Greatest player of all time and why (1 Viewer)

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
I know about the Barcelona bit and why he left.Im just surprised that a player of his quality didnt go for a european giant at the time.Ive read something along the lines of Napoli's owner requesting the fans to chip in the money for Maradona's transfer.I dont know if thats true though.
Well thats when the Cammora came in ;)

OP
denco

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #285
    Denco you seem to have a fair bit of knowledge on Maradona.I was wondering why he moved to Napoli?For a player of his quality,clubs from all across Europe would have lined up for him.And yet he selected a club that hadnt won a scudetto in its history,forgoing the chance to play for teams like Juve,Milan,Liverpool etc.I really dont know if these teams were interested in him at the time, though.He had discipline issues,but i still find it somewhat preplexing that teams bigger than Napoli would not have shown some serious interest in him.Also ive read that doubts remain over the legality of his Napoli transfer to this day.Something along the lines of the Napoli board carrying out the transfer in an illlegal way or something,because apparently they did not have enough money to afford Maradona,yet they did.That true?
    He left barcelona principally because of Terry venables being appointed manager and because of the Falklands islands nonsense and he would not have played under an English manager. Also he had stated in the past that barcelona treat Argentines as second class citizens but Maradona struck me as a player that demanded total love and he would give you everything. I may be wrong but I dont think he would have played for a club just for the money, you had to love him unconditionally. Thats why you see him with Boca juniors and Argentina.

How many other greats do you see doing that? I am sure if he could he would do the same for napoli as well

Napoli's appeal comes due to the fact that they are possibly the closest place he could get to Buernos aires in Europe in terms of ways of thinking and italy in general has always appealed to Argentines because of their close affinity.

Juventus had a chance to get him before Boca juniors but apparently like with Brazilian Ronaldo we rejected the idea. I dont know anything about method of payment as regards Napoli

But the funniest story is that at 14 or 15 he was offered to Sheffield United but they said no way would Maradona develop into a great player, the amount they were offering was also too small and instead went for Alex sabella.

Its like when Blackburn chairman telling Kenny Dalglish that why does he want to sign Zizou when they have Tim Sherwood.

Inter Milan having 2 brothers on their books, kept the senior 1 and let the junior 1 to leave. The junior 1 was Franco baresi of cos

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
    Well thats when the Cammora came in ;)
    I love the Cammora:D

He left barcelona principally because of Terry venables being appointed manager and because of the Falklands islands nonsense and he would not have played under an English manager. Also he had stated in the past that barcelona treat Argentines as second class citizens but Maradona struck me as a player that demanded total love and he would give you everything. I may be wrong but I dont think he would have played for a club just for the money, you had to love him unconditionally. Thats why you see him with Boca juniors and Argentina.

How many other greats do you see doing that? I am sure if he could he would do the same for napoli as well

Napoli's appeal comes due to the fact that they are possibly the closest place he could get to Buernos aires in Europe in terms of ways of thinking and italy in general has always appealed to Argentines because of their close affinity.

Juventus had a chance to get him before Boca juniors but apparently like with Brazilian Ronaldo we rejected the idea. I dont know anything about method of payment as regards Napoli

But the funniest story is that at 14 or 15 he was offered to Sheffield United but they said no way would Maradona develop into a great player, the amount they were offering was also too small and instead went for Alex sabella.
    Its like when Blackburn chairman telling Kenny Dalglish that why does he want to sign Zizou when they have Tim Sherwood.

Inter Milan having 2 brothers on their books, kept the senior 1 and let the junior 1 to leave. The junior 1 was Franco baresi of cos
    Sheffield refusing Maradona really is amusing,because if i remember reading correctly,the Argentine press slaughtered the managment for not taking Maradona to the 1978 finals because he was too young.He was 17 at the time.SO the time you're talking about must have been around 1975.In three years time he was already developing into a footballing monster.It was probably good for his career IMO.I dont think he would have turned into the same player that he was had he gone to England instead.

Also,Maradona's dislike for the english seems to have developed even before the Hand of God incident,no?He had moved to Napoli even before the '86 finals,and the fact that you mention his unwillingness to play for Venables kinda shows that he wasnt fond of the english game to being with.

You're from England,so how does the public look at Maradona?I know that the scots love him.

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003

i always got that feeling about maradona. He is someone who strives on the love of the people and loves he attention.

Same reason is why Totti stayed in Roma for all these years despite having numerous chances to leave.

OP
    denco

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #289
    I love the Cammora:D

Sheffield refusing Maradona really is amusing,because if i remember reading correctly,the Argentine press slaughtered the managment for not taking Maradona to the 1978 finals because he was too young.He was 17 at the time.SO the time you're talking about must have been around 1975.In three years time he was already developing into a footballing monster.It was probably good for his career IMO.I dont think he would have turned into the same player that he was had he gone to England instead.

Also,Maradona's dislike for the english seems to have developed even before the Hand of God incident,no?He had moved to Napoli even before the '86 finals,and the fact that you mention his unwillingness to play for Venables kinda shows that he wasnt fond of the english game to being with.

You're from England,so how does the public look at Maradona?
    I know that the scots love him.
    Yes you are right, his dislike for England stemmed from the falklands islands war in 1981//82. It was feared at the time in the 82 finals for Argentina and England not to meet because it may have been impossible to play a football match between the 2 countries then because of the conflict.

In England we are atill celebrating and talking about 1966 world cup win,you think something that happened in 1986 would have escaped the memories oof some us, not a chance.

We would still be cursin Maradona's great great great great great great great great grand children in the year 4050.

Someone mentioned Bergkamp and it is true that he is a great player but his downfall and what possibly stopped him from being mentioned among the very best is his lack of mental toughness.

Bergkamp choked like no other as he had the skill, technique to rival the best but whenever the going got tough he just disappeared.

Maradona followed up goal of the century against England by totally destroying Belgium.

Bergkamp followed up goal of the last 20 years in a world cup by being totally anonymous against Brazil and that is just 1 example of numerous times he has choked

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
    Bergkamp is obviously not in Maradona's league.Another thing which could count against him IMO,was the fact that he lacked the ability to carry a team on his shoulders.Baggio used to do that during his Juventus years,Maradona did that better than any player in history,and so did so many other players,but Bergkamp was found wanting here IMO.This could be down to the fact that he had other class players like Overmars,Henry etc with him at Arsenal,but still,i found his ability to lead a team single handedly pretty limited.

lavenderguy

Feb 28, 2005
    definitely Maradona..he's a true legend...almost single handedly carried argentina and napoli showed u the greatness of the man. He's like a God for Argentina fans, i saw in Ripley actually there's a religion where Diego is their God!! serious!!
    I didn;t see Pele play so I will skip him. as so to Muller, Best, Cruff, Di Stefano, Puskas, Eusebio..these are all legends but i just haven;t started to watch football by then.
    I reckon Baggio, Luiz Ronaldo, Zidane, Romario, Platini are just some of the names I reckon as fantastic player esp Baggio, Ronaldo and Zidane.Baggio probbaly the best Italian ever, Ronaldo got his record and Zidane always shine in big tournament(except wc2002) but I think we need to look to the future.
    I hope the young generations will onpar if not surpassed the achievement of these legends, the likes of Kaka, C.Ronaldo, Messi, Aguiero, Dos Santos, Pato, Bojan, Rooney etc etc...they r the future of football, let's hope they bring more joy and entertainment to football fans around the globe.

lavenderguy

Feb 28, 2005
    Oh yea and Del Piero is my favourite player of all time, but to say he is the best player, he is not.Probably the top 15 in my list...(whole playing time) and maybe top 5(peak 95-98) however, he's the best juve player ever IMO...on and off the pitch..hehe
    just my 2 cents

May 22, 2007
    Yes you are right, his dislike for England stemmed from the falklands islands war in 1981//82. It was feared at the time in the 82 finals for Argentina and England not to meet because it may have been impossible to play a football match between the 2 countries then because of the conflict.

In England we are atill celebrating and talking about 1966 world cup win,you think something that happened in 1986 would have escaped the memories oof some us, not a chance.

We would still be cursin Maradona's great great great great great great great great grand children in the year 4050.
    The other goal he scored in the game vs England really helped his case because I think some in this country would have tried hunting him down. I think that is why the majority of this country think that Pele is the greatest ever.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
    You mean England?They probably think Rooney or Ronaldo is the greatest ever.
    Yeah..their world is much much smaller than the rest of us. Jeez, I remember a few weeks ago they were hailing Ronaldo's free kick as the best ever...I mean it was really good, but I've seen that sort and better...

Ronaldo shouldn't be mentioned as best ever just for his attitude...I mean the guy has arrogance all over, he's talking like he's divine, nobody better....I can't imagine what he'll be like when he starts showing in the big games..... I guess he's in the right league.

JuveAdam

Moggi santo..subito
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gaetano Scirea is without doubt the greatest player of all time. He is one of the only five players in European football history –join to Antonio Cabrini, Sergio Brio, Stefano Tacconi and Danny Blind- to have won all national and international trophies for football clubs recognized by UEFA and FIFA . He played for the azzurri for more than a decade during which he was almost irreplaceable as the leading defender, and became World Champion with the 1982 FIFA World Cup winning team.

Scirea was a graceful defender of great skill and tactical ability. In contrast to the ruthless tactics often employed by other defenders, Scirea was renowned for his class, fair play and sportsmanship. He was never sent off or suspended during his entire career, which is probably a football record for a defender of international level, and this says a lot about his temperament and the level of his skill.During the 80's Juve was full of stars. Although there were players such as Bettega, Zoff, Tardelli, Platini, Brady, Boniek, Gentile and Furino, just to mention a few of them, there was one above of everyone else. Gaetano Scirea. The club has done what is right and proper by dedicating to Scirea the end where the hardcore fans gather. He was a clean fighter, capable of transmitting confidence and strength at the same time. On the evening of the Heysel Stadium tragedy in Brussels in May 1985, it was Scirea who spoke on the microphone to try to calm the thousands of people traumatised by what was happening.

The absolute class of Scirea is the yardstick by which ALL Italian defenders are judged. He is without doubt the greatest ever, our Curva is not named in his honour lightly. Might I suggest Alexander looks at the list of legends who've worn our shirt, then thinks that above all these, the curva is named for our Scirea. This alone tells you all you need to know.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
    I think that C. Ronaldo is overrated. I agree his performances are outstanding but what about when he comes up against a strong defense like Italy or Milan last year. He is knocked out of the game. Alot is riding on euro 2008 for Ronaldo to prove himself. Ronaldo has a chance to put himself up alongside the all time greats of world football and he'd better not waste. Sure he is young but i have a feeling he is an earlier peaker and i think that his football is going to nosedive in his late twenties.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)