Guitar thread (4 Viewers)

Apr 15, 2006
Like many other genres of music, metal is a form of expression. When you are angry and full of rage, expressing them via blues, hip-hop or jazz may not "feel" the same compared to metal with its powerful, screaming vocals, crunching guitar riffs, thumping bass and aggressive drumming. Plus as a teenager, metal was more of an act of rebellion against mainstream, commercial music that felt very shallow, repetitive and manufactured with lyrics focusing on stupid shit like partying, relationships, happiness and how great you're feeling. Metal was just a great way of experiencing music that is diverse in almost every aspect, be it lyrics, structure, arrangements, time signatures or track lists. It was the ultimate "fuck you" to the safe standards placed on mainstream music. And I LOVED that!

Yea, you may not get it just like how I don't get rap and hip-hop. And that's OK. But maybe you'll give it another chance when you grow older and maybe it'll speak to you better than it is now.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Yeah maybe, everything is possible, but I doubt it. I got the blues :) Anyway, you say it's diverse and everything, but to me I hear just one big ball of sonic mayhem which has no difference to the next :p You say pop songs, but to me metal is the same just on the other side of spectrum.

Anyway, I like your description of metal, and I can get and understand that. Just like guitarists thank god for many genre :)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
In the "What could've been" department. This kid was well on his way with being mentioned among the all time greats, until he got ALS when he was 20. He's still alive and composing music to this day. He is 17 in this video

Apr 15, 2006
I never got hooked onto Jason's music. I knew people who went nuts at all his skill n taunt, but I really couldn't see past the shredding, which I good to be quite boring. Same with Malmsteen and Tosin Abasi. I get that they pushed the envelope of what one can do with the guitar, but it was never really my thing.

I probably did a bit like Raz right now, but give me melodic, interesting music from Satriani or Vai any day over shred metal.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I never got hooked onto Jason's music. I knew people who went nuts at all his skill n taunt, but I really couldn't see past the shredding, which I good to be quite boring. Same with Malmsteen and Tosin Abasi. I get that they pushed the envelope of what one can do with the guitar, but it was never really my thing.

I probably did a bit like Raz right now, but give me melodic, interesting music from Satriani or Vai any day over shred metal.
I think with Jason, you kind of have to give him the benefit of the doubt, considering that he was considered a prodigy at 16, and was in David Lee Roth's band, playing guitar on A Little Ain't Enough at 21, and then being diagnosed with ALS at that same age. He couldn't even play guitar anymore by the middle of 1991. I don't know if you've listened to any of his stuff that he composed once he got the disease, but here is his solo album "Perspective" that came out in 1996, that he wrote and composed himself while confined to a wheelchair and losing the ability to speak. He was going to develop into so much more than a shredder, and I think that this album shows what could have been.

It was the first album written and composed by someone with ALS. And if the vocals on the first song sound familiar, that 's because it's the great Steve Perry :D

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
I've been learning guitar since the start of the year. Right now I have a Yamaha FG 800 Acoustic, but I want to get a Strat by the end of the year. I'm undecided between the Mexican standard and the Deluxe. Any recommendations?

OP
ZoSo

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
  • Thread Starter #610
    I've been learning guitar since the start of the year. Right now I have a Yamaha FG 800 Acoustic, but I want to get a Strat by the end of the year. I'm undecided between the Mexican standard and the Deluxe. Any recommendations?
    any mexican strats except the standards are good. they're not bad guitars but the stock pickups suck huge ass and they just seem a bit less quality compared to the rest of the mim strats I've tried. you could find something better second hand for cheaper even. I've got a 'deluxe super strat' from the 90s, similar to the current deluxe and a pretty nice guitar.

clapton

May 9, 2014
    whats up people, can you help a fellow juventino to win a guitar? :)

I entered this Instagram competition over 2 months ago and now they've chosen 5 finalists. I need some votes and its simple to do it. you just have to have an instagram account and type #3 in the comments of these 2 posts:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BZjXYC9hS_z/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZjzErsFC-3/

thank you in advance and please share it between your friends on instagram if its not too much hassle. :)

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
    whats up people, can you help a fellow juventino to win a guitar? :)

I entered this Instagram competition over 2 months ago and now they've chosen 5 finalists. I need some votes and its simple to do it. you just have to have an instagram account and type #3 in the comments of these 2 posts:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BZjXYC9hS_z/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZjzErsFC-3/

thank you in advance and please share it between your friends on instagram if its not too much hassle. :)
    not a single juve-related post on your insta, and you call yourself a fan?!

(just voted below both posts, nice job :tup: )

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    I'm thinking about getting a starter guitar for my son in a couple of years. Does anyone have any suggestions?

And don't say "Fender Stratocaster with a Whammy Bar"

That would be for me if I decide to learn how to play :D

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
    i bought an ibanez mikro for my son. he's not even 3, and i have no idea if he's ever going to have the intention to play guitar, still, it's a fun instrument even for adults.

according to my luthier buddy, most short-scale guitars would do the trick, these are basically all the same regarding qc, usability and tuning/upgrade potential: squier mini strat, ibanez mikro, jackson minion series, esp/ltd junior, whatever. these are mostly made in china for their sub-$150 price, still, after a pro setup, a short scale guitar will offer acceptable tuning stability and nice tones. amp-wise, pick whatever you like, a roland cube, a yamaha thr or a line6 spider practice amp might be fine.

the attached pic shows the one i got for my kid (the guitar below is my 25,5" scale jackson slsmg for size comparison)

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)