Gunners recruit one of Holland's best talents (1 Viewer)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Gunners recruit after all

Arsenal have made an offer for Feyenoord winger Robin van Persie, a spokesman for the Dutch club said on Tuesday. Feyenoord's external affairs manager Jan De Swart said the English premier league leaders were keen to sign the 20-year-old before the end of January, when the transfer window closes.

"Arsenal have made a serious opening offer and our president, Jorien van den Herik, has already responded," Swart said.

"This offer can be considered a serious base for further negotiations."

Van Persie's contract with the Rotterdam-based team ends midway through 2005 and despite several attempts by the club he has failed to agree an extension.

"Robin has informed Feyenoord that he will not extend his contract," said Van Persie's advisor and spokesman, Erwin Boonacker. "For Robin it is a dream to continue his career abroad with a top team."

"In December, Robin was visited by an Arsenal representative and we informed Feyenoord about the interest from London."

"At the moment we are not negotiating but when Feyenoord and Arsenal reach an agreement, we will start negotiations with Arsenal."

Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger had hinted that the Premiership leaders would probably steer clear of major signings during the January transfer window.

Taken from www.eurosport.com

---------------------------------------------------------

Son of a crap! :( As if it's not bad enough that one of the brightest stars on the Eredivisie pitches is leaving, he's leaving to ARSENAL. :frown:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Hem Hem,*trying to show the presence of an Arsenal fan*
That would be great,but i understand that he wants to play with a major team,but he might not be too optimistic about Arsenal.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Matto, and indeed anyone who's seen van Persie play extensively, is he good enough to oust Freddie Ljungberg?

Even if he isn't, Wiltord is expected to leave on a free at the end of the season, so there's going to be a vacency on the bench.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
At least it's not VdV *somewhat relieved*
We dont give a damn about that bastard,some one who wants to play for Man utd ought to be punished by the law.

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
Matto, and indeed anyone who's seen van Persie play extensively, is he good enough to oust Freddie Ljungberg?
Van Persie is left-sided so I guess it's 'is he good enough to oust Pires' rather than 'Ljungberg' :)

OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #11
    He plays on the left flank for Feyenoord and I'm positive he can outplay Pires. The kid is really something!

His favourite position is behind the strikers but he hasn't played an awful lot there due to left flank problems at Feyenoord. I reckon Arsene Wenger also wants him because he can play two positions. The few times I've seen him play as playmaker I was very impressed and I dare even say he could measure himself with Van der Vaart in that position.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
    Van Persie is left-sided so I guess it's 'is he good enough to oust Pires' rather than 'Ljungberg' :)
    :oops:

++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++
    He plays on the left flank for Juve and I'm positive he can outplay Pires. The kid is really something!
    Juve? I don't think you can blame this one on mistranslation Erik! ;)

Don't underestimate how hard it might be to get past Pires. On the other hand, Bergkamp is almost certain to retire at the end of the season, so maybe he could do a job there?

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #13
    Juve? I don't think you can blame this one on mistranslation Erik! ;)
    Ah nuts ... That was a dream of mine finding its way out through the keyboard I'm afraid :D

Don't underestimate how hard it might be to get past Pires. On the other hand, Bergkamp is almost certain to retire at the end of the season, so maybe he could do a job there?
    Well obviously I wouldn't expect him to take over Pires in one season, it would take much longer than that but he has the potential :)

I've heard the playmaker suggestion before (about Bergkamp retiring) and though I'm sure he could play a role there, I'm not sure I'd like that. We already have Van der Vaart and Sneyder in AM positions for the Dutch NT...

But yes, he could do it.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
    No to dial .. no

Dial are a team where if you dont break in straight away , you are screwed and will be left to rot

He should either look for a big team that will give him a fair go or move to a smaller team in one of the big three leagues to learn and prove hes good enough... So as then he will be ready to walk straight into a starting line up

So I mean bigger as in overall, not nes a bigger team

Jul 12, 2002
    I think that it's a bullshit rumour, but if it would happen, it would be good for both parties. VP could easily break into the Arsenal team at any number of positions. It'd be a goos acquisiition for Arsene, but only if they do not spend a lot on him, because they need some defenders.

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Shadowfax ] ++
    Its not a bullshit rumour... Its been confirmed by both parties that an offer has been made
    Yeah, I read all that, but I think this is not ever going to happen. I doubt that Arsenal have made an offer that Feyenoord are willing to look at.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)