Guitar thread (6 Viewers)

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Clapton at cream was at his best.

Better? IMO there is no such thing in music. Unless you try to copy something then you can judge, but once they are doing their own thing it's impossible to say who is better. You can prefer and like one to other but saying who's better is not right imo.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Clapton at cream was at his best.

Better? IMO there is no such thing in music. Unless you try to copy something then you can judge, but once they are doing their own thing it's impossible to say who is better. You can prefer and like one to other but saying who's better is not right imo.
Then whats with the avatar?

OP
ZoSo

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
  • Thread Starter #594
    :D

You don't seem to get what I'm saying.. Better? How do you judge who is better? And why are you so keen to say who is better then Clapton? :p
    Hendrix wrote much more interesting music

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
    of course he did. he's not my favorite guitarist, but hendrix is still numero uno.

every rock/metal guitarist from the last 20-30 years is basically hendrix + iommi + van halen + malmsteen. tosin abasi might be an exception, tho.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    Hendrix wrote much more interesting music
    Interesting? How you equate interesting to better? Because interesting is very subjective and better is not.

I prefer young Johnny Winters to Hendrix, does it make one better then other? No.

- - - Updated - - -

of course he did. he's not my favorite guitarist, but hendrix is still numero uno.

every rock/metal guitarist from the last 20-30 years is basically hendrix + iommi + van halen + malmsteen. tosin abasi might be an exception, tho.
    I don't get metal at all. Anything past Iron Maden I just don't get, I just don't get why would anyone want to do this. All the new stuff is just beyond my comprehension - scooped mids on guitar gigantic sonic mayhem and a lot of screaming. I really can't comment on anything in that genre :D

OP
    ZoSo

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
  • Thread Starter #597
    Interesting? How you equate interesting to better? Because interesting is very subjective and better is not.
    Well it's almost objective that you can say Hendrix wrote more interesting music. His music incorporated many more styles and was way more diverse than Cream where it was pretty much different variations on the same blues rock the whole time.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    Well it's almost objective that you can say Hendrix wrote more interesting music. His music incorporated many more styles and was way more diverse than Cream where it was pretty much different variations on the same blues rock the whole time.
    You do know what interesting and objective means? Why is there a need to say who is better? It's music and art there is no real better.

To me I would choose Cream over Hendrix, I like it more. Do I have to like Hendrix more cos he's more interesting and better to you, does everybody have to agree with you that Hendrix is better because it's more interesting to you? What is the point you're trying to say here? That you have some superior knowledge and right to judge who is best? Best in what?

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
    I don't get metal at all. Anything past Iron Maden I just don't get, I just don't get why would anyone want to do this. All the new stuff is just beyond my comprehension - scooped mids on guitar gigantic sonic mayhem and a lot of screaming. I really can't comment on anything in that genre :D
    i see. if you like cream or led zep, you might dig some black sabbath, soundgarden, rush, jane's addiction, alice in chains... and sabbath, aic are metal af.

metal is a very diverse genre. i guess your main issue with some metal music might be the vocals. some singers like dickinson, sammy hagar, dio or russell allen are brilliant singers. vocals in metal can be like day and night. for instance, morbid angel and judas priest are metal, too, and they couldn't be any more different:

symphony x is metal, too, without screaming and sonic mayhem:

scooped mids are a metal thing, iron maiden do that, too.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    Yeah, vocal to me are from wtf zone :D But rest of the band and gazzilion of notes per second is another. Sabbath, Maiden I can get.

To be honest I didn't listened a lot to metal and to know which style is what, but I had a roommate in my uni years who did listen to metal to calm down (shocking for me :D). And now I have a drummer in my band who used to be a metal fan or so, and when he showed all these metal things - I just don't get it. I did get a good laugh of a song (really dunno what genre of metal it was from) that was 50 or so minutes long and it just same damn thing throughout it all going through a intense and romantic periods every 7 or 10 minutes :D

And besides that I don't know any genre that would have so much subgenres. Though mostly to me they like an apples from the same tree :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)