Greek Election (2 Viewers)

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
I feel like going greek tomorrow

Loan all the money, purchase insane house w pool, big car, pay no taxes, then cannot repay loan and become angry at the bank who gave me the loan.
Let me fix this.

Loan all the money, purchase insane house w pool, big car, pay no taxes, then cannot repay loan and become angry at the bank who gave me the loan, take EU money to fix my situation, do little to nothing to actually fix it, leave EU.

:p.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013

Loan all the money, purchase insane house w pool, big car, pay no taxes, then cannot repay loan and become angry at the bank who gave me the loan.
Thing is, a state is something entirely different from a private household or company. It got fundamentally different aims, differs in terms of how it is set-up economically, and how it is run.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
:tup:

The situation with the eurozone is a tidbit complicated if you've got no background knowledge to it, and I'm gonna go to bed in a few minutes, but the worst mistake when introducing it was imo to introduce a common currency and therefore monetary policy, without also harmonising fiscal policy, inflation and wage development. This lead to pretty worrying divergences between north & south Europe in terms of trade balance, unit labor costs, etc., and coupled with the worst financial crisis the world has seen since the 30es and a few specific problems in some of the southern European countries (e.g. corruption, inefficient tax system, tax evasion), has created some huge problems.
This is by far one of the if not the biggest mistake, right from the very beginning. Then again, I highly doubt Germany/France would allow austerity in their countries (iirc a couple of times ago Germany told IMF to fuck off when they proposed new set of plans).

But it's pretty hilarious how people think that joining the EU will instantly solve all of the problem, especially when we're talking about countries in development. We've seen what happened with Romania and Bulgaria.

Romania is probably a better and more drastic example. Ever since they started talks about joining the EU in the 1993 up till 2005 their debt has increased drastically. In '93 their debt was around 4 billion euros while in 2005 it was around 35 billion euros. When they joined their debt instantly increased for 7 billions. After 2010 their debt was swimming in the waters of over 125 billion euros. We've also seen a huge foreign trade deficit as well since they joined (it went from 1 up to 8 billion). Then we've seen started austerity to 'help them' which resulted bigger VAT, bigger inflation and a 30% loss of purchasing power. Their population decreased while many also left the country.

And Romania is not the only example. It's incredible what some countries do and how much they have fallen due to the EU. What's even more pathetic is that I'm seeing Serbia lick EU balls for years now which is literally a sinking ship in my books ever since it was created. It was a good plan but it was executed poorly. I'd rather save myself and turn to the East now.

I don't think such picture shows much tbh. I'm sure we'd see some crazy numbers from Serbia there if they dared to show extra hours that people do here.

- - - Updated - - -

:p

What you say is funny.

But it's a lot more deeper than that. Greek's situation was rather painted since they had horrible numbers on their part and they NEVER passed what EU asks in order to join them. To me it looked like a move to destroy Greece and they managed to do it while Goldman Sachs took the profit in their pockets.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
I don't think such picture shows much tbh. I'm sure we'd see some crazy numbers from Serbia there if they dared to show extra hours that people do here.
It shows a whole lot in terms of what Zach was claiming. Which was that Greek people are lazy. They clearly aren't.

If you want to look at with more professional eyes, you'd look into productivity and employment rates, which is one of the reasons why Greeks who are employed work so many hours, they are low on both categories.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
It shows a whole lot in terms of what Zach was claiming. Which was that Greek people are lazy. They clearly aren't.

If you want to look at with more professional eyes, you'd look into productivity and employment rates, which is one of the reasons why Greeks who are employed work so many hours, they are low on both categories.
You are an easy person to get on a horse

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
And Romania is not the only example. It's incredible what some countries do and how much they have fallen due to the EU. What's even more pathetic is that I'm seeing Serbia lick EU balls for years now which is literally a sinking ship in my books ever since it was created. It was a good plan but it was executed poorly. I'd rather save myself and turn to the East now.
Have the countries fallen due to EU or terrible domestic decisions in terms of political and economical reforms?

EU is flawed primarily from a Democratic view point and the Monetary Union lacks coherent fiscal policies, but the Internal Market of EU is a success story. So much that many anti-EU parties want to stay within the Market while leaving the Union.

And why would you want to look towards Russia (solely). Russias Economy is fragile and shitty. Unless you mean China in which case I get it even less.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007

I don't agree with that. It's a stereotype that has been given to them for over 30 years. :p

It's usually cause they rely on tourism as far as I know. I've heard that even before Germany labeled them as lazy. They can't be lazy since they have 30% more working hours compared to Germans. It's a thing more involved with productivity. But then again, productivity itself is not related to being smart or stupid, being skilled or having virtues. It's much more complex than that and it's problems with infrastructure, institutions, bad and corrupted public sector and no social trust. It's a problem of their roots and structure of the country, elite having a monopoly and banks taking the crumbs. So no, I don't think Greeks are lazy. I think it was invented by those who think they are the best workers and ego maniacs.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
It's usually cause they rely on tourism as far as I know. I've heard that even before Germany labeled them as lazy. They can't be lazy since they have 30% more working hours compared to Germans. It's a thing more involved with productivity. But then again, productivity itself is not related to being smart or stupid, being skilled or having virtues. It's much more complex than that and it's problems with infrastructure, institutions, bad and corrupted public sector and no social trust. It's a problem of their roots and structure of the country, elite having a monopoly and banks taking the crumbs. So no, I don't think Greeks are lazy. I think it was invented by those who think they are the best workers and ego maniacs.
:agree:

Humans like to have simple explanations to complicated matters. "Lazy" is far easier to understand than what you wrote for many people :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)