Group C

• England

• USA

• Algeria

• Slovenia

Results are only viewable after voting.

juve2

Apr 16, 2010

Watch the video a US player pushed a slovenian player right before the judge and he whistles (0:35-0:40). That happened before all the pushing by the Slovenian players.

Maybe a right call afterall? But hard to see

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Yes. I used to be a referee. And was fairly prone to giving cards. Used to lead tourneys I reffed at in reds and yellows given.

That wasn't either. Dempsey beat the player to the ball and won the header. However, he flailed his arms and made contact with the Slovenia. So a foul was given. Unfortunatley the Slovenians mistook it for a Russian invasion and rushed the field making the molehill into an imaginary mountain.

A card on any foul is referee discretion.
It was difficult to tell. If you go up you always use your arms to some extent, because of basic physics, but I felt Dempsey was a bit agressive. It was probably clumsy more than anything else though, don't think he should have been sent off.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I am quite happy with Algeria's result here, a draw against England is always a good result imo. They are going to pay the price for losing against Slovenia though, because now they have to beat the US, which we all know is an extremely tough team to beat. Algeria's problem is they don't have a decent enough striker that is capable of scoring goals, and that for me is the reason they have difficulties winning games.

I actually think there is a big possibility that England will not be able to beat Slovenia, then depending on the US - Algeria game outcome, England could very well be knocked out from the first round.

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
Same here. Now all is needed is an english draw in their last match with the Algerian winning over the americans and the dream could become a reality :touched:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I am quite happy with Algeria's result here, a draw against England is always a good result imo. They are going to pay the price for losing against Slovenia though, because now they have to beat the US, which we all know is an extremely tough team to beat. Algeria's problem is they don't have a decent enough striker that is capable of scoring goals, and that for me is the reason they have difficulties winning games.

I actually think there is a big possibility that England will not be able to beat Slovenia, then depending on the US - Algeria game outcome, England could very well be knocked out from the first round.
I don't know why the Algerians didn't push for the win though. This draw suits the English far better than it suits them. All England have to do now is win against Slovenia and it's a team I can see them overpower. What England should do is play kick and rush as that's what they're good at.

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
I don't know why the Algerians didn't push for the win though. This draw suits the English far better than it suits them. All England have to do now is win against Slovenia and it's a team I can see them overpower. What England should do is play kick and rush as that's what they're good at.
:agree: England will go through easily

Sep 14, 2003
As horrible as England have been, I feel the Slovenians will bottle it. I think losing the 2 goal lead will have a negative effect on them.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Spot on. Every single word.

I doubt that losing the 2 goal lead will have such a negative effect on the Slovenians. We didn't call them Yugo-Germans for nothing. They'll easily get over it. But what they can't really find a cure for so easily is a kick and rush game. Where they will have to compensate lack of speed and strength.

The ex-Yu teams, and ex-Yugoslavia as a whole, rarely did well against England, but there are such cases where it happened (Croatia beat them twice in 2006 and 2007, Macedonia got two draws in England in the last decade). On all those matches it was visible how big problems we had with fast and physically strong players who don't rape the ball but simply kick it and run for it. But sometimes with big efficiency we did manage to score and even beat them.
The Slovenians will need huge luck. They will have to be extremely efficient and hope that the English players will do a Podolski from the match vs Serbia.

Putting it that way, Slovenia's biggest chance to proceed is the USA not to win.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I can understand why Algeria didn't push for the win, even if they really needed it. They are paying for the loss against Slovenia though, a draw against England is always a good result for a team with the status of Algeria.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)