Greatest player of all time and why (2 Viewers)

OP
denco

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #242
    I'm sorry but Zidane was not superb in the W.C. 2006 and had nothing on Cannavaro or Pirlo that summer. He was amazing against Brazil and good against Italy. Every other game he failed to stand out. Maradona is probably the best player to have ever lived yet i have only been a football fan for about ten years so i can't say who is the best. Watching highlights on youtube does not justify my opinions and I have to say i have no idea who it is because i have not seen them all.

I have to say though one player who really could have been one of the best to have ever lived was Cassano. He was so talented so young and i had high hopes for him. He threw it away and even after spending years on the Madrid bench he comes back to Sampdoria and is an automatic hit. I am not saying he would have been the best at all but Imagine if Cassano had stayed at Roma and played constant football for the past few years. I have no doubts that he would have at least one Ballon d'or.
    I honestly don't think there is a best player to have ever lived because how can you compare a forward or midfielder to a defender and especially a Goalkeeper. To be 100% honest i think in the years that i have been watching football the player who has been consistently outstanding and been most important for his team is Gigi Buffon. He is the best Goalkeeper i have ever seen and although he will never be recognized since he is a goalkeeper imo he is the greatest player i have ever seen. And before you ask yes i am extremely biased and i admit so my opinion is not the best.
    I am sorry but thats absolutely absurd. Cassano is not anywhere near a great talent let alone 1 of the best ever.

I get perplexed when people say that. To me he is comparable to Rooney and anyone that says Rooney is 1 of the best ever must have been sniffing panadol thinking it was cocaine making that person both high and silly.

Every little thing he does is blown out of proportion and his behavious no doubt adds to his mystique. He is nowhere near the talents of Totti, Dp, Figo, Baggio, Michael Laudrup, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Zico, Raul when they were at their best. I am sorry there are way too many players I find far superior to him.

If he was a gentle person then we would not even be talking about him as he is no where as good as the column pages he fills, he has talent so has Dominic Morfeo and paolo Di canio. Maybe my bias is shining thru but for Cassano to mentioned amongst the all time greats for me presents a great insult.

I can comfortably name 100 players superior to him past and present without hesitation or exaggeration.

Yes Cannavaro and Pirlo had better world cups than Zidane but they were not in bad form coming up to the tournament but Zz was in wretched form whilst Henry and Ronaldinho were in great form but in terms of catching the imagination Zidane was sublime in the biggest matches of the tournament.

@ Salman, yep Brazil vs Italy 82 ranks amongs the best of all times and i am sure they were refering to the brazil vs italy 70 as the other 1 but like you mentioned it was no classic as Italy only played well in the first half and were tired.
    Perhaps you misread and they actually meant Italy vs west Germany in 1970 as that was a great game.

France vs west germany 82 was also a classic game for me

I thought argentina vs romania in 94 was very good as was france vs brazil in 86

England vs west germany in 90 was good as well

2002 did nto provide me with any memorable games but 06 had italy vs germany that was very good

OP
    denco

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #244
    Sorry Salman I got carried away with Cassano and forgot about your question regarding Baggio. Its just that i was too shocked to see cassano's name being mentioned in a thread like this.

As for baggio he is imo 1 of the 3 most talented players juventus have ever had, the others being Dp and ZZ.

He was indeed a great player, 1 of Italy's finest with only Baresi and maldini his equal in terms of best Italy player in the last 20 years.

He would just fall short of the greatest ever cos of his inablity to inspire a team to win the big prizes like wc, euro or cl league.

Another negative was baggio was not really a team player, if he is not the go-to guy then he was not as effective.

Some people use his penalty miss against Brazil to put him down but i find it absolutely absurd as anyone can miss penalties like the entire England team would tell ya.

Would he make my top 10 best ever? I dont think so but I rate him very highly nonetheless. To overcome career threatening knee injuries at the start of his career to go and enjoy a very prolific and rewarding career, not to mention scoring 200 seriea goals is enough for you to just kiss his ass.

His best position was behind the strikers but managers tended to use his as a second striker which was not realy his forte but he did evry well nevertheless.

Best ever Italian free kick taker? Possibly

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    I am sorry but thats absolutely absurd. Cassano is not anywhere near a great talent let alone 1 of the best ever.

I get perplexed when people say that. To me he is comparable to Rooney and anyone that says Rooney is 1 of the best ever must have been sniffing panadol thinking it was cocaine making that person both high and silly.

Every little thing he does is blown out of proportion and his behavious no doubt adds to his mystique. He is nowhere near the talents of Totti, Dp, Figo, Baggio, Michael Laudrup, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Zico, Raul when they were at their best. I am sorry there are way too many players I find far superior to him.

If he was a gentle person then we would not even be talking about him as he is no where as good as the column pages he fills, he has talent so has Dominic Morfeo and paolo Di canio. Maybe my bias is shining thru but for Cassano to mentioned amongst the all time greats for me presents a great insult.

I can comfortably name 100 players superior to him past and present without hesitation or exaggeration.
    well said denco my man, this is the main reason that i dread cassano ever coming to juve, his attitude,behavioral problems,fitness level and ability to be part of a team are all questionable. cassano's skill and talent are there for all to see but, like rooney, it was all blown out of proportion simply because he was a native. he was given way too much, far too soon and he has never been able to fully handle teh weight of expectation that he found himself under.
    i very much doubt whether any coach will ever get 100% from him, to be able to get underneath all the problems (emotionally and physically) and get cassano to live up to his potential.
    another wasted talent with a god-given gift, such a pity that he lacked the intelligence to fully appreciate it

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007
    does no one think that a defender or a goal-keeper could be the greatest player of all time? scirea, baresi, gentile, buffon or any other great defender of gk?

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    see this is where the arguement falls down IMO, who is to say that dino zoff was not the greatest,. was his contribution over his career not betetr than maradonna?he won the world cup, serie a, uefa and european cup.

maradonna may have been the most skillful player of all time, pele the greatest stiker, beckenbauer teh greatest sweeper(or maybe baresi) whoa re to say that their contribution was any less?

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
    Sorry Salman I got carried away with Cassano and forgot about your question regarding Baggio. Its just that i was too shocked to see cassano's name being mentioned in a thread like this.

As for baggio he is imo 1 of the 3 most talented players juventus have ever had, the others being Dp and ZZ.

He was indeed a great player, 1 of Italy's finest with only Baresi and maldini his equal in terms of best Italy player in the last 20 years.

He would just fall short of the greatest ever cos of his inablity to inspire a team to win the big prizes like wc, euro or cl league.

Another negative was baggio was not really a team player, if he is not the go-to guy then he was not as effective.

Some people use his penalty miss against Brazil to put him down but i find it absolutely absurd as anyone can miss penalties like the entire England team would tell ya.

Would he make my top 10 best ever? I dont think so but I rate him very highly nonetheless. To overcome career threatening knee injuries at the start of his career to go and enjoy a very prolific and rewarding career, not to mention scoring 200 seriea goals is enough for you to just kiss his ass.

His best position was behind the strikers but managers tended to use his as a second striker which was not realy his forte but he did evry well nevertheless.

Best ever Italian free kick taker? Possibly
    - Platini too ;)

- Del Piero has scored more goals from freekicks than Baggio, (yes,
    I've seen all of them), and with various shooting methods, wheres RB mostly used the inside of his foot, always actually.

Good post btw.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    No disrespect to anyone's post.

But how can someone rate a player as his fav or the best according to him when he hasn't seen him playing but only watched the highlights and replay???

It's obvious Denco is old enough and has watched lot of world cups from the 80's and maybe some other couple of members, but I myself can't really say who is the best (unless I've seen them playing and i followed them regularly) since I haven't seen lot of these players name mentioned on this thread playing or followed their League seasons match, WC, Euro etc.... I can never judge on them.

The question should probably be, "Since you started watching football", it makes more sense to me this way.

OP
    denco

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #250
    - Platini too ;)

- Del Piero has scored more goals from freekicks than Baggio, (yes,
    I've seen all of them), and with various shooting methods, wheres RB mostly used the inside of his foot, always actually.

Good post btw.
    You are right i forgot about Platini there. Are you sure that Dp scored more free kicks that Baggio?

Then again when Baggio was with us Moggi was not ( i am kidding before hell breaks loose)

But the reason i rate his higher than Dp was that at 1 time Dp was not taking his free kick taking seriously. Some of his attempts were sometimes lame to put it mildly though he is now back to taking good free kicks.

When he first started there was a Dp zone where you knew if you give away a free kick there then it was almost scertainly a goal, he kinda lost thatand though he took a lot of kicks some of them were so weak they barely reached the wall let alone go past it. Baggio never really had a dip in his free kick taking

Roberto Carlos is 1 of those players that would take 50 kicks a season and not 1 on target let alone score from. But he did score arguably the best free kick ever cos that defied physics and logic.

One of the funniest Juve matches I saw regarding free kick taking wasa uefa match, cannot rember the opposition but we were given a free kick that favoured a left footer and Ravanelli came up to baggio wanting to take it and baggio's expression was almost like fook off and Ravanelli just started waving his hands in the air something like baggio wants to take every free kick for Juventus. His expression was priceless.

The most annoying was Italy vs Romania in Bucharest and Italy were awarded a free kick in an extremely promising position, Dp and Totti were debating who to take it, when along comes captain Albertini to tell both of them to get lost and he just played the weakest free kick you would ever see straight to the goalkeeper, nothing more than a back pass.

The ego on some folks just because he was made captain for the day he decided to usher off 2 of the finest exponents of free kick taking and then me completely messes it up but I guess it does not measure up to the mess Pires and henry did while trying to make a creative penalty.

Azzurri7 is right though as its hard to say how great a player was if you never saw him play 90 minutes on a regular basis and thats why its hard for me to quantify Di Stefano, Pele, Best, Cruyff cos all i saw were clips.

I have not even seen clips of our own Boniperti as he was meant to be quite the player but I did see capello on espn classics and for the whole highlights Juve vs Ajax in European cup final, he never touched the ball but I hear he was a skilful player.

Scirea though was fantastic, a sweeper of enormous talent. I didnt appreciate Gentile as kicking people is not something I regard as a talent.

There are no real dirty or nasty characters anymore, i guess the closest you'd come to nasty is Materazzi but most defenders nowadays either just mistime their tackles but do not deliberately go out to hurt ya. Unlike animals like Bruno of Torino and Goiccecha of atletico Bilbao and some tasty ones in England

OP
    denco

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #252
    I told you for the highlights I saw he was not anywhere near the ball so I have no idea. I knew he was playing cos at the beginning of the program his name was in the lineup.

I bet if Dp was manager he would have taken him off judging by that performance as he was chasing shadows all night

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    From the early 90's till now, I think I'd go with Alessandro Del Piero as the greatest player I've seen. I think I've explained pages back why I see him as the greatest.

Ronaldo, Zidane, Romario, Maldini would also be on my top 10 list as the greatest players in the last 15years.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    From the early 90's till now, I think I'd go with Alessandro Del Piero as the greatest player I've seen. I think I've explained pages back why I see him as the greatest.
    What a surprise
    :lol2:

From the ones i've seen it's between Maradona and Zidane, with small advantage given to Diego.
    Van Basten, Ronaldo and Baggio follow on 3rd , 4th and 5th.
    Del Piero is right behind these 5.

My personal favourite when i was a kid was Dr.Socrates. Another great Brasilian.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
    As far as seeing goes,Id have to go with Bergkamp.He was the one player,that i did see a lot of even though ive never been an EPL fan.Bergkamp for me,has to be one the most graceful players ever.The fact that he refused to travel by plane used to make me cringe,but he was THE man.

There have been so many players in the late 1990's,who were so full of promise,but someone they just faded away.Anyone remember Ortega for instance?He was one HECK of a dribbler.Not just attempts at dribbling,but proper,classy dribbling.I remember seeing him during the 1998 finals,and i was extremley impressed,which reminds me of the Holland-Argentina semifinal from the same tournament,where Bergkamp scored argaubly the goal of the tournament.The match itself was brilliant too.I was rooting for Argentina,but i wasnt sad to see them go out after the quality of the match.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    I knew someone like you was going to reply right after my post:pumpkin:
    I wanted to reply after this post :
    No disrespect to anyone's post.

But how can someone rate a player as his fav or the best according to him when he hasn't seen him playing but only watched the highlights and replay???

It's obvious Denco is old enough and has watched lot of world cups from the 80's and maybe some other couple of members, but I myself can't really say who is the best (unless I've seen them playing and i followed them regularly) since I haven't seen lot of these players name mentioned on this thread playing or followed their League seasons match, WC, Euro etc.... I can never judge on them.

The question should probably be, "Since you started watching football", it makes more sense to me this way.
    It was obvious you were preparing the ground to have a legitimate reason to vote for Del Piero, but i wasn't 100% sure that was your intention.
    Now i am sure it was :p

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    As far as seeing goes,Id have to go with Bergkamp.He was the one player,that i did see a lot of even though ive never been an EPL fan.Bergkamp for me,has to be one the most graceful players ever.The fact that he refused to travel by plane used to make me cringe,but he was THE man.

There have been so many players in the late 1990's,who were so full of promise,but someone they just faded away.Anyone remember Ortega for instance?He was one HECK of a dribbler.Not just attempts at dribbling,but proper,classy dribbling.I remember seeing him during the 1998 finals,and i was extremley impressed,which reminds me of the Holland-Argentina semifinal from the same tournament,where Bergkamp scored argaubly the goal of the tournament.The match itself was brilliant too.I was rooting for Argentina,but i wasnt sad to see them go out after the quality of the match.
    I agree. Bergkamp is also on top. One of the smartes players I've seen. He wasn't as fast as Ronaldo nor as talented as Del Piero but he had other things to cover it up such as his finishing, his one touch, passes etc. Good vision as-well on the ball.

He's a great player.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
    Have you seen a compilation of the greatest goals scored in the EPL?Dennis has two in the top 5 i think.They arent Maradona like bursting-through-an-entire-team type goals,but extremley graceful one or two odd touches where he leaves the defence completley stunned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)