,4-off split-shift pattern. what i do is cycle to work, around my clients/patients and then cycle home. as i head home i pop into teh gym on 2 of these days and life some heavy weights.

basically i am mixing cardio, high intesnity weights with low-impact high repetition weights so i keep my body guessing as to what is going on
whats body pump like? they have classes at my gym but i was slightly put off as it seemed like the class ws filled with middle aged women :faq1:

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
whats body pump like? they have classes at my gym but i was slightly put off as it seemed like the class ws filled with middle aged women :faq1:
you gotta get past that,tbh i seen some ladies and thought it would be piss-easy...oh how wrong i was! i have never felt such pain in my muscles before, you basically do low-weight,high-repetition exercises,focusing on all your major muscle groups. you do biceps,triceps,squats,lunges,back work,chest work as well as core work.

the first time you do it you will be sore as hell, i am gradually working up the weight so it is always challenging and there are some pretty fit guys and women that go there

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
Bozi, Rehan, Lion, thanks a lot or the advice, but it's really hard to discuss these things in English for me. I think I'm just gonna join the gym for a couple of months. :(

That's the best thing you can do. Don't feel intimidated by the gym. If this is your first time working out there, don't feel bad if you see girls who can lift more than you do :) or if you don't know how to do an exercise properly. Once you start working out you'll get the feel of the machines and weights, and you'll start understanding what each thing does. My advice is to buy a book or two that tells you about different exercises, and ask people at the gym about their routines, or hire a personal trainer for around a month or 2 to get the hang of the workouts.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

That's the best thing you can do. Don't feel intimidated by the gym. If this is your first time working out there, don't feel bad if you see girls who can lift more than you do :) or if you don't know how to do an exercise properly. Once you start working out you'll get the feel of the machines and weights, and you'll start understanding what each thing does. My advice is to buy a book or two that tells you about different exercises, and ask people at the gym about their routines, or hire a personal trainer for around a month or 2 to get the hang of the workouts.
Now, lets not go overboard. I've never been to a gym but I've always excercised (recreationally) and I ain't no freaking pussy. :D

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
:lol:

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005
edit: which is easier for you guys, doing an incline bench press with dumbells or a barbell?
Sorry for answering your question with another question but...

Is there any kind of calculation available that tells u your bench press based on dumbbell weight/repetition. I know they have online calculators to find out your max bench, but I couldn't find anything from dumbbell to bench.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
I don't understand your question...are you asking how to calculate/determine how much weight you should lift based on the max weight you can bench at one time, an in your 1 repetition maximum (1RM) ??

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005
Is there a way to figure out how much weight u can bench (using a barbell) based on how much weight u bench with dumbbells?

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
well, I would say that here you should use basic logic, at least that's what I do. See how much you can bench for say at least 5 reps in dumbbells (say you can do 100 pounds for example) , now when you switch to a barbell before you add the plates, add in the weight of the empty barbell itself (typically they weight 15-20 pounds) so in this example you would want to add 75-85 pounds to the barbell. Make sure you go with less weight in your first try just to be on the safe side.

doing barbell bench presses should be harder for most peoeple because it requires you to balance 2 different weights at the same time. Some people add a bit more weight when they shift from dumbells to berbells.

did that answer your question?

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005
Thx for the reply. I figured that was the answer I would get. I was taking a shot in the dark to c if there was an easy calculation available, like there is for figuring out your 1 rep max. Every1 Ive asked has more or less told me the same thing.

well, I would say that here you should use basic logic, at least that's what I do. See how much you can bench for say at least 5 reps in dumbbells (say you can do 100 pounds for example) , now when you switch to a barbell before you add the plates, add in the weight of the empty barbell itself (typically they weight 15-20 pounds) so in this example you would want to add 75-85 pounds to the barbell. Make sure you go with less weight in your first try just to be on the safe side.

doing barbell bench presses should be harder for most peoeple because it requires you to balance 2 different weights at the same time. Some people add a bit more weight when they shift from dumbells to berbells.

did that answer your question?
Do u mean dumbbell? I find balancing a bar alot easier than balancing a dumbell in each hand. Just getting the dumbbells into position for a flat bench or incline bench is an exercise in itself lol.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
Thx for the reply. I figured that was the answer I would get. I was taking a shot in the dark to c if there was an easy calculation available, like there is for figuring out your 1 rep max. Every1 Ive asked has more or less told me the same thing.

Do u mean dumbbell? I find balancing a bar alot easier than balancing a dumbell in each hand. Just getting the dumbbells into position for a flat bench or incline bench is an exercise in itself lol.
Yeah I meant dumbbells, lol stupid typo... If you're having trouble lifting the dumbbells, try using a spotter. If you can' lift the weights to your chest, either use your thighs to launch the dumbbells up, or ask your spotter to hand the dumbbells to you.

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005
Incline dumbbell press is the only dumbell excercise I have a little trouble getting into position, so I switched to a smith machine for incline press. I usually prefer dumbbells, since u can push more for your last rep and not worry about getting stuck under the bar lol (never happened to me, but Ive seen ppl do it, its pretty funny)

Just realized you're a fellow citizen of Ottawa. I didn't think any other Juve fans existed in Ottawa.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
best way to bulk up in my opinion is heavyyyy weight training. Maximum reps you should be able to do is 10 and if it doesnt start really hurting by 6 reps then its not heavy enough.
To tone up and improve your cardio just run dudes (& ladies)... unless you cycle recreationally or for transport theres no point in it coz you benefit doubly from running i find and tredmills don't always measure distance properly so outside is the way to go because even when you wanna give up...u still have to fun back to your car or house :p
I don't like the gym, its usually full of really intimidating guys. The last time i went to the gym there was this 60 - 70 yr old who was like amazingly big lol it was prettyyyy funny to look at :p

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
lol and an american told me now YOU were fatter than America! hahaa
its us who are the fattest...depending on what is considered fat

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
So this is my regiment for the next 2 months:

I start running tomorrow :(

I'll get up at 5 in the morning and I'll go for a sprint, followed by a one break between that and eating breakfast. I'll have lunch around 1ish and then no dinner. I'll have an apple or something in the evening but that's about it and I'll drink ca 2 gallons of water throughout the day.

My cousin did it and he lost 30 lbs in 2 months. So hopefully it'll work for me as well.

Wish me luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)