Grande Stevens OUT, new President IN? (1 Viewer)

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
Aug 1, 2002
Zoff or Boniperti for Juve
Thursday 25 May, 2006

The race for the Juventus Presidency seems to be a straight sprint between Dino Zoff and Giampiero Boniperti, according to reports.

The two club legends are in contention to replace Franzo Grande Stevens after he made it clear on Wednesday that he no longer wishes to hold the position.

“The next President will be a great Juventus figure from the past, but not a Frenchman,” said John Elkann, who is part of the Agnelli family which own the club.

“In this phase, we need to face the situation head on with expert people, professionals and those competent in their specific fields.”

Elkann consequently silenced the rumours suggesting that Michel Platini was set for a sensational return, but it does leave the door open for Zoff and Boniperti.

Zoff (pictured) made his name as a goalkeeper with Juventus and does have leadership experience after being named as President of Lazio in the past.

However, it is unclear whether the former Italian national boss would be willing to return given the way he exited the Turin club in 1990.

Despite coaching the outfit to the UEFA Cup and Coppa Italia double, he was replaced by the disappointing Gigi Maifredi.

That could allow the 78-year-old Boniperti to make a somewhat unexpected return to the sport and Juventus.

Boniperti possesses all of the Juve style that the club are keen to embrace again after scoring 178 goals for the outfit between 1946 and 1961.

He was later promoted to President and was in charge of the legendary Giovanni Trapattoni era when the Old Lady became the best team in the world.

Reports on Thursday also suggest that past heroes such as Francesco Morini, Beppe Furino, Franco Causio and Antonio Cabrini may be given new roles in Turin.

Channel4

Buy on AliExpress.com

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
Boniperti would be very interesting to bring back and bring some new blood with him.

bettega would be a safer choice, although he was from the last era..i think he would be ok in that position as his concern is only abt footbll.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
this is the first picture i see for the great Boniperti, mybe its a positive move to get him back..he was very successful as a player and as a president

all the luck to him if that was true

OP

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
  • Thread Starter #48
    On SkyTV they reported that John Elkan wants to have Roberto Baggio as Juve's vice-President. He's doing everything to get Roby's yes. They added that Baggio gave his availability to join them.

I might add that this is the same SKY that siad Vieri signed for Juve and a couple minutes later he signed with Milan.

isha00

Jun 24, 2003
    mark77 said:
    On SkyTV they reported that John Elkan wants to have Roberto Baggio as Juve's vice-President. He's doing everything to get Roby's yes. They added that Baggio gave his availability to join them.

I might add that this is the same SKY that siad Vieri signed for Juve and a couple minutes later he signed with Milan.
    And this is what gives me hope. Hope that it's not true.

OP

Mark

The Informer
    Administrator
    Dec 19, 2003
  • Thread Starter #50
    Do we even need a v-p? This is just to give a better image to Juve around the world and in italy. Baggio is loved by most but the way he left Juve and the things he said don't go well with some Juventini. There's a lot more candidates for that position before Roby. Still, the guy is a legend a did wonders with Juve and Italy.

white_rabbit

Apr 9, 2006
    mark77 said:
    Do we even need a v-p? This is just to give a better image to Juve around the world and in italy. Baggio is loved by most but the way he left Juve and the things he said don't go well with some Juventini. There's a lot more candidates for that position before Roby. Still, the guy is a legend a did wonders with Juve and Italy.

i dont agree with that entirly

it was the moggi campain that drovr him out.

a similar situation is hapenning at real madrid were delbosqe is willing to go back now after perez is gone

+ juve has alot of retired great players that are loved almost everywere for example: platini, ravanelli, vialli

isha00

Jun 24, 2003
    Well, Baggio is also the one who refused to shoot a penalty against Fiorentina, when he played for us. After the match he picked up a Fiorentina scarf and put it on.

Anyway, his role would be only a representative one. As far as I see, the only thing his persona expresses is good football. Unfortunately, playing well isn't our most concerning problem at the moment. Baggio has no experience, is not a Juventino, isn't known to be a man true to his word, he's not what you'd call a great communicator, he's too young. The media will turn their back on him when they'll smell bianconero on his skin.

I think we could do a lot better than Baggio..

zizoufan

Z.Z T h e M a s t e r
    May 25, 2004
    isha00 said:
    Well, Baggio is also the one who refused to shoot a penalty against Fiorentina, when he played for us. After the match he picked up a Fiorentina scarf and put it on.

Anyway, his role would be only a representative one. As far as I see, the only thing his persona expresses is good football. Unfortunately, playing well isn't our most concerning problem at the moment. Baggio has no experience, is not a Juventino, isn't known to be a man true to his word, he's not what you'd call a great communicator, he's too young. The media will turn their back on him when they'll smell bianconero on his skin.

I think we could do a lot better than Baggio..
    good analysis + rep

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)