Guglielmo Stendardo (6 Viewers)

Arvin

Juve Star
Dec 30, 2004
Stendardo’s Juve delight

Monday 28 January, 2008

Guglielmo Stendardo has spoken of his pride at joining Juventus on loan from Lazio for the remainder of the campaign.

The Biancocelesti man fell out with Coach Delio Rossi earlier in the campaign and has been frozen out in the Eternal City.

Juventus were looking to strengthen their back line and need to replace Jean-Alain Boumsong - who has been sent out on loan to Lyon – ahead of the arrival of Swedish international Olof Mellberg in July.

“I’m happy to have this opportunity and I think this will also make my relatives happy,” Stendardo grinned after completing his move.

“To play for a club like this - one of the most glorious in the world - is a cause for pride. Over the next five months I will do my best to give the team a hand.”

Stendardo is likely to make his debut in the Coppa Italia against Inter on Wednesday evening.

“It will be an important game against one of the best sides in Europe,” he declared.

“I am at the Coach’s disposal. We spoke on the telephone and I thanked him for this chance.

“Here I already know some of my new teammates such as Raffaele Palladino, Emanuele Belardi, Mario Marchionni and Cristian Molinaro.

“I have chosen the No 25 shirt. I have almost always worn No 2, but in Salerno I wore No 5, so I combined the two.”

Stendardo is almost certain to return to Lazio once his loan period expires in the summer as the Aquile have set a £6.5m price tag for a permanent switch.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Stendardo is an okay player, maybe a little above the average for a Serie A defender. What I do like about him is that he never gets outmuscled and rarely is beaten in the air, the latter aspect of defending being something we have lacked over the years. So those attributes of Stendardo will certainly come in handy. But as far as his marking and tackling skills, I'm not so sure. Hopefully he will turn out to be a good addition and not make too many mistakes back there.

If he does indeed perform for us, we will have a strong and fearless (hopefully) centerback pair in Chiellini and Stendardo until Andrade is ready to play again.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Does this mean Molinaro will move to the bench once Chiellini is healed? :drool:
I don't think so. Chiellini is fantastic in the center and that's where I believe we should field him. But the thing is, I don't like fielding Molinaro either so unless we sign a left-back, something we desperately need, I suppose we are stuck with that useless hag fooling around on the left flank.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Stendardo is an okay player, maybe a little above the average for a Serie A defender. What I do like about him is that he never gets outmuscled and rarely is beaten in the air, the latter aspect of defending being something we have lacked over the years. So those attributes of Stendardo will certainly come in handy. But as far as his marking and tackling skills, I'm not so sure. Hopefully he will turn out to be a good addition and not make too many mistakes back there.

If he does indeed perform for us, we will have a strong and fearless (hopefully) centerback pair in Chiellini and Stendardo until Andrade is ready to play again.
If we let him play to his strengths, i.e going out to attack the ball, and let Legro play as more of a sweeper to clear up after him, we should have a good enough partnership to see us through the next wee while.

I doubt his move will become permanent.

Christina

vanilla pudding
Aug 21, 2006
I don't think so. Chiellini is fantastic in the center and that's where I believe we should field him. But the thing is, I don't like fielding Molinaro either so unless we sign a left-back, something we desperately need, I suppose we are stuck with that useless hag fooling around on the left flank.
Ugh. :moan:

Anyway, welcome Stendardo.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
If we let him play to his strengths, i.e going out to attack the ball, and let Legro play as more of a sweeper to clear up after him, we should have a good enough partnership to see us through the next wee while.

I doubt his move will become permanent.
Stendardo strikes me as the sort of player to just sit there in the center of the defense and head balls out of the box, sort of like Barzagli. He should be good at that at least.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)