Gym and fitness (136 Viewers)

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
Ive started running(again),and i have this pain in my ankles.Ive had it before too everytiem i resume running after a while.Does anyone know how i can get rid of it quicker?It really makes running.and even sitting at times,pretty uncomfortable.
Listen to Lion's advise. Stop running whenever you feel the pain, but never rest completely. If you feel the pain, bicycle or swim to help strengthen your legs and ankles.

Buy on AliExpress.com

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

I'm working out at home; pure recreational workout, no protein shakes or anything, for about 3 months. I have a bench and something similar to this and this along with a boxing bag. How good of a workout can one do with such equipment? I don't feel like going to a gym, it feels so gay. :D

BTW, what are the names of those 2 machines I linked to? :p

Also, does anyone here punch the bag? I started about 1 month ago and my fists are killing me. I really hit hard and don't save myself doing it, I punch twice a week for 30mins. I use bandage for hands and 10oz boxing gloves. Is this normal and how long will it continue?

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
Also, does anyone here punch the bag? I started about 1 month ago and my fists are killing me. I really hit hard and don't save myself doing it, I punch twice a week for 30mins. I use bandage for hands and 10oz boxing gloves. Is this normal and how long will it continue?
Is it your fist itself or further up on the wrist? Doing push ups with closed fists helps many boxers.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
vlatko the machines you have should give you an excellent workout and as they are at home you cannot use the "can't be arsed going to the gym excuse" just make sure you do a good variety of exercises and you will be fine.
plus i have a punch-bag, great cardio workout but my dog goes fucking nuts when i use it so it is currently gathering dust

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
I'm working out at home; pure recreational workout, no protein shakes or anything, for about 3 months. I have a bench and something similar to this and this along with a boxing bag. How good of a workout can one do with such equipment? I don't feel like going to a gym, it feels so gay. :D

Bag work is very good, i initially had problems with my wrists bending, not so much fist pain, doing knuckle pressups will strengthen ur fist (not so good when you get old though) 10oz gloves are ok, but the heavier the glove, the stronger and faster your punch will be when you take them off

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

vlatko the machines you have should give you an excellent workout and as they are at home you cannot use the "can't be arsed going to the gym excuse" just make sure you do a good variety of exercises and you will be fine.
plus i have a punch-bag, great cardio workout but my dog goes fucking nuts when i use it so it is currently gathering dust
The only downside is, I don't know if I'm doing the excercises properly and wether there is enough variety in my routine(I've never been to the gym). Do you know of some online material to checkout?

Yep, the bag is awesome, I love punching it. I just hope my fists get used to it so I can do it more regulary.
Bag work is very good, i initially had problems with my wrists bending, not so much fist pain, doing knuckle pressups will strengthen ur fist (not so good when you get old though) 10oz gloves are ok, but the heavier the glove, the stronger and faster your punch will be when you take them off
Will try knuckle pressups, I did regular pressups up until now, never figured changing it.

Well the guy at the store said, 10oz would be just right for me and he looked like he could smite me with one punch so I took his word for granted. :D

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
V, you lucky bastard you have everything you need for workout. Only you maybe need "vratilo" (hell, I don't how to say it in english).

I've stopped with training almost two months ago, now I'm waiting to buy Benchpress and put it in my room and than I will train againg and probably buy some whey protein, creatine, amino acids or smth like that. And like Bozi said I will not have an excuse to miss training. I'm 1.81 tall and around 78-79kg weight, my goal is to build a lean muscle and weight around 85kg.

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
The only downside is, I don't know if I'm doing the excercises properly and wether there is enough variety in my routine(I've never been to the gym). Do you know of some online material to checkout?

Yep, the bag is awesome, I love punching it. I just hope my fists get used to it so I can do it more regulary.

Will try knuckle pressups, I did regular pressups up until now, never figured changing it.

Well the guy at the store said, 10oz would be just right for me and he looked like he could smite me with one punch so I took his word for granted. :D
yea, 10oz is fine, it's just the weight, however think logically, if you can can punch hard and fast with 16oz gloves, life is going to be easy if u get into a fight, but it's all about progression, when u find ur punching very easily, make the step up, knuckle pressups have some advantages as ur elevated more and get more of a stretch on the chest and it really strengthens you wrists and knuckles giving you a strong punch but at the same time don't over do it, you dont want to be getting arthiritis later on in life

in terms of the bag, i hope your doing specific things not just randomly throwing punches for fun, work on set things, jab, straights, hooks etc, and also do freestyles, do differnt types of rounds e.g. 1 min rounds of pure power to get those knockout punches, other rounds of speed, 3 min rounds of paced out punching to get your stamina good

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007

The first machine looks like a cable pushdown/flys hybrid. I just call the 2nd one a board.

The cable pusdown is very useful. You can use it to work your upper back, biceps, and triceps. The boarsd is mostly for abs workouts.

Tbh you can't really do much workout with those. The machine is mostly used for isolate type excerices, and while it is important, it is not what a beginner or home excericser wants to focus on.

The bench helps. I assume you have a barbell and weight plates? If not then get some, 5 kgs, 10 kgs, and 15, and 20 kgs for starters.

No machine substitues free weights (barbells, dumbbells). The reason is because they bring more body parts into workouts, and pretty much all upper body workouts (and some leg ones) can be done with dumbells. Machines are used to isolate body parts into specific workouts. So with free weights you get the best workout possible, and that's what you want

My suggestion though is to really join a gym. Unless you have a complete home gym, you'll be missing out on some excellent machines and other benefits of gyms. You don't have to join a fancy gym, even the old rusty smelly cheap gym will do, as they contain the most things you need for a workout. I don't know how much it costs to get in a gym for a few months but, here you can get into a gym for 2 months for the cost of a new video game.

Not to mention you get to meet good people, and get advice from other guys who work out.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
Depends on what you are doing with the machine, and if you have a different weight plates for a barbell. But it doesn't seem like it, besides even if you were, you'd hit a plateau after while because you'd be doing the same exercises with the same tools.

OP
HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter #215
    Get good running shoes to absorb impact, there are some running shoes made specifically for absorbing impact from asphalt. They cost more, but they's ease the pain a little. Do some research on running shoes from different companies.

Or stop running on asphalt. Why are you running anyway?
    The problem isnt Asphalt.Ive had it on mud too.And im running to lose weight.

Listen to Lion's advise. Stop running whenever you feel the pain, but never rest completely. If you feel the pain, bicycle or swim to help strengthen your legs and ankles.
    Ive had ankle pain while running in the past too,but it ends up going away after some time.So i figured its just like the body aches you have when you first stary gym..your body isnt use to the excercise,so the muscles take time in adjusting.I think this is what the problem is this time too.I started running 2 weeks ago.The first 1-2 days were fine,but i felt pain in my ankles after that.Im assuming that it'll go away in a week or so.

pavelnedved

official nedved copy
    Jul 15, 2006
    i went to gym twice a week until my exams started. i like it anyway, mens sana in corpore sano [i don't do that --->:vinny: <--- though]

salman you have a u2 signature :heart:

malducato1

Dec 26, 2005

This site has good info. The page I linked sould show all the bodyparts. Click on a bodypart and it will show you the exercise and it also has videos of the exercise so you can see if your doing it right.

http://bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    If it's pain because your body is tired you should know, even if you don't work out regularly. There's a difference between being a bit sore and having a serious ankle problem. If your ankles get swollen, I would definitely go see someone. If not, it all depends on the pain level. Still, if you're new to working out or running and you don't know what pain is normal, it's better to have it checked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 128)